Chuck Hagel is upset with McCain...

Bottom one percent of the graduating class. McCain is not the sharpest tool in the shed but I am sure that he could have done much better had he applied himself at Annapolis. I do believe that McCain is smarter than Hagel=, but Obama's surrogates will make an issue of McCain's class rank.

I don't care where he held class rank, you don't graduate from Annapolis without having something on the ball.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom one percent of the graduating class. McCain is not the sharpest tool in the shed but I am sure that he could have done much better had he applied himself at Annapolis. I do believe that McCain is smarter than Hagel=, but Obama's surrogates will make an issue of McCain's class rank.
Which would put you in the same category as Obama's surrogates ... ain't that some irony?

Which would put you in the same category as Obama's surrogates ...
:rolleyes: Any party who would try to pass John Kerry off as an intellectual political moderate is certainly not going to pass on taking shots at McCain's academic record.

However, having Chuck Hagel upset with him will probably help McCain among conservatives. In fact, if McCain is smart he will figure out a way to have Hagel give a series of speeches criticizing him. If there was any Republican in the US Senate less popular among conservatives than John McCain it would be Hagel (although Lindsey Graham is a strong contender).

:rolleyes: Any party who would try to pass John Kerry off as an intellectual political moderate is certainly not going to pass on taking shots at McCain's academic record.
Interesting, though, that I've only seen the issue raised twice ... both times were by you.

I also don't get the "McCain isn't smart enough" stuff. Dude is a Naval Academy grad. I don't care who you are, you don't get out of Annapolis as a dummy. Smartest prez candidate in many years. Now, he may be old, but he's not dumb.

Who said he was not smart enough?

Chuck Hagel, Republican Senator from Nebraska seems to be upset with decisions John McCain is making.

"Presidential candidates will say many things in a campaign," Hagel added. "I am very upset with John about some of things he is saying... He is smarter than some of the things he is saying."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/20/hagel_suggests_mccain_will_cha.html

I'm not sure that he is...

At this stage in his life he's not!

Who said he was not smart enough?
You.

He is smart to disassociate himself with Hagel. It won't hurt him imo. I've watched Hagel a few times on TV with all his charts and so on, and he is some character, to say the least. Guys like him, Benny Henn, and the guy who's always predicting the end of time (I can't remember his name but he's made about 10 'end of time' predictions since the early '80's. His latest one has it now ending in 2012), give other preachers/ministers/priest, etc, a lot of headaches with PR.

Yep, given his background I can see why he's "pro war". :rolleyes:

Simple statements of fact: 1) A sizable majority of the American public is against the Iraq War and 2) The war has come to define the Bush presidency. Regardless of McCain's other policy departures from Bush, his stubborn insistence on continuing the war ad infinitum (and clearly ignoring the wishes of the American people, a la Bush), renders him an easy target for the "third Bush term" tagline.

Simple statements of fact: 1) A sizable majority of the American public is against the Iraq War and 2) The war has come to define the Bush presidency. Regardless of McCain's other policy departures from Bush, his stubborn insistence on continuing the war ad infinitum (and clearly ignoring the wishes of the American people, a la Bush), renders him an easy target for the "third Bush term" tagline.
Americans generally do not oppose war - they oppose losing wars. It is getting increasingly difficult for Obama and other liberals to convince voters that things we are losing the war or that Democrats would quickly withdraw from Iraq as they have promised.

Congressman admits Democrats "stretched the facts," misled anti-war supporters about supposed plans for ending War

"I'll tell you my impression. We really in this last election, when I say we...the Democrats, I think pushed it as far as we can to the end of the fleet, didn't say it, but we implied it. That if we won the Congressional elections, we could stop the war. Now anybody was a good student of Government would know that wasn't true. But you know, the temptation to want to win back the Congress, we sort of stretched the facts...and people ate it up." - Congressman Paul Kanjorski (D-PA)

He is smart to disassociate himself with Hagel. It won't hurt him imo. I've watched Hagel a few times on TV with all his charts and so on, and he is some character, to say the least. Guys like him, Benny Henn, and the guy who's always predicting the end of time (I can't remember his name but he's made about 10 'end of time' predictions since the early '80's. His latest one has it now ending in 2012), give other preachers/ministers/priest, etc, a lot of headaches with PR.

Hagel is currently a "maverick," something McCain used to be, Hagels support would only help McCain.

Maybe I am missing something....is Hagel is a minister? I thought he was a Senator.

Anyways, he wouldn't mind running as the Democratic VP, so I guess it is good for McCain to disassociate himself, if he wants to get conservatives to vote for him. Then again, having an anti-war person on the ticket could get some votes, but I doubt it.