McCain and G. Gordon Liddy

You are telling this to me?!? Perhaps you should invest in a mirror, sir!
No, the commentary was aimed at the original quote so there is no need to take a shot at me.

Listen, I didn't live through Watergate, all I know of G. Gordon Liddy is what I've learned from books and articles detailing the time. But, to say the advocacy of killing law enforcement officers, explicitly, is subject to mere nuance is a pill too great to swallow.
I did live through Watergate and Liddy paid a steep price for refusing to cooperate with the investigation. What Liddy said was not nearly as outrageous as what actually happened to the Branch Davidian children at the hands of Janet Reno. Even more disturbing was the way that federal marshals set-up Randy Weaver and then killed his wife and dog in the Ruby Ridge incident.

I agree with Liddy in principle although I would not have expressed my outrage at the needless slaughter of the Branch Davidians and the murder of Randy Weaver's wife in the blunt terms that Liddy used. In both cases, the government disregarded the safety of innocent victims and exaggerated the threat of the alleged criminals.

If the Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents were also before your time, you should familiarize yourself with them before condemning Liddy too harshly. I believe that those incidents were fresh on Liddy's mind when his comments were made.

Above all, people need to recognize the difference in words and actions. Liddy may talk a tough game but he never attacked his own government or set off bombs against political targets. Bill Ayers and his wife are unrepentant terrorists who did bomb public buildings and have no regrets.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Above all, people need to recognize the difference in words and actions. Liddy may talk a tough game but he never attacked his own government or set off bombs against political targets. Bill Ayers and his wife are unrepentant terrorists who did bomb public buildings and have no regrets.

THAT'S the difference between Liberals (Democrats) and Conservatives (Republicans).

Conservatives look at ACTIONS, while Liberals look at words/intentions.

As I was taught, "actions speak louder than words...."

Hmmm, someone who advocated specific methods for killing federal agents sure sounds like an upstanding person and a true patriot. I guess if you advocate fashionable illegal acts, you're cool. I get it now.

When Liddy made this statement several incidents occurred in the 1990's that he believed that an abusive government was violating Americans rights and that as Americans had the right to defend theirselves. Liddy always went for the extreme.

:thumb: Same here. Liddy is a genius and an outstanding interviewer and conversationalists. His radio show was far less political than most people would expect.

As I recall, Liddy paid his debt to society and was never in any trouble after he served his time. I would gladly welcome Liddy as a neighbor, and be perfectly confident that he would not blow up my house. :lol:

Nobody can accuse Liddy of not being a patriot and he has never declared war on his own country like Obama's buddy Bill Ayers did.

No, but he might Bug your house in the interest of National Security! :lol:

Liddy is a nut job who presents himself well. This man usurped the Constitutions, has had more speaking gaffs than just about anyone and can hold his arm over an open flame and not miss a beat. :D (Have to have read "All the President's Men" to get that one.) I wouldn't want him anywhere near me or mine but to each his own Aces. :thumb:

No, but he might Bug your house in the interest of National Security! :lol:

Liddy is a nut job who presents himself well. This man usurped the Constitutions, has had more speaking gaffs than just about anyone and can hold his arm over an open flame and not miss a beat. :D (Have to have read "All the President's Men" to get that one.) I wouldn't want him anywhere near me or mine but to each his own Aces. :thumb:

You make some decent points, Hatz. I certainly would not want to get into a property line dispute with Liddy. :D OTOH, having either Obama or Liddy as a neighbor would have one big drawback. They both have some crazy friends and their parties would have the potential of turning very ugly for neighbors.

Seriously, while your are correct about Liddy abusing the US Constitution more than three decades ago, he has been very actively defending it sent serving his time. OTOH, the Obama campaign has been actively trying to squelch the free speech rights of critics and has also shown a strong distaste for the Second Amendment.

You make some decent points, Hatz. I certainly would not want to get into a property line dispute with Liddy. :D OTOH, having either Obama or Liddy as a neighbor would have one big drawback. They both have some crazy friends and their parties would have the potential of turning very ugly for neighbors.

Seriously, while your are correct about Liddy abusing the US Constitution more than three decades ago, he has been very actively defending it sent serving his time. OTOH, the Obama campaign has been actively trying to squelch the free speech rights of critics and has also shown a strong distaste for the Second Amendment.

Yeah, I'm too old for those kind of parties. Now I just want the stupid "yippy" dogs (Not a reference to Abbie Hoffman) next door to be muzzled by 10 pm. :D

The statement to which I am referring was one that Liddy was widely criticized for explaining that it is best to aim at the groin of unannounced intruders, regardless of who they are.

