KHSAA Ruling Based On Bylaws - By Wilson Sears

Ram

KHSAA rulings based on bylaws

By Wilson Sears,

The article by Valarie Honeycutt Spears and the follow-up editorial about the Kentucky High School Athletic Association's eligibility rulings show considerable naívete regarding the very complex issue of controlling recruitment among KHSAA member schools.

Link

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sears is part of the problem... I mean really, who compares high school athletics with the NBA and other professional organizations.

I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of the rules and I feel that the by-laws in question need to be changed so that kids are not penalized when a family moves. Motivation for the move is irrelevant and impossible to judge.

Yes, I do have an appointment to talk with our regional board of control member to voice my opinion. I hope others will do the same.

Sears comes offer very condescending, here is an example:

Third, although many believe these by-laws are somewhat ambiguous and often unenforceable, neither the board of control, the state board nor the infinitely wise Legislative Research Commission has elected to change them — only to often suggest their lack of consistency.

Didn't Sears deride the private school proposal to create a stronger enforcement division of the KHSAA as implausible because the by-laws and rules that addressed recruiting were unenforcable?

Either the man has memory issues or he has honesty issues.

Sears' basic points are correct though. The rulings weren't inconsistent with the rules, even though the rules may need some changes.

I agree.

The inconsistencies come when you look at when Ms. DeVries/the KHSAA choose to enforce the rules and when they choose to grant exceptions.

Unfortunately all by-laws must also be blessed by a legislative review committee, composed of a few members of the legislature who know little of what goes on across the state as it pertains to athletics in general and recruitment of athletes specifically.

It seems Mr. Wilson is still upset about the LRC killing is baby - Prop 2.

Since Mr. Wilson was willing mislead the entire state on the facts of that proposition, his credibility on this issue is more than suspect.

To pass judgment on KHSAA decisions, you would have to have a thorough understanding of these by-laws and why they were adopted. Neither Spears nor the editorial board displayed any knowledge of these by-laws.

I guess this says if you weren't in the smoke filled back room drafting the very poorly written text that is called a by-law your are not allowed to judge it.

As someone who has read the by-laws and associated 'Case Situations' I will state the Bylaws are very broad and very high level. The Case Situations seem be a poor attempt to 'fill in' the vagueness of the formal By-law. The Case Situations definitely create new definitions and rules that are in no way tied to the formal By Law.

Third, although many believe these by-laws are somewhat ambiguous and often unenforceable, neither the board of control, the state board nor the infinitely wise Legislative Research Commission has elected to change them — only to often suggest their lack of consistency.

This is a classic bail out that goes - if you point out the problem you should provide the solution. I think most know this is not the case. It is up to KHSAA to fix its own house. As the BOC, LRC and many on this forum have pointed out the By-laws are mess. The fact that Case Situations must usually be cited in rulings points this out. If the commissioner must reference a Case Situation and not the actual By-law word then that is a definite problem. Its that simple.

Did you catch the swipe at the LRC? Mr. Sears is still very bitter that his bid to attack private schools was failed by people who protect the children of this state.

I think the commissioner is almost in a no-win situation on these rulings. Since the By-laws and associated Case Situations utilize apparent subjective reasoning then ALL rulings based on them will usually appear subjective. I think most people would agree the By-laws and rules should be OBJECTIVE in nature.

I think the commissioner is almost in a no-win situation on these rulings. Since the By-laws and associated Case Situations utilize apparent subjective reasoning then ALL rulings based on them will usually appear subjective. I think most people would agree the By-laws and rules should be OBJECTIVE in nature.

First bolded, agree 100%. Commissioner is between the proverbial rock and hard place.

Second bolded, don't believe it is possible. EVERY issue is going to be different in someway or the other. NO WAY to have a rule affecting every possible situation.

I think the biggest thing I see with the KHSAA is they fail to use common sense in a lot of situations. Like with the first article that came out about the KHSAA. They gave great examples of kids who should be allowed to play ball. And Ive said here before, Euton and Jackson moved across the state and had reasons to do so besides basketball, but because they even admitted they considered that they can't play now.

I think the biggest thing I see with the KHSAA is they fail to use common sense in a lot of situations. Like with the first article that came out about the KHSAA. They gave great examples of kids who should be allowed to play ball. And Ive said here before, Euton and Jackson moved across the state and had reasons to do so besides basketball, but because they even admitted they considered that they can't play now.

What you see as common sense is not necessarily what others would see as common sense.

It obviously indicates you cannot choice a school because of athletics.

It would be common sense to not make comments to the media that you are choosing a school with an emphasis on athletics.

And yet, that common sense was not followed.

Common sense would indicate that the person who did not follow the rules deserves a punishment.

That is what the KHSAA did.

ANYONE taking the position above would see common sense in the Euton situation.

Would it be objective to say every kid in the state gets one "free" transfer?

How about would it be objective to say that every kid who changes residences (no matter the reason)?

I think they could remove the "mind reading game" from the equation if they wanted to.

What you see as common sense is not necessarily what others would see as common sense.

It obviously indicates you cannot choice a school because of athletics.

It would be common sense to not make comments to the media that you are choosing a school with an emphasis on athletics.

And yet, that common sense was not followed.

Common sense would indicate that the person who did not follow the rules deserves a punishment.

That is what the KHSAA did.

ANYONE taking the position above would see common sense in the Euton situation.

I don't think what Mr. Euton did was a lack of common sense. I think it was a lack knowing the rules. I don't know why any parent would say something that they understood would be damaging to their child.

I know you don't want these 2 kids in this particular situation to be allowed to play and thats fine, you can think what you want. But I have also brought up other situations, like the 2 sisters and one was eligible and the other was not (I understand tere was a reason), but I believe that was a huge mistake by the KHSAA.

So then the rules should be fluid and not enforced when "common sense" says that there are extnuating circumstances?

And I still wonder how avidly people on this board would defend Euton's "right to play" had he opted for either LexCath or Lex Christian.

So then the rules should be fluid and not enforced when "common sense" says that there are extnuating circumstances?

And I still wonder how avidly people on this board would defend Euton's "right to play" had he opted for either LexCath or Lex Christian.

With the rules being this fluid as is now it becomes a judgement call in a lot of situations and I think they are making the wrong judements too many times.

As for Lexington Catholic, they get transfers a lot and they are being ruled eligible. They got Sanford from Lafayette last year and Winston Guy after his sophomore year (I believe, thats what I had heard) and they got a good guard from Bryan Station coming this year. I don't know what his status is. I don't see anyone upset because these guys are getting to play. I sure am not upset about it.