McCain and G. Gordon Liddy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoyed listening to liddy but haven't heard him in many years. Wouldn't want to associate with him though.
:thumb: Same here. Liddy is a genius and an outstanding interviewer and conversationalists. His radio show was far less political than most people would expect.

As I recall, Liddy paid his debt to society and was never in any trouble after he served his time. I would gladly welcome Liddy as a neighbor, and be perfectly confident that he would not blow up my house. :lol:

Nobody can accuse Liddy of not being a patriot and he has never declared war on his own country like Obama's buddy Bill Ayers did.

Nobody can accuse Liddy of not being a patriot and he has never declared war on his own country like Obama's buddy Bill Ayers did.

Hmmm, someone who advocated specific methods for killing federal agents sure sounds like an upstanding person and a true patriot. I guess if you advocate fashionable illegal acts, you're cool. I get it now.

Hmmm, someone who advocated specific methods for killing federal agents sure sounds like an upstanding person and a true patriot. I guess if you advocate fashionable illegal acts, you're cool. I get it now.
:lol: I am sure there are things that Liddy has said with which I would disagree but his advice on what to do if some jack-booted thug kicked your door in in the middle of the night without identifying themselves was on the money, IMO. Liddy has often quoted out of context, as is apparent from a post or two above. Liddy's part in Watergate probably killed what would have been a very successful political career. Liddy is as smart and articulate as Barack Obama believes himself to be. Liddy does share Obama's messiah-sized ego, which no doubt played a part in his fall.

:lol: I am sure there are things that Liddy has said with which I would disagree but his advice on what to do if some jack-booted thug kicked your door in in the middle of the night without identifying themselves was on the money, IMO. Liddy has often quoted out of context, as is apparent from a post or two above. Liddy's part in Watergate probably killed what would have been a very successful political career. Liddy is as smart and articulate as Barack Obama believes himself to be. Liddy does share Obama's messiah-sized ego, which no doubt played a part in his fall.

So now the people in the ATF are jack booted thugs? Is that what I just read?

And if there are times in which law enforcement has the right, and the need to kick doors down with out identifying themselves.

So now the people in the ATF are jack booted thugs? Is that what I just read?

And if there are times in which law enforcement has the right, and the need to kick doors down with out identifying themselves.

If jack booted thugs kick your door down without identifying themselves, then you have a right to defend yourself and your family. If you later learn that the corpses had the wrong house and were federal agents, then hopefully a jury of your peers would place the blame of their deaths on the right party. That was the context in which Liddy made the comments that I heard. He was not advocating indiscriminately shooting federal agents doing their jobs.

Thugs wear flak jackets?
If somebody kicks my door down in the middle of the night without showing identification and I can reach a gun, I will check their credentials later.

Liddy is an expert marksman and small arms expert. I doubt that a flak jacket would be very effective for anybody stupid enough to invade Liddy's domicile.

If jack booted thugs kick your door down without identifying themselves, then you have a right to defend yourself and your family. If you later learn that the corpses had the wrong house and were federal agents, then hopefully a jury of your peers would place the blame of their deaths on the right party. That was the context in which Liddy made the comments that I heard. He was not advocating indiscriminately shooting federal agents doing their jobs.

I seriously doubt the ATF would be busting down doors without yelling "ATF" as they enter. They have the right to enter without knocking if they have a no knock warrant. Therefore if someone hears "ATF" and they still pull a gun and shoot...

I'm really not sure why you are defending this guy.

I seriously doubt the ATF would be busting down doors without yelling "ATF" as they enter. They have the right to enter without knocking if they have a no knock warrant. Therefore if someone hears "ATF" and they still pull a gun and shoot...

I'm really not sure why you are defending this guy.

:lol: So if somebody kicks your door down and you have done nothing wrong and your wife is lying beside you and your children are just down the hall, you are going to assume that the intruder is telling you the truth?

Innocent people have been shot and killed because authorities have gotten the wrong address and entered innocent people's homes. I am not sure why you are demonizing a guy whose show you probably have not heard.

Liddy is not angel and he hates prison guards, who he insults constantly on his show. Liddy is not the right-wing nut that you are trying to portray. He is a libertarian with many friends from all walks of life. I think that you would have enjoyed his show. Liddy had some of the most interesting guests and best interviews that I have ever heard.

I have not heard the Liddy show in several years and I am not sure that he is still on the air. I was not a regular listener because I prefer more of a political focus, but Liddy is a very entertaining character.

From this quote it is obvious he isn't distributing advice for someone who encounters a break-in and later finds they were Federal agents.

If the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms insists upon a firefight, give them a firefight. Just remember, they're wearing flak jackets and you're better off shooting for the head.

From this quote it is obvious he isn't distributing advice for someone who encounters a break-in and later finds they were Federal agents.
The statement to which I am referring was one that Liddy was widely criticized for explaining that it is best to aim at the groin of unannounced intruders, regardless of who they are.

Here is the rest of what Liddy said on the occasion to which you are referring and which the Huffington Post and Democratic Underground may have omitted:

I was talking about a situation in which the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes smashing into a house, doesn't say who they are, and their guns are out, they're shooting, and they're in the wrong place. This has happened time and time again. The ATF has gone in and gotten the wrong guy in the wrong place. The law is that if somebody is shooting at you, using deadly force, the mere fact that they are a law enforcement officer, if they are in the wrong, does not mean you are obliged to allow yourself to be killed so your kinfolk can have a wrongful death action. You are legally entitled to defend yourself and I was speaking of exactly those kind of situations. If you're going to do that, you should know that they're wearing body armor so you should use a head shot. Now all I'm doing is stating the law, but all the nuances in there got left out when the story got repeated."

You may still disagree with what Liddy said but it is wrong to quote somebody out of context to make a point, when you know that providing the correct context would not be as effective.

The above quote is from http://www.piratenews.org, which may be no more reliable than the Democratic Underground but I could not find a reputable source for Liddy's entire comment.

You may still disagree with what Liddy said but it is wrong to quote somebody out of context to make a point, when you know that providing the correct context would not be as effective.

You are telling this to me?!? Perhaps you should invest in a mirror, sir!

Listen, I didn't live through Watergate, all I know of G. Gordon Liddy is what I've learned from books and articles detailing the time. But, to say the advocacy of killing law enforcement officers, explicitly, is subject to mere nuance is a pill too great to swallow.