A Few Thoughts From The Take 5ive

gametime

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info., I have been a little worried about his size.

Size isn't going to be a concern. He's physical out top, and not afraid of contact in the paint. That was one heck of a game to watch...

I spent most of my time watching the 15s and 16s today, but I did take in some 17s action here and there. Worked out pretty well because most if the talent at the event this year is at the younger levels.

Got my first looks at 2010 #3 Jared Sullinger, and came away VERY impressed. In the two games I watched he dominated the paint on both ends and scored at will with great footwork and touch. He's not going to wow you with athleticism, but he can flat out play the game.

2010 #14 Adreian Payne was a little off his game, but he's got great length and is at least 6'9". With him in the post with Sullinger on All Ohio Red, it's easy to see why they are considered the top U16 in the nation this year.

Two other guys on All Ohio Red were impressive as well. 2010 #65 Jordan Sibert got off to a slow start in game 1, but from there really turned it on the rest of the day. He's got very good athleticism and showed a great touch on his jumper. I'm also a sucker for guards that show plus effort on D at the AAU level, and he certainly did that today.

The player on that team that surprised me most on the day was 6'6" F James Weatherspoon. He's a bit undersized for a PF, but the kid busted his tail every second he was on the floor. He was the youngest kid on the roster at 15, and if he can grow another inch or two he's a real nice high major prospect.

In between the two All Ohio games I took in, I went over to the Rec Center to catch a U15 game between OBC and the Georgia Netburners. I was there to watch local Cincy sensation Chane Behanon and while he looked good I was really impressed with Netburners G Dai-Jon Parker. At around 6'3" he played some on and off the ball and was very fluid at both positions. He had high major written all over him.

Some quick hitters on what I did get to catch from the 17s.

Favors is a beast. Nothing new there.

Golden was less than impressive today. He wasn't attacking the rim like he did last year, and as a jump shooter, he's simply not an elite prospect. Talked to a high major assistant about him after the game I watched and the guy was not impressed either.

Christian Wattford also played in that game, and he looks like a very talented kid that will need some work once he gets to the next level. Strength is an issue, and he needs to add at least 20 pounds. Great athlete, though, and in time he'll be a good one.

Caught a few minutes of Domonique Ferguson and John Hood as I watched a blowout on the middle court while they were playing on either side. Ferguson is a huge get for UK. Very fluid on and off the ball, and plays a very versatile game. I think Hood is a guy who will give some minutes off the bench for a year or two before growing in to a starting role later in his career. Smooth jumper and solid all around game.

Any questions, just ask...

Thanks for the update!

It sounds like Seattle Rotary standout junior Josh Smith, considered one of the top Class of 2010 prospects in the nation, will be hard to get off the West Coast. But the 6-foot-9 Smith, who is a monster near the basket, said he is high on Louisville and Kentucky.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Here's a rundown I found on a game by Seattle Rotary Select that featured Peyton Siva and Josh Siva, both top 25 players.

I have never seen a box and chaser defense utilized by a big time program with two top 50 prospects until this weekend. The Seattle Select team's coach decided after having watched Jenkins go for 32 in the 8am game against Carolina Celtics and then opening up the game with a couple of quick hitters against his team was not about to let Jenkins do it again.

Even with the the box and one and trapping with using Peyton Siva, Jenkins still manages to drain 5 or 6 threes while only missing a couple with coach Pitino and some 70+ other coaches looking on. Jenkins maintained his poised even as the opposing coach was shouting instructions to his players to "find 24 and hold him, shut him down."

With 4 minutes to go and no other player in the top 500 on his squad, Jenkins had his fledgling team up 5 points before relinquishng the lead in the final seconds and watching Seattle stall with the ball to end the game with free throws deciding the final 5 point margin. Jenkins finished with 24 points.

All Ohio Force came out of nowhere to win the 17U crown after knocking off powers Atlanta Celtics and DC Assault. Very impressive run that likely moved a few of their guys up from mid major to high major status.

All Ohio Red won 16U behind a breakout weekend from Jordan Sibert. He came in to the week with his only offer from X, and left with several others including UT, UC and OSU. I watched every game they played over three days, and they were clearly the best 16U team in the building over and over again. Coach Webster was asking me about Adreian Payne, so look for UK to try and get in on him soon...

Just talked to Coach Webster for a while. Nice guy...

Webster has likely been BCG's best acqusition during his short tenure at UK. His ability to develop relationships with prospective recruits has been a breath of fresh air.

He is fantastic with kids...stories that I have heard, and a few coaches that I know who have dealt with him say he is good and can talk that "street talk".

He is the primary reason that UK got Darius Miller. He is the primary reason that the Richardson kid who verballed to Illinois...seems to be wavering, because it was Webster in Champaign at the time.

BCG has a really good staff...Webster may have been the biggest coup, and that is not to slight Cox and Coach Cyp.

All Ohio Force came out of nowhere to win the 17U crown after knocking off powers Atlanta Celtics and DC Assault. Very impressive run that likely moved a few of their guys up from mid major to high major status.

All Ohio Red won 16U behind a breakout weekend from Jordan Sibert. He came in to the week with his only offer from X, and left with several others including UT, UC and OSU. I watched every game they played over three days, and they were clearly the best 16U team in the building over and over again. Coach Webster was asking me about Adreian Payne, so look for UK to try and get in on him soon...

Sean Miller has been beating the bushes over the last few years...can not remember a time that Xavier was listed with so many of your upper tier prospects and he does it primarily through identifying them early.

Webster has likely been BCG's best acqusition during his short tenure at UK. His ability to develop relationships with prospective recruits has been a breath of fresh air.

He is fantastic with kids...stories that I have heard, and a few coaches that I know who have dealt with him say he is good and can talk that "street talk".

He is the primary reason that UK got Darius Miller. He is the primary reason that the Richardson kid who verballed to Illinois...seems to be wavering, because it was Webster in Champaign at the time.

BCG has a really good staff...Webster may have been the biggest coup, and that is not to slight Cox and Coach Cyp.

I was sitting up in the press box charging my camera and working on my laptop, and he was sitting at the table next to me. Talked about several kids, and he was very easy to chat with. Had a similar encounter with Forbes from UT and got the same vibe. Gave me a better understanding of why both are so good on the recruiting trail...

Sean Miller has been beating the bushes over the last few years...can not remember a time that Xavier was listed with so many of your upper tier prospects and he does it primarily through identifying them early.

My opinion of Miller as a coach is slowly starting to change...

Adding a big time AAU flavor to his staff hasn't hurt...

I was sitting up in the press box charging my camera and working on my laptop, and he was sitting at the table next to me. Talked about several kids, and he was very easy to chat with. Had a similar encounter with Forbes from UT and got the same vibe. Gave me a better understanding of why both are so good on the recruiting trail...

Steve Forbes was an assistant under BCG, I think at A&M, or maybe UTEP, then left for Tennessee. When BCG got UK job his first offer for an assistant was Steve Forbes. Forbes elected to stay.

He was primary reason Hopson landed at Tennessee.

Does a great job.

Steve Forbes was an assistant under BCG, I think at A&M, or maybe UTEP, then left for Tennessee. When BCG got UK job his first offer for an assistant was Steve Forbes. Forbes elected to stay.

He was primary reason Hopson landed at Tennessee.

Does a great job.

I'm pretty sure he was with him at UTEP, and might have joined him at A&M. Great JUCO ties as well...