Another ref question, RE: 25-sec. play clock

PtownDude

At last week's Murray at Caldwell County football game, the referees were allowing the teams anywhere from 30-35 seconds to snap the ball after it had been marked ready for play.

The official on Caldwell's sideline even told the coaching staff that they were giving both teams 30 seconds. I counted several times where 32 or 33 seconds were running off before the ball was snapped after the "ready for play" whistle was blown without a penalty flag being thrown.

My question is this: Is it common practice among high school officiating crews to give teams a few extra seconds to snap the ball, or should the 25-second rule mean 25 seconds?

I don't think this had any effect on the outcome of the game. However, I can see where it could have an impact late in the game if one team is trying to run out the clock.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is this: Is it common practice among high school officiating crews to give teams a few extra seconds to snap the ball, or should the 25-second rule mean 25 seconds?

Please understand that I am treading on very thin ice by responding to this question--officials cannot comment on specific games, ever. (Next time, please ask a generic question and do not reference any specific teams). I was not there, I have no knowledge of the teams involved, the officiating crew nor the circumstances surrounding the question...

But the answer to your question is, yes, sometimes the officials will let the kids play to their own level. Sometimes, that means that we will keep the flag in our pockets and ignore procedural penalties if it will help the game move along. Maybe we won't call delay if neither team seems to be able to snap within 25 seconds, or maybe we won't be technical about an illegal formation or a shift. Again, sometimes it's about letting the kids play and understanding that nobody came to the game to watch the officials throw flags.

Even in a playoff scenario, if the game clock is not also running, the officials will probably not be too technical with calling delay of game.

Please understand that I am treading on very thin ice by responding to this question--officials cannot comment on specific games, ever. (Next time, please ask a generic question and do not reference any specific teams). I was not there, I have no knowledge of the teams involved, the officiating crew nor the circumstances surrounding the question...

But the answer to your question is, yes, sometimes the officials will let the kids play to their own level. Sometimes, that means that we will keep the flag in our pockets and ignore procedural penalties if it will help the game move along. Maybe we won't call delay if neither team seems to be able to snap within 25 seconds, or maybe we won't be technical about an illegal formation or a shift. Again, sometimes it's about letting the kids play and understanding that nobody came to the game to watch the officials throw flags.

Even in a playoff scenario, if the game clock is not also running, the officials will probably not be too technical with calling delay of game.

I concur.

I think that this happens more often than one would guess.

Yes, indeed. And sometimes the zebras look bad because last week's game was very close, the clock was ticking, and we had to be technical and make a procedural call against your team. And this week, we decided to ignore it against your opponent because this week, it doesn't matter.

I understand and for the most part don’t see an issue with officials giving teams “lead way” with the 25 second rule as long as it doesn’t unfairly affect one team and not the other. However, if 25 seconds is the rule, then why would it not be desirable for a high school stadium to have a 25 second clock? Wouldn’t it help both the teams and the officials when it comes to this rule?

I understand and for the most part don’t see an issue with officials giving teams “lead way” with the 25 second rule as long as it doesn’t unfairly affect one team and not the other. However, if 25 seconds is the rule, then why would it not be desirable for a high school stadium to have a 25 second clock? Wouldn’t it help both the teams and the officials when it comes to this rule?

Yes, that is a great idea on paper. But it's impractical at the highschool level because there are very few teams that can pull it off, even with teams who we all figure are "championship caliber".

If rules are not followed, then why have them. All we need are guidelines and we can decide when we think it should matter and cause problems.

Professional sports rules are black-and-white and are based on money.

NFHS rules are different: "...the purpose of interscholastic sports is an extension of the educational process." Officials can make decisions based on both the spirit, and the letter of the rules.

Please don't forget that important distinction.

If a rule is applied only when an official feels necessary what keeps him from defining necessary in a manner that gives another team an advantage?

Obviously, an official has to use good judgment and apply the rules fairly.

Please don't let this spiral into semantics; my point in responding to the original question is that sometimes, when conditions warrant, we're generous with the 25 second clock. And it's a bad idea to require 25 second clocks at all highschool venues--even in the championship rounds.

Obviously, an official has to use good judgment and apply the rules fairly.

Please don't let this spiral into semantics; my point in responding to the original question is that sometimes, when conditions warrant, we're generous with the 25 second clock. And it's a bad idea to require 25 second clocks at all highschool venues--even in the championship rounds.

I think the key word is fairly. As I have stated before, I think everyone is just looking for consistency in the current game they are playing.