Top Teams 08/09 Part 2

I think Elliott Co. could win the title despite having just 6 guys that play. Their big 3 have superb conditioning and the team plays with lots of heart.

I think there are 10 or 15 teams, maybe more, that could pull off a state title this year. I think Elliott is definately one of those teams and should win against a top 25 team this year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hazard should be in the discussion of the top 5. All A finalists, a third quarter collapse away from being sweet 16 semifinalists, and a team that returns all 5 starters and 8 of their top 9 players. They have a very intelligent PG that makes them go and multiple athletes in Cambell, Jones, etc.

I think with Hazard it depends on Campbell. A friend told me he talked to one of Hazards players and said may not play this year. They are going to be good with or without him. But with him they will be really good.

Good list, but I'm willing to bet every coach in the state would say that entire list could be replaced after one or two weeks of play at the start of the season. There are no locks.

I am not going to rate any team after just a few weeks in....football and other sports can play a big difference in who looks good in early Dec and who is in the hunt in late Feb.

Covington Scott should be pretty good too. With Nikola, E.J., Nick Hiller, Jake Niederreger (sp?) and Kellen Smith they should be one of the top teams to beat in the 10th if not nky. I dont know if they could compete with the Scott Co. or Lex. Cath. but with Coach Carr running the show, I wouldn't ever count them out until the game is played.

I am not going to rate any team after just a few weeks in....football and other sports can play a big difference in who looks good in early Dec and who is in the hunt in late Feb.

This is a very accurate. However, my main point is that this year the top 5 will be much more fragile and all 5 could lose in the first week or two and other teams could have some big wins. Replacing the entire top 5 early would not come as a shock.

I agree with most everyones top 5 & I will also say the same thing I said last summer regarding Scott Co.,if Jackson is not eligible. "Point Gaurd, Leadership & mental toughness". Without Jackson I see the same point gaurd issues, though I do think Phares will be more of a leader than anyone from last years class & the prime contributors will be more mentally tough.

I never have placed too much stock in pre-season polls. Bragging rights and food for conversation only.

Some posters can go over the top with their team and certain players, while I feel others are objective and add to the thread. Both make interesting reading.

I agree with most everyones top 5 & I will also say the same thing I said last summer regarding Scott Co.,if Jackson is not eligible. "Point Gaurd, Leadership & mental toughness". Without Jackson I see the same point gaurd issues, though I do think Phares will be more of a leader than anyone from last years class & the prime contributors will be more mentally tough.

I agree, I think there has been a lot of debate on Euton's eligibility but I think the question of Jackson's eligibility is more important to the Cardinals.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO Euton will be eligible, there is absolutely no way that the state can justify his transfer not being legit. His dad lost his job due to Woolpert closing, he is free to move to any school he wants. His dad made some statements that "we looked around and Scott Co. had the best facilities and program and we thought that was best". The state board tried to crack the whip and will and should lose.

Jackson might have it a little tougher but probably should win his appeal too. He grew up in Lexington and his mother decided to take him back to that area. Hicks is an excellent coach and takes advantage of what his geographical location and local industry means to the school.

I say let the transfers play. Let Scott Co load em up so they can make another run at a state championship. That is the standard at Scott Co. The team would have been down a bit without them.

Makes a great challenge for the underdogs in the 11th and around the state. I think there might be a few giant killers out there this season.

Scott Co has great community support and will need it as the rest of the state will be pulling for the underdogs!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...