Will the ruling on Euton scare Zollo off at GRC?

It is not a legal issue period. The KHSAA is a voluntary organization, and the member schools make the rules. No school has to join the organization. And when they do, they sign an agreement to abide by the rules and decisions of the KHSAA. Several other states have had cases that made it all the way to their state supreme courts (maybe even the USSC). I think all the ruling have gone in favor of the athletic associations ability to make whatever rules they want.

I think the only real option is to get the rule changed. Even if a court somehow decided to take this case on, and found for the players, I still don't think they would play. The KHSAA could still penalize the schools if they let the players play, even under court order.

If the schools don't like the rules, then change them. Otherwise live with it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a legal issue period. The KHSAA is a voluntary organization, and the member schools make the rules. No school has to join the organization. And when they do, they sign an agreement to abide by the rules and decisions of the KHSAA. Several other states have had cases that made it all the way to their state supreme courts (maybe even the USSC). I think all the ruling have gone in favor of the athletic associations ability to make whatever rules they want.

I think the only real option is to get the rule changed. Even if a court somehow decided to take this case on, and found for the players, I still don't think they would play. The KHSAA could still penalize the schools if they let the players play, even under court order.

If the schools don't like the rules, then change them. Otherwise live with it.

The middle paragraph is the key phrase. Even if both parties (Jackson/Euton) do decide to take it to court it will do them no good.

We do like to win but it is time that we win with Scott County kids.

I work in the area and hear the same thing. A lot of the locals are kind of fed up with the whole situation that has been going on there for years. And it is not just parents of some kids who didn't get to play because of all the transfers.
When I read quotes like these, it starts to sound like the wheels are coming off the Welcome Wagon in Scott County… and I don’t just mean the school. It sounds like some people want all the perks of growth and prosperity, without having to share it with the people that made it possible.

Scott County is the third fastest growing county in Kentucky, and one of the top 100 fastest growing counties in the U.S. That means lots of new families are moving there with kids.

In just the past 15 years, the total households in the county grew from 8,506 to 14,500, income grew from $27,563 to $50,774, and the percentage of people living below poverty dropped by a third. More jobs, better pay, more amenities, restaurants, retail stores, hotels, and a much higher overall quality of life… including newer and bigger schools to contain all the new kids that have moved into to the county.

I don’t know what some folks consider a “Scott County kid” but over half the current population of Scott County was not born and raised in Scott County, and any of the families with kids who moved in over the past 20 years or so for better jobs and homes would be very selfish to complain about others doing exactly what they did.

If people are going to be upset with anyone, be mad at the state and county officials who wooed Toyota and other businesses into locating in a traditionally rural county.

The KHSAA is slowly losing it's grip and teeth in Kentucky. Their inconsistencies and holier than thou approach will eventually cost them funding and support. It is already happening all over the state with their fundraising and I believe will lead to a change in the leadership at KHSAA. I do believe it needs to change from about the top 5 up. A complete sweep of the SS ( I mean KHSAA). Sorry! The money it takes to fight the appeals and negative press is a distraction to the purpose of the association. Their decisions have affected and effected kids all over the Commonwealth and it was kids that had no athletic futures and high school was the only venue they would ever play in but they stood on principles and would not allow them to play but turn the other cheek now that it is a high profile player or players. HYPOCRISY!!!!

Edited by SAFE AT HOME
spelling

When I read quotes like these, it starts to sound like the wheels are coming off the Welcome Wagon in Scott County… and I don’t just mean the school. It sounds like some people want all the perks of growth and prosperity, without having to share it with the people that made it possible.

Scott County is the third fastest growing county in Kentucky, and one of the top 100 fastest growing counties in the U.S. That means lots of new families are moving there with kids.

In just the past 15 years, the total households in the county grew from 8,506 to 14,500, income grew from $27,563 to $50,774, and the percentage of people living below poverty dropped by a third. More jobs, better pay, more amenities, restaurants, retail stores, hotels, and a much higher overall quality of life… including newer and bigger schools to contain all the new kids that have moved into to the county.

I don’t know what some folks consider a “Scott County kid” but over half the current population of Scott County was not born and raised in Scott County, and any of the families with kids who moved in over the past 20 years or so for better jobs and homes would be very selfish to complain about others doing exactly what they did.

If people are going to be upset with anyone, be mad at the state and county officials who wooed Toyota and other businesses into locating in a traditionally rural county.

Now that is a wise post. :thumb:

Now that is a wise post. :thumb:
Thank you Sir! :thumb:

I admire your ability to cut through the fog as well.

I realize that facts aren't always popular, but when I read quotes like, "A lot of the locals are kind of fed up with the whole situation that has been going on there for years." it just amazes me.

Scott County did not grow in population at all between 1900 and 1975, but will triple in population by 2010. That means that nearly two-thirds of the current population has moved into the county in the past generation, household income has doubled, quality of life (including brand new elementary, middle and high schools) is off the charts and yet people are getting fed up with all the transfers?

Unbelievable...

A guy loses his job and has to relocate for his new job. He chooses a good school in a growing community for his kid, and you get people on here suggesting he should commute 240 miles and four hours a day with gas at $4 a gallon so his kid could stay at his old school, and the KHSAA says it's a move for athletic purposes... amazing.

There's not a school in Central Kentucky where Euton or Jackson could have transferred that it wouldn't have caused big problems for somebody.

