Is It Okay....

Here's a small part of the answer - Next time you fill out an application in which you have to answer "race" look at your choices. Under "check one" there is no "bi-racial" box. How do I know? I am also bi-racial, but I check "hispanic" on the application. I posted something explaining why in a P/R thread a couple of weeks ago. I think I understand your question, but it would be hard for anyone that is not bi-racial to understand why we choose to list our race as what we do. For myself, i do not deny my white heritage, but it has to do with experiences in my life.

I think it should be illegal to have those boxes. Race should play NO PART IN ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the most irrelevant thing that we focus on in our society.

I don't care what race you are. And it perturbs me that our society puts more emphasis on a person's race than their character.

^ This may be a naive question. Are employers even permitted to ask a person's age, race, gender on an application any more? Or is it a case of some companies can and some can't? Private/public, for example.

I am so sorry - I jumped on the word application because True Blue and Gold used that term. To answer your question, no you are not allowed to ask a person's age, race or gender on an application. They will put a separate page to the application telling you if you want to answer those questions you can but if you choose not do it will not be held against you.

I should never have used the term application when discussing my job. What we had was history forms for people to fill out and we also had a computer program that ask the same questions. So once again, I am truly sorry that I used the term application when replying to TBG's post.

Why wouldn't it be serious?

Shouldn't ageism be treated the same way as racism? (Not sure ageism is the correct term, but you get what I mean.)

I think judging someone simply based on their age is wrong. However I think people have been and still are treated much worse in this country based on race and it's not even close. So while they are both wrong, I do not think they are both equally wrong. I think racism is far more serious because the fact of the matter is, the older you get, there is more potential for your body and mind to deteriorate. So sometimes basing a decision on age can be justified. I'm not saying that is happening to McCain at all though. Basing a decision on race alone however, can not be justified at all IMO.

I think judging someone simply based on their age is wrong. However I think people have been and still are treated much worse in this country based on race and it's not even close. So while they are both wrong, I do not think they are both equally wrong. I think racism is far more serious because the fact of the matter is, the older you get, there is more potential for your body and mind to deteriorate. So sometimes basing a decision on age can be justified. I'm not saying that is happening to McCain at all though. Basing a decision on race alone however, can not be justified at all IMO.

But for an office like the Presidency, where he'd be surrounded by top advisors, age shouldn't be a factor, wouldn't you agree?

I got a PM from someone who referred to the Democratic candidate with the first name as "Muslim."

That tells me that we still have plenty of folks that can't look past things like age, sex, race, and rumored religions.

I got a PM from someone who referred to the Democratic candidate with the first name as "Muslim."

That tells me that we still have plenty of folks that can't look past things like age, sex, race, and rumored religions.

Then they are ignorant (lacking the knowledge) or just out to get you riled up. Anyone that has been exposed to the facts and still chooses to believe that Obama is Muslim...well, there aren't nice words for them.

Back to the application issue, I think I already mentioned this once, but several years ago we had a teacher from Spain come to teach Spanish at our school. I took her to the utility office to get her electricity turned on. There was no box for Spanish. The woman behind the counter told her she HAD to choose a box. There was an Eastern European, but that was the closest one. The women then said, "How about Asian, will that work?" I simply added a new box at the bottom that said "Spanish" and checked it and told the woman that THAT would work or someone was going to hear from me about requiring race on an application and there not being enough choices.