Chuck Hagel is upset with McCain...

Chuck Hagel, Republican Senator from Nebraska seems to be upset with decisions John McCain is making.

"Presidential candidates will say many things in a campaign," Hagel added. "I am very upset with John about some of things he is saying... He is smarter than some of the things he is saying."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/20/hagel_suggests_mccain_will_cha.html

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck Hagel, Republican Senator from Nebraska seems to be upset with decisions John McCain is making.

"Presidential candidates will say many things in a campaign," Hagel added. "I am very upset with John about some of things he is saying... He is smarter than some of the things he is saying."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/20/hagel_suggests_mccain_will_cha.html

I'm not sure that he is...

I love how McCain was the Democrats favorite Republican. He was a maverick and straight talker for defying the Bush administration at every turn. As soon as he gets the nomination the talking points are that he is Bush's third term.

I think Hagel is just trying to get McCain's old position of Mr Independent, Mr Moderate, Mr Maverick... Will keep him busy the next few years with all the Sunday morning talk show circuit.

Hagel is right, politicians will say a lot of things in the midst of a campaign if they think it may help them with a particular base of support. McCain has to appear more conservative than he really is. You can't really blame him for doing what he feels like he needs to do to keep conservatives from staying home in November. I like Hagel, but he knows John's doing what he needs to do for the time being.

If McCain wasn't so pro-Iraq War, none of that "third Bush term" talk would stick.

I don't think it will stick except for those who are vehemently against the war in Iraq. For them, their passion prevents them from seeing anything but an immediate, full withdrawal from Iraq as a continuation of Bush policy.

Although McCain would not immediately retreat from Iraq, that does not make him a Bush clone. McCain has repeatedly shown that he has sometimes agreed and sometimes disagreed with Bush on Iraq and the war on terror. When things were going badly in Iraq, McCain was very vocal about the need to change leadership and tactics which Bush eventually did by putting Petraus in charge. McCain has also taken different stances on Gitmo and what is acceptable interrogation techniques and what constitutes torture.

I don't think it will stick except for those who are vehemently against the war in Iraq. For them, their passion prevents them from seeing anything but an immediate, full withdrawal from Iraq as a continuation of Bush policy.

Although McCain would not immediately retreat from Iraq, that does not make him a Bush clone. McCain has repeatedly shown that he has sometimes agreed and sometimes disagreed with Bush on Iraq and the war on terror. When things were going badly in Iraq, McCain was very vocal about the need to change leadership and tactics which Bush eventually did by putting Petraus in charge. McCain has also taken different stances on Gitmo and what is acceptable interrogation techniques and what constitutes torture.

Very true post. The "third Bush term" will be used through out the general election campaign and will be very effective if people don't take the time to actually examine the many differences between McCain and Bush. I'll bet my home (better make that my farm so I don't incur the wrath of Henry) that you will find no Karl Rove-like demagogues in McCain's White House if he wins. I think McCain has already made it crystal clear to anyone willing to listen that he does not believe in the "scorched earth" politics and "emasculate the Democrats" politics that was present in the Bush administration. That in and of itself is a huge, huge difference between Bush and McCain and is absolutely necessary if we, as a country, are going to have some ability to move together in order to move this country forward.

Very true post. The "third Bush term" will be used through out the general election campaign and will be very effective if people don't take the time to actually examine the many differences between McCain and Bush. I'll bet my home (better make that my farm so I don't incur the wrath of Henry) that you will find no Karl Rove-like demagogues in McCain's White House if he wins. I think McCain has already made it crystal clear to anyone willing to listen that he does not believe in the "scorched earth" politics and "emasculate the Democrats" politics that was present in the Bush administration. That in and of itself is a huge, huge difference between Bush and McCain and is absolutely necessary if we, as a country, are going to have some ability to move together in order to move this country forward.

Agree. I don't think McCain will necessary clone Bush's first two terms.

I also don't get the "McCain isn't smart enough" stuff. Dude is a Naval Academy grad. I don't care who you are, you don't get out of Annapolis as a dummy. Smartest prez candidate in many years. Now, he may be old, but he's not dumb.

I also don't get the "McCain isn't smart enough" stuff. Dude is a Naval Academy grad. I don't care who you are, you don't get out of Annapolis as a dummy. Smartest prez candidate in many years. Now, he may be old, but he's not dumb.
Bottom one percent of the graduating class. McCain is not the sharpest tool in the shed but I am sure that he could have done much better had he applied himself at Annapolis. I do believe that McCain is smarter than Hagel=, but Obama's surrogates will make an issue of McCain's class rank.