Apollo 2 Trinity 1

Roc4ever

This game had to go an extra inning to decide the winner. Stephan pitched another great game but T's hits were untimely. Rocks had 7-8 hits compared to Apollo's 2 hits at the end of regulation. Top of the eight proved to be much for the Rocks. Stephan had bases loaded with one out, Apollo hit the ball to third (Carney) makes a bad throw home which allow two runs to score. Stephan shut down the next two batters. Bottom of eight, Hartlage and Schecter get on with a single and double, no outs, but the Rocks was only able to get 1 run, with the top of the order flying out. Apollo showed why they are ranked 2 in state. Great atmosphere the Eastern Eagles has for baseball........

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great high school baseball game, Stephan deserved to win this game, but same old stuff at third base. There has to be someone who can hit and field at third on this team. What's going on!???

Great high school baseball game, Stephan deserved to win this game, but same old stuff at third base. There has to be someone who can hit and field at third on this team. What's going on!???

I'm curious to know the break down of errors on this Trinity infield. I don't think the outfield has any errors. Normally Trinity has very strong, reliable third baseman (Rhea, Holland), the past few years, but this year is something else. Could it be that Trinity is looking at 2009 and 2010? It would be ashame if they were, because Griffin or Hartlage could play a VERY solid third if allowed. And with solid pitching from Stephan, Hohmann, Reuff, Deeds & Carrico, they could go a long way, but the errors have to stop.

I haven't seen a lot of Trinity's games, a few, so I haven't seen the problems at 3B. I know the kid playing there, he has been a solid defender in the infield throughout his career. 3B is the hot spot, and it is the position where you typically have most of your infield errors. It is where the ball is normally hit the hardest, the least reaction time and the longest throw. Have his errors happened to come at inoppourtune times to make them more glaring? Errors that don't cost runs seem to be forgetten and forgiven. Errors that hurt the team are remembered and not so easily forgiven by fans. Could he be a victim of circumstance? Steve Tompkins is considered by many to be the best coach around, I can't imagine he wouldn't put the best team on the field.

Your exactly right Park1221, third is a hot spot, but third is not a place for slow feet Tompkins hasn't allowed his seniors to prove themselves or fail like he as done with this kid. This kid may have been a solid player before H.S., but varsity play is different than REC or AAU ball. Season isn't over, so hopefully Coach Tompkins as a few things up his sleeves.

Your exactly right Park1221, third is a hot spot, but third is not a place for slow feet Tompkins hasn't allowed his seniors to prove themselves or fail like he as done with this kid. This kid may have been a solid player before H.S., but varsity play is different than REC or AAU ball. Season isn't over, so hopefully Coach Tompkins as a few things up his sleeves.

I understand your concern. Playing underclassmen is rarely popular with the team, especially those directly affected. It wasn't popular when Matt Brady broke into the Rock lineup as a freshman a few years ago. He did well, but Coach T caught you know what. In the semi-state he went back with the senior who was clearly an inferior hitter and lost. Chris Berry started slow as a sophmore last year and he had detractors as well. Coaches make calculated gambles. They sometimes trade defense for some offense and vice versa. I don't think for a second Coach Tompkins is sacrificing this season for 2009 or 2010 to just get his sophmores ready for the next two years. He's too competitive of a guy. He wants to win now and I think come playoffs he'll fill out what he thinks is the best lineup card to give his team a chance to win.

I do think that this is a season for the sophs at the corners (First & Third) to learn how to play high school baseball at the expense of the seniors and Trinity High School Baseball Team.

There also seems to be several football players not even going out for the team and the ones who did are sitting on the bench. Maybe the ones who did not go out knew what was instore for the rest of the seniors. How can you play for three years in the baseball program and not even get a chance to loose your position.

:rolleyes:

Something is amiss in Rock Land, thats for sure.

I agree with Three of a Kind's assessment. This senior class was sacrificed, begining last season. For some reason, Coach Tompkins has been gaga over the sophomores since they were freshman. I know that many of the seniors didn't return because of the coaching.

I think the jury is still out on Coach Tompkins' coaching ability.

It would be a shame if the Rock supporters ran coach T away from the program. He is a very good coach and even better individual. Give him a chance, last time I checked the W-L record is very respectable. What are the expectations of the Trinity baseball program?

Do you have a son on the team or are a former, disgruntled player? That's the only way one can attempt to explain your comment.

2008 19-7 thus far.

2007 26-11, Lost in Regional Finals in 10 innings.

2006 30-8, Lost in Regional Semifinals in 9 innings.

2005 24-12, Lost in State Semifinals.

2004 32-7, Lost in State Semifinals.

2003 23-3, Lost in Regional Semifinals.

I invite you to trace the "storied" baseball history at Trinity, and show us where any coach has been more successful in a 5-6 year period.

I agree with Three of a Kind's assessment. This senior class was sacrificed, begining last season. For some reason, Coach Tompkins has been gaga over the sophomores since they were freshman. I know that many of the seniors didn't return because of the coaching.

I wondered if St. X thought the word was still out on Tompkin's coaching ability after they got beat earlier this year? I thought someone told me that Coach Jefferson said highly praising things about Coach Tompkins in a pre-game interview, like "he's the best coach in the city?" Where were these comments when Trinity beat Male in the final of the Bulldog Classic? I guess Coach Miller should be blamed with PRP's errors against Shelby County in last year's State Tournament semi-final.? So I guess if those "seniors" were playing now that Trinity would be undefeated and have made no errors? What round in the MLB draft do these seniors expect to be drafted?

I haven't seen a lot of Trinity's games, a few, so I haven't seen the problems at 3B. I know the kid playing there, he has been a solid defender in the infield throughout his career. 3B is the hot spot, and it is the position where you typically have most of your infield errors. It is where the ball is normally hit the hardest, the least reaction time and the longest throw. Have his errors happened to come at inoppourtune times to make them more glaring? Errors that don't cost runs seem to be forgetten and forgiven. Errors that hurt the team are remembered and not so easily forgiven by fans. Could he be a victim of circumstance? Steve Tompkins is considered by many to be the best coach around, I can't imagine he wouldn't put the best team on the field.

The "error" that hurt the Rocks in the eighth doesn't compare to all of the stranded runners in scoring position in many farmes. This 2-1 loss was a team effort. The catcher could have made the short hop catch with the hinged mitt. The Rocks could have bunted over a runner from second to third and he would have scored on the fly ball the next batter lifted to right. Baseball is a different animal where the better players do not insure a victory. Eastern wasn't happy with their showing and neither were the Commodores of Tates Creek, both 5-2 losers to the Rocks.