A Few Thoughts From The Take 5ive

gametime

I spent most of my time watching the 15s and 16s today, but I did take in some 17s action here and there. Worked out pretty well because most if the talent at the event this year is at the younger levels.

Got my first looks at 2010 #3 Jared Sullinger, and came away VERY impressed. In the two games I watched he dominated the paint on both ends and scored at will with great footwork and touch. He's not going to wow you with athleticism, but he can flat out play the game.

2010 #14 Adreian Payne was a little off his game, but he's got great length and is at least 6'9". With him in the post with Sullinger on All Ohio Red, it's easy to see why they are considered the top U16 in the nation this year.

Two other guys on All Ohio Red were impressive as well. 2010 #65 Jordan Sibert got off to a slow start in game 1, but from there really turned it on the rest of the day. He's got very good athleticism and showed a great touch on his jumper. I'm also a sucker for guards that show plus effort on D at the AAU level, and he certainly did that today.

The player on that team that surprised me most on the day was 6'6" F James Weatherspoon. He's a bit undersized for a PF, but the kid busted his tail every second he was on the floor. He was the youngest kid on the roster at 15, and if he can grow another inch or two he's a real nice high major prospect.

In between the two All Ohio games I took in, I went over to the Rec Center to catch a U15 game between OBC and the Georgia Netburners. I was there to watch local Cincy sensation Chane Behanon and while he looked good I was really impressed with Netburners G Dai-Jon Parker. At around 6'3" he played some on and off the ball and was very fluid at both positions. He had high major written all over him.

Some quick hitters on what I did get to catch from the 17s.

Favors is a beast. Nothing new there.

Golden was less than impressive today. He wasn't attacking the rim like he did last year, and as a jump shooter, he's simply not an elite prospect. Talked to a high major assistant about him after the game I watched and the guy was not impressed either.

Christian Wattford also played in that game, and he looks like a very talented kid that will need some work once he gets to the next level. Strength is an issue, and he needs to add at least 20 pounds. Great athlete, though, and in time he'll be a good one.

Caught a few minutes of Domonique Ferguson and John Hood as I watched a blowout on the middle court while they were playing on either side. Ferguson is a huge get for UK. Very fluid on and off the ball, and plays a very versatile game. I think Hood is a guy who will give some minutes off the bench for a year or two before growing in to a starting role later in his career. Smooth jumper and solid all around game.

Any questions, just ask...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, what position do you think Ferguson and Hood project at when they get to UK?

Both can move positions, so it will depend on the roster. Ferguson can play the 3 or 4 and Hood can play the 2 or 3...

Any word on why Golden has backed out of his commitment to OSU. Do you feel that his stock has slipped?

Not sure who pulled the plug, but his game has clearly not trended up in the last year from what I saw and was told today. He was physically mature at a young age, and now that he's playing up with the big boys he looks pretty average...

Sometimes you have to be careful with a very young kid who is so physically mature that his dominance is not simply a function of maturity vs actual skill. I could see this being a question about Golden.

Do you see Hood more of a Cameron Mills or Jeff Shepherd? If he becomes as good as either.

I was watching three games at the time, so I don't have that good of a feel for him yet. From what I saw he plays under control with good athleticism and very nice form on his jumper. If I had to guess I'd say Shepherd...

Sometimes you have to be careful with a very young kid who is so physically mature that his dominance is not simply a function of maturity vs actual skill. I could see this being a question about Golden.

I think you can also put Euton in that category. Saw a little over half of one of his games today, and he's just not getting better IMO...