I've said for a long time it's not the kids that are the problem, it's the adults. Threads like these, and rulings like Euton's prove it.

The KHSAA needs to do a better job policing its member schools who might actually be recruiting, and let parents do what they think is best for their kids.

Recruiting NO, parental choice YES.

I realize that facts aren't always popular, but when I read quotes like, "A lot of the locals are kind of fed up with the whole situation that has been going on there for years." it just amazes me.

Scott County did not grow in population at all between 1900 and 1975, but will triple in population by 2010. That means that nearly two-thirds of the current population has moved into the county in the past generation, household income has doubled, quality of life (including brand new elementary, middle and high schools) is off the charts and yet people are getting fed up with all the transfers?

Unbelievable...

A guy loses his job and has to relocate for his new job. He chooses a good school in a growing community for his kid, and you get people on here suggesting he should commute 240 miles and four hours a day with gas at $4 a gallon so his kid could stay at his old school, and the KHSAA says it's a move for athletic purposes... amazing.

There's not a school in Central Kentucky where Euton or Jackson could have transferred that it wouldn't have caused big problems for somebody.

I've said for a long time it's not the kids that are the problem, it's the adults. Threads like these, and rulings like Euton's prove it.

The KHSAA needs to do a better job policing its member schools who might actually be recruiting, and let parents do what they think is best for their kids.

:thumb:

Unbelievable...

:thumb::thumb:

Unbelievable...

That guy was also quoted as saying part of the move was for athletic reasons as well. Whether you want to admit it or not, those FACTS make the kid ineligible. As Ram has said many times, the day they left Rose Hill they became ineligible. It is up to them to get eligibility back, but when you're going to make bonehead comments and admit the inevitable, yea you're going to pay the consequences. Like it or not, get over it. The SCHOOLS made the rules and the KHSAA just enforces them.

Also this isn't the first time the Euton's have tried to find a way to get to Rupp, and I'll leave it at that, as to keep from breaking a BGP rule.

That guy was also quoted as saying part of the move was for athletic reasons as well. Whether you want to admit it or not, those FACTS make the kid ineligible. As Ram has said many times, the day they left Rose Hill they became ineligible. It is up to them to get eligibility back, but when you're going to make bonehead comments and admit the inevitable, yea you're going to pay the consequences. Like it or not, get over it. The SCHOOLS made the rules and the KHSAA just enforces them.

Also this isn't the first time the Euton's have tried to find a way to get to Rupp, and I'll leave it at that, as to keep from breaking a BGP rule.

This line of reasoning is absurd.

If a rule exists that can prevent a kid from playing ball because his family needed to relocate, that rule needs to be removed.

If anyone can prove that one guy singlehandedly brought about the closing of an entire engineering office, causing dozens of employees to hit the bricks in search of work, just so he could have a seemingly “legal” excuse to go school shopping for his kid, I'll concede my point and assist in his capture and punishment.

Otherwise, this family had a 100% legitimate reason to seek new work and a new residence if necessary. Nothing else about where they end up should have any bearing on the case at all... UNLESS it could be proved that the receiving school recruited them. (Policing member schools should be the number one duty of the athletic association.)

Anyone who can look at the facts and completely overlook the number one, huge, in-your-face reason the family relocated and insist it was an athletic move has a twisted agenda. That’s fine, you can have agendas all you want, but a kid should not be prevented from playing ball just because someone has an axe to grind.

If this decision sticks, we all lose.

If a rule exists that can prevent a kid from playing ball because his family needed to relocate, that rule needs to be removed.

If anyone can prove that one guy singlehandedly brought about the closing of an entire engineering office, causing dozens of employees to hit the bricks in search of work, just so he could have a seemingly “legal” excuse to go school shopping for his kid, I'll concede my point and assist in his capture and punishment.

Otherwise, this family had a 100% legitimate reason to seek new work and a new residence if necessary. Nothing else about where they end up should have any bearing on the case at all... UNLESS it could be proved that the receiving school recruited them. (Policing member schools should be the number one duty of the athletic association.)

Anyone who can look at the facts and completely overlook the number one, huge, in-your-face reason the family relocated and insist it was an athletic move has a twisted agenda. That’s fine, you can have agendas all you want, but a kid should not be prevented from playing ball just because someone has an axe to grind.

So you don't find it odd that both he and Jackson ended up on SC's door step the same week?

It doesn't seem strange that they go to a school that has one of the other biggest recruits in their class, Guyn, who also just happens to be an AAU buddy.

It doesn't seem out of place that as soon as Euton/Jackson transfer, along comes another AAU buddy in Flannery?

Sure the move was legit...but you're missing the point. HE SAID BASKETBALL PLAYED A ROLE IN WHERE HIS SON ENDED UP.

For the thousandth time...that is breaking the rules! Like it or not people need to get over it. It isn't the KHSAA's fault his dad and Jackson both made the comments they did. And in bylaw 6, again, it says as soon as you transfer you become ineligible. The KHSAA didn't take their eligibility away. The players and parents did when they decided to leave Rose Hill. The KHSAA just enforced the rules and followed the guidelines set by the SCHOOLS who made the rules.

This has been said before...in summary a player who transfers is ineligible. Exemptions may be granted provided certain conditions are met and others (ie. transferring for athletics or academics) are not considerations. The bylaw is very specific and clear about this.

Personally, I don't really care one hoot ,other than there are rules and they should be applied fairly and without prejudice.

:thumb: