Ex-referee Tim Donaghy blows whistle on NBA dirty secrets

If I was everyone here...I would watch what you say about this guy. I am not a huge fan of him either, but Pete Rose bet on his sport as well and we don't go running around calling him a loser and what not. I know it is a little different, but you see my point.

If I was everyone here...I would watch what you say about this guy. I am not a huge fan of him either, but Pete Rose bet on his sport as well and we don't go running around calling him a loser and what not. I know it is a little different, but you see my point.

It's more than a little different. He's admitting to being paid off to decide the direct outcome of games. That wasn't enough for him so he too started betting those games.

Pete Rose is a loser.

You aren't going to make to many friends around here with a comment like that, lol.

That's fine. All of his rear kissers that defended him for years while he sat back and said I never gambled should feel the same way as I do. They can now go to Vegas where he sells his autograph 15 days a month to earn enough money to gamble it all away again if they still love him.

Great baseball player? Yes. Great person? No.

I think it's funny, 10 years ago no one would have believed that refs betting on games even took place, today when it's finall said that it did happen, we say shame on you but no one else does it? I mean really guys, we brushed it off once and then it was brought to light and know you all are saying it's impossible that refs were encouraged to force a game 7 between the huge rivaled Kings vs. Lakers? Come on, look at the bigger picture, Stern wants money and when it comes playoff basketball he knows he gets the ratings and in order to keep those ratings he doesn't want to see a sweep in the semi-finals between 2 great teams, he wants to keep it going for all he can, and what about the finals, you really think they are gonna let this be done in 5 games? Come on...It may be a conspiracy, but who yes it's not true, because the truth as already caught you once!

He's tough to believe except that people already believe that this type of stuff goes on. How in the world does Joey Crawford almost get kicked out of the league for having a big time beef w/ Tim Duncan, but call the biggest game in the Spurs series in the conference finals just 1 year later? Then he swallows his whistle in a 2 point game and the NBA later admits that he blew that call. The NBA is almost as shady as this ref.
So I take it you don't think Micheal Jordan retired in 1993. :D

Ya think there might be a slight credibility issue here? :D

:thumb: I agree, I have always kind of thought things like this go on but coming from Donaghy is really a joke. This imo could very well be right but someone else is going to have to confirm it than this clown's word. One convicted cheater calling others crooked..............pot, meet kettle.

I know that Canseco's claims on baseball mostly proved to be true but it took proof other than him to convinvce me. Same with this claim, could be true but I am certainly not taking Donaghy's word as gospel on it.

:thumb: I agree, I have always kind of thought things like this go on but coming from Donaghy is really a joke. This imo could very well be right but someone else is going to have to confirm it than this clown's word. One convicted cheater calling others crooked..............pot, meet kettle.

I know that Canseco's claims on baseball mostly proved to be true but it took proof other than him to convinvce me. Same with this claim, could be true but I am certainly not taking Donaghy's word as gospel on it.

Maybe not be the most credible guy but as I stated before, no one would have believed this was even taking place 10 years ago, but it was. What does he have to lose? If he's lying then he's facing perjury charges and more years in prison. He may not be the most credible but it's funny that the NBA won't let ref's speak to the media with their permission. I believe refs bet on games. Here is a insert from an article on ESPN...

The Lakers attempted 40 free throws to the Kings' 25 in that game, and Los Angeles made 21 of 27 from the line while Sacramento converted 7 of 9 in the fourth quarter alone.

In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant, denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket. Also in that game, Kings centers Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard fouled out, and Kings coach Rick Adelman was highly critical of the officiating afterward.

Here is what on of the refs said Thursday to ESPN..

Bernhardt, reached Thursday by ESPN.com, recalled the aftermath of Game 6 in 2002.

"I only talked to [former supervisor of officials] Ed Rush after the game, and I said I wasn't happy about it. He asked why, and I said I didn't feel we were very good.

Maybe not be the most credible guy but as I stated before, no one would have believed this was even taking place 10 years ago, but it was. What does he have to lose? If he's lying then he's facing perjury charges and more years in prison. He may not be the most credible but it's funny that the NBA won't let ref's speak to the media with their permission. I believe refs bet on games. Here is a insert from an article on ESPN...

The Lakers attempted 40 free throws to the Kings' 25 in that game, and Los Angeles made 21 of 27 from the line while Sacramento converted 7 of 9 in the fourth quarter alone.

In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant, denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket. Also in that game, Kings centers Vlade Divac and Scot Pollard fouled out, and Kings coach Rick Adelman was highly critical of the officiating afterward.

Here is what on of the refs said Thursday to ESPN..

Bernhardt, reached Thursday by ESPN.com, recalled the aftermath of Game 6 in 2002.

"I only talked to [former supervisor of officials] Ed Rush after the game, and I said I wasn't happy about it. He asked why, and I said I didn't feel we were very good.

He has practically nothing to lose by doing this. There is no indication that he said any of his allegations under oath, so perjury charges don't apply. Any information that he gives to investigators can be subject to misdemeanor charges for lying, who's penalty is minuscule to what he is facing. However, these allegations are in a letter to the judge as part of a leniency request. Therefore, they are not subject to anything other than what the judge wants to do with them.

Did I not read that article right? What am I missing here? The guy is a known gambler, for God's sake. He's taking a calculated risk by throwing stuff up on the wall and seeing what sticks to get time off the big sentence. My guess is that he'll throw anybody under the bus at this point, if it serves his purpose.