Which is Worse? Let's try this one out...

So?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. So?

• Homosexuality is a greater sin
    • No-Fault Divorce is a greater sin
    • Both are sins, both are weighed the same (All sins the same, these are on the same order, etc.)
    • Neither are inherently sinful (Context matters, nothing is sinful, etc.)

...homosexual intercourse, or no-fault divorce? We already know what the answer will be ("Both!") But you sure can't tell by the facts involved.

Divorce is railed against directly by Jesus, so Lord knows you have scriptural basis. And 50% of all marriages in America end in divorce, which I'm willing to go out on a limb and say is far larger than the rate of non-celibate homosexuality in the general population, so it sounds like a bigger problem to me.

So why then is it that when I worked in state government I didn't receive fill in the blank letters to end divorce in Kentucky? Why don't we have semi-regular threads on the evil of it? Where are Bill O'Reilly's rants against the Divorcee Agenda?

Go ahead and click 'both.' Maybe that really is God's opinion. But if you were being completely honest with yourself, you'd acknowledge that you probably don't really believe that, because your words and actions tell a different story.

I really believe that. Being honest with myself.

I don't write fill-in-the-blank letters to anyone about either. And I hear far more lamentation, on a daily basis, about divorce than I do about homosexuality. So I'm not sure where the allegation derives from. Perhaps you only hear more about homosexuality from the MEDIA, because THEY perceive it as a juicier issue.

Incidentally, scripture (as you and I have discussed before) provides certain divorce situations that are permissible. I see no such scriptural "passes" for homosexual behavior.

I believe both are sinful, but I would not like to judge which is worse.

02, I am as against divorce as I am against homosexuality. But for most people, divorce is OK because they have done it, and homosexuality is not OK because they are not homosexuals.

You mentioned it- it is just cognitive dissonance, changing your beliefs to fit your actions.

That is part of why I am such a strong Catholic- it is not like most churches which welcome you to pick your own beliefs, whatever is convenient for you. I don't blindly follow the Church but I respect what a lot of people a lot smarter and more spiritual than me say to help me gain salvation.

Personally, I find the outrage over homosexuals allegedly destroying the "sanctity" of marriage to be completely ridiculous in light of our country's divorce rate. Clearly, there's little about marriage to be sanctimonious about, when you consider the evidence at hand.

Fascinating also how the Protestant sects who are allegedly the standard-bearers for moral sanctity are also the sects where divorce rates are highest.

I'm not outraged by either although I think they are both scripturally sinful. We like to categorize sin (because it makes us feel better about our own), but IMO God doesn't allow us that indulgence. And I'm being honest with myself.

What exactly is "No Fault" divorce?

There are no longer any statutory "grounds" required for divorce, and one spouse cannot object to the other divorcing him/her, so therefore the "behavior" of a spouse is no longer admissible in a divorce proceeding, except as it may relate to custody of children. In other words, you can divorce anytime you want for any reason.

There are no longer any statutory "grounds" required for divorce, and one spouse cannot object to the other divorcing him/her, so therefore the "behavior" of a spouse is no longer admissible in a divorce proceeding, except as it may relate to custody of children. In other words, you can divorce anytime you want for any reason.

Only in the eyes of man. Just because a court or judge grants a divorce doesn't mean God "The Ultimate Judge" has. There is no such thing as a No Fault Divorce in the eyes of God. If there is problems in the relationship then we can seperate to see if in time we can save the marriage.

If two folk of the same sex want to love one another, my inner being tells me not to be outraged at them for it.

If two people feel that they can best achieve happiness by no longer being together, my inner being tells me that I am not to be outraged by that. In fact, anytime I feel any kind of negative emotion such as anger or outrage, I know that my thoughts are not focused correctly and my energies are out of alignment with those of my my inner self and the Universe.

Why should it? Can you tell me without scripture? Remember that scripture may not be Truth for some people.

But you must also remember that scripture is The Truth to many. Either way, the argument against divorce can be made without getting into moral reasons. Without quoting a bunch of links to sites that anyone can Google up, statistics and personal experience reveals that children are a primary concern when homes are broken. Children will grow up without male (or sometimes female) influence, children can be a source of conflict if the parents remarry, divorce is a major cause of poverty in children and children must in many cases deal with the emotional roller coaster of having one parent pitted against the other. While I firmly believe that abuse is a justification for divorce, I also believe that a great deal of abuse comes from new partners of divorcees.