Another ref question, RE: 25-sec. play clock

PtownDude

If a rule is applied only when an official feels necessary what keeps him from defining necessary in a manner that gives another team an advantage?

Why are you trying to stir crap up when Offside has said he doesn't want this to turn into an argument?

I know several officials all over the state and they've all told me the same things Offside has said. Big deal.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the answer to your question is, yes, sometimes the officials will let the kids play to their own level. Sometimes, that means that we will keep the flag in our pockets and ignore procedural penalties if it will help the game move along. Maybe we won't call delay if neither team seems to be able to snap within 25 seconds, or maybe we won't be technical about an illegal formation or a shift. Again, sometimes it's about letting the kids play and understanding that nobody came to the game to watch the officials throw flags.

Even in a playoff scenario, if the game clock is not also running, the officials will probably not be too technical with calling delay of game.

I just think that leaves room to look like you are giving an advantage to one team or the other. I just can't see why you would let a team "Play to their own level". I think we all just want 25 seconds for everybody, nothing longer or shorter. It makes for a team that just wants to grind the clock out that much easier later on the game. I am all for the 25 second play clocks.

Can we talk you into changing your mind that easy on calls you make on Friday nights, LOL!!:laugh:

I'll always consider a well reasoned and articulated counterargument. However, a screaming, blown-a-gasket-temper-tantrum delivered at the volume of a tornado siren doesn't usually sway me. (But it's a lot more entertaining!)

Have to disagree. It is HIGHLY desirable that high school stadiums have play clocks. Take 100% of the pressure off officials and places it where it belongs within the rules. Its the obligation of coaches and players to play within the rules. Otherwise, change the rules. Thus far, the biggest excuse for not having them, and yes, its an excuse because in reality it isn't that costly when sponsorships are considered, has been cost.

Kissinger, any idea how much the 25 second clocks cost?

Kissinger, any idea how much the 25 second clocks cost?

I can't believe this thread has gone on for this long. The 'it's the rule and they have to enforce it" gang have to understand that the Federation rule book is about 65 pages and are chock full of rules but are much thinner than the 187 page NCAA rule book. Sunday rules are different than Saturday and Friday rules. I am sure that offsides has heard " he's outside the tackles, or the ball was uncatchable, or where's the horse collar flag" this season on a high school game. It is usually followed up with "you gotta call that!" I have some more electronic additions and rules to consider then.

Have a sensor along the sideline if a coach steps on the field to coach his team. Remember, it's the rule and the team is gaining an advantage.

Install a video camera for the umpire to wear with a wide angle lens because he can't possibly see all of the holding. He reviews after every play.

Install a motion detector at the line of scrimmage to determine who jumped first.

Have all elgible backs and receivers have electronic kneepads to register where their knee touched.

Change the ball to have every other panel with velcro to stop those pesky Tim Phillips' fumbles. It would make catching it easier by not bobbling it.

Install an electronic force field between goal posts to register if the kick is good.

Lay down a neutral zone rug to insure all offensive lineman's feet are within the required distance on all snaps. That outside lineman's foot seems to make the "straight line" look like an airplane wing.

Shouldn't every high school field install the yellow yard-to-gain line across the field?

Install a microphone in the facemask to pick up any profanity. Helmet lights up and sends a text message to his mom.

What do you think? :lol:

I can't believe this thread has gone on for this long. The 'it's the rule and they have to enforce it" gang have to understand that the Federation rule book is about 65 pages and are chock full of rules but are much thinner than the 187 page NCAA rule book. Sunday rules are different than Saturday and Friday rules. I am sure that offsides has heard " he's outside the tackles, or the ball was uncatchable, or where's the horse collar flag" this season on a high school game. It is usually followed up with "you gotta call that!" I have some more electronic additions and rules to consider then.

Have a sensor along the sideline if a coach steps on the field to coach his team. Remember, it's the rule and the team is gaining an advantage.

Install a video camera for the umpire to wear with a wide angle lens because he can't possibly see all of the holding. He reviews after every play.

Install a motion detector at the line of scrimmage to determine who jumped first.

Have all elgible backs and receivers have electronic kneepads to register where their knee touched.

Change the ball to have every other panel with velcro to stop those pesky Tim Phillips' fumbles. It would make catching it easier by not bobbling it.

Install an electronic force field between goal posts to register if the kick is good.

Lay down a neutral zone rug to insure all offensive lineman's feet are within the required distance on all snaps. That outside lineman's foot seems to make the "straight line" look like an airplane wing.

Shouldn't every high school field install the yellow yard-to-gain line across the field?

Install a microphone in the facemask to pick up any profanity. Helmet lights up and sends a text message to his mom.

Don't forget the sensor built into the back of the jersey that lights up when the block is actually in "the back". That would stop all the "THAT'S A BLOCK IN THE BACK" yelling from the coaches and the fans that think the shoulder is the back.

I wish I had more time.....I sure could come up with a bunch more of these fun inventions that would shut up a bunch of coaches!

:fight:

Vey funny insight, would definetly make officiating easier.

That's my favorite!