Apollo 2 Trinity 1

Roc4ever

Thank you, Jimmy. I'm all for quality coaching as long as every kid in the program gets the same opportunity to play at the varsity level. If you are not willing to recognize the fact that the sons of Trinity baseball coaches seem to enjoy opportunities that other kids in the program don't, your not being objective about the program. That's all I am trying to communicate.

I wonder what connection you have with Coach Tompkins and Trinity baseball? I don't have any.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what connection you have with Coach Tompkins and Trinity baseball? I don't have any.

LOL, you've haven't been around long(or never read posts in the football forum). JR is a die hard X man!

Let's wait and see what Jimmy says. He's already admitted he's a "huge" fan of Coach Tompkins. By the tone and content of Jimmy's posts in this thread it sounds as if there is more to the story than just Jimmy being a fan of his coaching ability. Just an observation.

LOL, you've haven't been around long(or never read posts in the football forum). JR is a die hard X man!

I am a babe ruth coach, just like most of the dads in every program in the city. I met Coach K at the CSAA championship when I asked him if he had any kids playing thinking he was the grandfather of one of the players. I was impressed when I heard he was one of the Trinty coaches. We talked long and hard about a certain celebrated player that was starting but not performing, actually an underclassman. He said that he was going to make a move to a kid that actually got cut his first 3 years but still came out and made the team. He made the move and Trinity went from being a .500 team to the state semi finals. If he made that move to help the team, I am sure and I trust his judgement to make the moves necessary to help his team this year if warranted. I have only been to one Trinity game since I support another team but Coach K is a no nonsense guy regardless of the dad. I understand that one of the potential subs at third base was hurt but now may be back. If he is better, he will play, rest assured.

I happen to be pretty good friends with the head varsity coach at one of the inner city public schools and he would kill to have dads around willing to pitch in and assist the program. Imagine if you will having the football coach calling conditioning practice and half of your baseball team goes to the conditioning practice. I can assure you that there are no former AAA pitchers hanging around willing to help out at that school. Be thankful for what the Rocks have- a 76% winning percentage over the last 6 years and quite possibly "the best baseball coach in the city". ( That is taken from the St X radio network broadcast interview of Coach Jefferson before their game against Trinity).

Coach John L Smith had a famous speech about either being in the boat or out of the boat. I think we all know where you stand.

That was a nice story but it still doesn't address the issue of coach's sons and early opportunities to play. From your comments it seems you are suggesting that the head coach is beyond reproach and that anyone who reasonably and objectively questions the coach's methods or decisions is not a team player. Sort of like how people want to characterize fellow citizens as being "unpatriotic" who are against the Iraq war.

I take it that you believe that whatever motivates a coach's decision about who gets opportunities to play is not to be questioned. If you're comfortable with that so be it. I would guess that many people, like myself, take issue with that position. I don't believe that anyone in a leadership role is beyond reproach.

We can agree to disagree but it seems like several other members have at least observed what I have. Again, I don't pass judgment on Coach Tompkins and I certainly have not attacked his character. Hopefully he'll continue his great success this season and top it off with a championship to get that monkey off his back.

Let's set the record straight.

There are NO FATHERS COACHING THEIR SONS AT TRINITY.

Stoner is the hitting coach and works with EVERY player.

Just because one has attained the status of senior guarantees NOTHING. I know Steve Tompkins, I know how competative he is and I can say with 100% certainty that he is going to put what he believes to be the best team on the field regardless of class.

Let's set the record straight.

There are NO FATHERS COACHING THEIR SONS AT TRINITY.

Stoner is the hitting coach and works with EVERY player.

Just because one has attained the status of senior guarantees NOTHING. I know Steve Tompkins, I know how competative he is and I can say with 100% certainty that he is going to put what he believes to be the best team on the field regardless of class.

You are exactly right about NO FATHERS COACHING. But, why does Coach Tompkins allow two fathers on the practice field? These two fathers coach with Stoner (batting coach) during the off season. This is just an observation that has never been seen on the field in past. I do hope your 100% certainty is correct because this team has some good pitchers. I have seen underclassman in the past make critical errors when it really counts. GO ROCKS.....

The two parents coach and are on the field at practice and have been seen in the dugout coaching players during games, and they can also be seen coaching batters in the on deck circle from the fence line.

Trinity does have a recent history of parents coaching during their kids during their playing days and then they disappear, or they are asked to leave when their kids graduate.

JR, it is amazing how much you seem to know and discuss about the issues concerning the Rocks. That is especially true with football and baseball. We all know you live and die for the Tigers, and rightfully so you have deep ties there. So how do you have so many thoughts about what is going on at Trrinity, just a friendly question that I had to ask. You must be at the Rocks campus more that at X.

I wonder if a former St. M football player was still playing baseball would we have seen what has gone on with this senior class since their sophmore year. I really doubt it.

The two parents coach and are on the field at practice and have been seen in the dugout coaching players during games, and they can also be seen coaching batters in the on deck circle from the fence line.

Trinity does have a recent history of parents coaching during their kids during their playing days and then they disappear, or they are asked to leave when their kids graduate.

JR, it is amazing how much you seem to know and discuss about the issues concerning the Rocks. That is especially true with football and baseball. We all know you live and die for the Tigers, and rightfully so you have deep ties there. So how do you have so many thoughts about what is going on at Trrinity, just a friendly question that I had to ask. You must be at the Rocks campus more that at X.