Here is the rest of what Liddy said on the occasion to which you are referring and which the Huffington Post and Democratic Underground may have omitted:

You may still disagree with what Liddy said but it is wrong to quote somebody out of context to make a point, when you know that providing the correct context would not be as effective.

The above quote is from http://www.piratenews.org, which may be no more reliable than the Democratic Underground but I could not find a reputable source for Liddy's entire comment.

Aces - the above is how he couched it AFTER he said it on his radio show. We can all agree that he may have been massaging the truth a bit after an atrocious statement.

Here is the quote from his radio show:

"Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests."

--G. Gordon Liddy, radio show, 8/26/94

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1313

Aces - the above is how he couched it AFTER he said it on his radio show. We can all agree that he may have been massaging the truth a bit after an atrocious statement.

Here is the quote from his radio show:

"Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests."

--G. Gordon Liddy, radio show, 8/26/94

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1313

I am not disputing the quote, just the context. The quote you posted above undoubtedly was preceded and followed by additional sentences, which would provide that context.

I am not disputing the quote, just the context. The quote you posted above undoubtedly was preceded and followed by additional sentences, which would provide that context.

You mean like a Jeremiah Wright Sermon?? :D

• 1 month later...
No, the commentary was aimed at the original quote so there is no need to take a shot at me.

I did live through Watergate and Liddy paid a steep price for refusing to cooperate with the investigation. What Liddy said was not nearly as outrageous as what actually happened to the Branch Davidian children at the hands of Janet Reno. Even more disturbing was the way that federal marshals set-up Randy Weaver and then killed his wife and dog in the Ruby Ridge incident.

I agree with Liddy in principle although I would not have expressed my outrage at the needless slaughter of the Branch Davidians and the murder of Randy Weaver's wife in the blunt terms that Liddy used. In both cases, the government disregarded the safety of innocent victims and exaggerated the threat of the alleged criminals.

If the Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents were also before your time, you should familiarize yourself with them before condemning Liddy too harshly. I believe that those incidents were fresh on Liddy's mind when his comments were made.

I have been learning more about the WACO incident and while I agree that Federal Agents from the FBI and ATF handled that very badly, Koresh was begging them to do what they did. Koresh was given many opportunities to leave and he kept his people there for what...51 days? It was a very weird situation.

I have been learning more about the WACO incident and while I agree that Federal Agents from the FBI and ATF handled that very badly, Koresh was begging them to do what they did. Koresh was given many opportunities to leave and he kept his people there for what...51 days? It was a very weird situation.
The fact that Koresh wanted to die with all of his supporters does not excuse the actions of the FBI and ATF under Janet Reno's incompetent leadership. The children who died did not ask to be there and they were not there to embarrass the Clinton administration.

If you are unfamiliar with the Ruby Ridge events, I strongly encourage you to do some research. Several federal agents should have been jailed for their actions, IMO.

The fact that Koresh wanted to die with all of his supporters does not excuse the actions of the FBI and ATF under Janet Reno's incompetent leadership. The children who died did not ask to be there and they were not there to embarrass the Clinton administration.

If you are unfamiliar with the Ruby Ridge events, I strongly encourage you to do some research. Several federal agents should have been jailed for their actions, IMO.

I never said it excused their actions. Based simply on what I've read, the FBI and ATF were wrong.

Koresh was very odd though.

:lol: He doesn't have to say he agreed with Hitler's policies. We can use the same flawed logic used to tie Obama to Ayers:

Hitler ==> Liddy (admirer of Hitler) ==> McCain (recipient of Liddy's donations and close personal friend of Libby)

ergo

McCain is a secret Nazi!

:lol::lol:

I don't know if it's true or not, but I once heard a story that G. Gordon Liddy used to do a trick at parties where he would put the palm of his hand right down on the flame of a lighter or a candle and hold it there. When somebody finally asked him "Okay, what's the trick?" he replied, "The trick is not minding."

Again, I couldn't say whether that's true, but it would certainly be in keeping with the overall level of creepiness and umbrage I associate with the Nixon administration. That is a part of the Republican party I don't like and don't want to see return.

The reason Liddy was saying those things is because they had no right to invade that compound. Let me be more specific. They said they had heard there was inappropriate interactions going on between minors and adults at the compound. However, it was later revealed from an ATF agent that they raided because they were stockpyling weapons.

The raid was illegal just as the raid at Ruby Ridge was...

On top of that Bo Gritz told the ATF first hand he was/is/and will continue to stockpyle weapons at his compound...why hasnt the ATF raided his compound???