Is It Okay....

Math's thread about word association with the candidates got me thinking. I know a couple people who say they don't want to vote for McCain, not because they like Obama better, but because he is "OLD".

So my question is, is it okay for someone to say they aren't going to vote for McCain because he's old? and if so, doesn't that make it okay for others to say they aren't going to vote for Obama simply because he's black? Personally, I feel both are equally wrong, and anyone who casts a vote for either reason should be stripped of their voting rights...

Thoughts?

I think age could be a legitimate concern although not a cause for immediate dismissal. It falls under the heading of health concerns.

Race, on the other hand, is only an issue if the candidate makes it one. If he/she displays a willingness to favor one race over the other or shows a disdain for one race, then it most definitely is an issue.

Will either factor affect one's ability to carry out the duties of the office? I suppose it's possible that advanced age could do so; although I don't know that Mr. McCain is at that point yet. Race shouldn't have any bearing on the ability to do the job.

I do believe that the "age factor" will be considered when naming a running mate for Mr. McCain.

Math's thread about word association with the candidates got me thinking. I know a couple people who say they don't want to vote for McCain, not because they like Obama better, but because he is "OLD".

So my question is, is it okay for someone to say they aren't going to vote for McCain because he's old? and if so, doesn't that make it okay for others to say they aren't going to vote for Obama simply because he's black? Personally, I feel both are equally wrong, and anyone who casts a vote for either reason should be stripped of their voting rights...

Thoughts?

Everyone carries their own life experiences and views of the world with them into the voting booth. I think each voter has every right to call upon whatever life experience or view they own in order to vote their conscience. Biases are certain to be included in anyone's views, helping to shape or misshape their perception of reality. Heck, who knows, there may be a poster on here biased against me just because I am in academia.:sssh:

Personally, I think the age issue is a more ligitimate concern than race. Age could eventually, although not necessarily, lead to some diminished cognitive skills and decision-making. Also, statistically, McCain is more likely to die while in office than is Obama. Hence, voters are right to consider that possibility, placing added importance on who is placed on the ticket with the elderly McCain.

So, while voters are right to consider whatever has shaped their view of the world, I personally feel that McCain's age is a more legitimate consideration than Obama's race.

I do not mean this as a "bash W response" even though we all know that my hobby is "W" Bashing;) I don't see how anyone could think that McCain's age or Obama's race could be a problem after what we've had running this country for close to 8 years. If we can live with him, barely, then I suppose we can live with either one of these men for a while also.

On another note and this is a sincere and serious question ...why doesn't Obama refer to himself as bi-racial?

I do not mean this as a "bash W response" even though we all know that my hobby is "W" Bashing;) I don't see how anyone could think that McCain's age or Obama's race could be a problem after what we've had running this country for close to 8 years. If we can live with him, barely, then I suppose we can live with either one of these men for a while also.

On another note and this is a sincere and serious question ...why doesn't Obama refer to himself as bi-racial?

Absolutely.

Here's a small part of the answer - Next time you fill out an application in which you have to answer "race" look at your choices. Under "check one" there is no "bi-racial" box. How do I know? I am also bi-racial, but I check "hispanic" on the application. I posted something explaining why in a P/R thread a couple of weeks ago. I think I understand your question, but it would be hard for anyone that is not bi-racial to understand why we choose to list our race as what we do. For myself, i do not deny my white heritage, but it has to do with experiences in my life.

Here's a small part of the answer - Next time you fill out an application in which you have to answer "race" look at your choices. Under "check one" there is no "bi-racial" box. How do I know? I am also bi-racial, but I check "hispanic" on the application. I posted something explaining why in a P/R thread a couple of weeks ago. I think I understand your question, but it would be hard for anyone that is not bi-racial to understand why we choose to list our race as what we do. For myself, i do not deny my white heritage, but it has to do with experiences in my life.

I am sure that Mr. Obama would emphatically agree with your statement to the nth degree.

I worked in the public for 28 years and I do know about applications and the choices they give you for your race. I've had to ask thousands and thousands of people their race and they not have a choice of bi-racial. So yes, I do undersand this problem and believe it or not, I fussed for all of those 28 years that we needed to give them a choice. It wasn't until I was ready to retire that they gave us the means of allowing a person to give us up to 5 choices for their race.

I just wondered why he never says a thing about being bi-racial. It makes me think that he's ashamed of the white part of his heritage.

^ This may be a naive question. Are employers even permitted to ask a person's age, race, gender on an application any more? Or is it a case of some companies can and some can't? Private/public, for example.

^ This may be a naive question. Are employers even permitted to ask a person's age, race, gender on an application any more? Or is it a case of some companies can and some can't? Private/public, for example.

I know that you're never allowed to ask their age, if they're married, have kids.

The gender/race question I'm not sure about. That's information an employer is required to accumulate, but the form isn't supposed to have any identifying info on it like name, SSN.

I know that you're never allowed to ask their age, if they're married, have kids.

The gender/race question I'm not sure about. That's information an employer is required to accumulate, but the form isn't supposed to have any identifying info on it like name, SSN.

So applications no longer have a spot for a birthdate? Whether you ask it or not, it seems relevant.

Our application asks if the applicant is over 18 and if over 25. No field for birthdate. Obviously, that gets collected if hired.

Protection against age discrimination in the hiring process, I assume.