Bush lied about Iraq! Hold the phones.

If Bush lied about Iraq, why did Hillary vote for the war? She would have had access to intelligence reports generated prior to Bush ever taking office and therefore would have known if Bush was lying. What about all those other members of the Clinton administration who also had access to the same information who didn't disagree with Bush's assessment until after the war started? Why did Tony Blair and Valadimir Putin agree with the US intelligence assessment of Iraq? They had access to their own intelligence agencies. Do you think Blair agreed to support a war whose justification he knew to be a lie? Or do you think that 'dumb ole W' simply out-smarted Tony?

Hillary was so eager to prove she could be commander in chief that not voting for a wildly popular Iraq war was, IMO, not an option for her.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hillary was so eager to prove she could be commander in chief that not voting for a wildly popular Iraq war was, IMO, not an option for her.

So you believe she valued her political future over the lives of US servicemen?

After watching how Max Cleland got hammered in his 2002 Senate race in Georgia for opposing the Patriot Act, a whole lot of Democrats were afraid to vote against the invasion of Iraq and risk being portrayed as non-patriotic and/or weak in the "War on Terror."

After watching how Max Cleland got hammered in his 2002 Senate race in Georgia for opposing the Patriot Act, a whole lot of Democrats were afraid to vote against the invasion of Iraq and risk being portrayed as non-patriotic and/or weak in the "War on Terror."
:thumb:

Did President Bush lie is the wrong question. The question is, did he get it right on Iraq? The answer is no, he got it wrong. His decision betrayed a lack of understanding of the Middle East and constituted a misuse of the military that has made our country less safe. When people charge that "Bush lied", they let him off the hook. The discussion becomes about whether or not he lied. The real discussion, the important discussion, is whether or not he got the decision right. That discussion is important because if you believe that President Bush made the right decision when he took us into Iraq (and John McCain believes it was the right decision), that implies that when the time comes he will make the same mistake. That is a President we can't live with.

If at some point someone comes up with a tape a meeting where Bush and Chaney are sitting around talking about the lies they will need to drive the American people toward a war with Iraq, I'll pay attention. Until then, I don't think he lied and it doesn't matter. With or without lies he got it wrong.

:thumb::thumb:

Everyone knows that I am not and never have been a "W" fan. That being said, I don't really think that "W" is smart enough to lie. I've always thought that there were people, Cheney, Rove, etc, etc, who were telling him what to do and what to say. And since I think that, I have to think that he truly thought and still thinks that what he said and did was right.

I've often wondered why Colin Powell, one of smartest people in the world, IMO, would have sat there and told the world what he told them if he wasn't lead to believe it to be the truth. I think Powell is so smart he wouldn't have just said what they told him to say. I think he must have read something or have seen something to make he believe what he believed.

The one thing That Obama has banked his campaign on is that he didn't vote for the war. This is one of the things that bothers me. When I listened to what was being told to me then I felt we should have gone to war. It wasn't until all the "lies" (if they were in fact lies) came out that I said we shouldn't be there. So if so many people listened and voted to go to war and he didn't, well that make me think that he's , for lack of a better word, chicken.

Politics is a funny business, everyone has something different to say and we all hear the same thing but think so differently about so much. I wish there was a truth booth that everyone had to go into before they said anything.

Pretty good post...And in my opinion, the bolded is the truth, and most telling.