I wonder if a former St. M football player was still playing baseball would we have seen what has gone on with this senior class since their sophmore year. I really doubt it.

To answer your question if certain players were playing, then the senior class would be better represented. Plug in Weitlauf( bad arm ) at DH and Stein in center, move Deeds to 3b and the lineup changes. If Gardenshire stays then he may get time at catcher. But.... they're not there so the coaches put the best out there.

This is a question for the Trinity that I can't answer. Were the coaching dads that are the topic of this thread on the field at Slugger? I saw the JV coaches in the dugout and I could hear Mr Roney ( alright, they could hear him from the Watterson X-way!! By the way, he is really a great guy, a good singer, and Daniel is a great kid.) but is the practice routines that were mentioned above and coaching during the game an every game event or just so often?

You know the answer-between the Lumber,Hikes Point, and CSAA, there are at least 28 kids that played high school baseball off those teams. We have kids on X, Manual, Fern Creek, Seneca, Ballard, Male, and Eastern besides Trinity so I follow their progress and the kids we played against including Rueff, Epperson, and some kid who we lost to in the Fern Creek Invitational that was the best 9 year old shortstop I ever saw( Chris Berry ).I admit, there isn't as much to talk about in the Fern Creek or Seneca forums! Baseball is a great sport and you build friendships on and off the field. I hope Trinity the best and that Trinity makes it far-maybe losing in the regional final to Poplar Level.

One thought from a current Trinity dad told me that has stuck with me. He won a state championship in football and had a MVP in volleyball for a daughter but he remembers the walk off home run that won the state championship over Owensboro that his son hit as a 10 year. That's what baseball can do to a dad. I am proud to be a coach and a dad.

You are exactly right about NO FATHERS COACHING. But, why does Coach Tompkins allow two fathers on the practice field? These two fathers coach with Stoner (batting coach) during the off season. This is just an observation that has never been seen on the field in past. I do hope your 100% certainty is correct because this team has some good pitchers. I have seen underclassman in the past make critical errors when it really counts. GO ROCKS.....

So just because a kid's a senior he is immune to making crucial errors?

I am going to make an observation that I hope doesn't bite my backside. I said in my earlier post that being a senior in and of itself earns you absolutely nothing and I stand by that. This class of seniors in all sports at Trinity may be on of the most talented groups I have ever seen BUT they have a nucleus, again across all sports, of people who think that they know more then their coaches. There is a huge "ME FIRST" attitude among many of them. You can see it reflected in some of the posts in this thread. The bottom line is that everyone has an opinion and is 100% entitled to that opinion but the only one that really counts is the one of Coach Tompkins. He is going to do what he thinks is best for his team and that includes starting the players he feels are the best at each position. When you look at his record at Trinity it's absolutely ludicrous to say he should have done more. No program in the 7th region has been as successful as Trinity during Steve's tenure and they are in position to make a run again this year. You may agree with his decisions and you may not but part of playing sports is accepting that you are a player, not a coach. It also means accepting (not being happy about) that coaches will make decisions that you don't agree with. Part of being a good team player is realizing that and accepting what happens with a positive attitude for the betterment of the team as a whole.

First, I am not a Trinity supporter. Matter of fact, to say that I don't like Trinity, ST. X, Male, Manual, or Ballard, would be an understatement!:laugh:

Second, I have not witnessed one game of Trinity's this year.

Third, people that get on to coaches about who they play are laughable. You have no idea what a coach is trying to accomplish with a lineup. It maybe a thing called "chemistry". It maybe something called motivation. I know that riding the pine motivated me. Maybe, just maybe, the best players are on the field.

Finally, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinions. But only one person can make the decisions. That is why they hire head coaches. If you are truly a rock supportor, then get on board and support the team and the coaches. If not, then let go and forget about the team and coach. Do something constructive besides criticize!

After reading this thread, I have flashbacks to my son's Babe Ruth baseball days. It's the same stuff, only now you're ripping a coach who gets paid. :lol:

Seriously, Coach Tompkins is well-respected, has a great record in his tenure, and must do what he feels is best for the overall success of the team.

As All-Tell stated, there's no guarantee that because you're a senior, you will start. That is prevelant throughout the athletic programs at Trinity. Now, if one doesn't get that, then I am thinking that either one is not a fan of Trinity and trying to start trouble, or one has not bought into the Trinity philosophy, and is out for only one person.

So just because a kid's a senior he is immune to making crucial errors?

I am going to make an observation that I hope doesn't bite my backside. I said in my earlier post that being a senior in and of itself earns you absolutely nothing and I stand by that. This class of seniors in all sports at Trinity may be on of the most talented groups I have ever seen BUT they have a nucleus, again across all sports, of people who think that they know more then their coaches. There is a huge "ME FIRST" attitude among many of them. You can see it reflected in some of the posts in this thread. The bottom line is that everyone has an opinion and is 100% entitled to that opinion but the only one that really counts is the one of Coach Tompkins. He is going to do what he thinks is best for his team and that includes starting the players he feels are the best at each position. When you look at his record at Trinity it's absolutely ludicrous to say he should have done more. No program in the 7th region has been as successful as Trinity during Steve's tenure and they are in position to make a run again this year. You may agree with his decisions and you may not but part of playing sports is accepting that you are a player, not a coach. It also means accepting (not being happy about) that coaches will make decisions that you don't agree with. Part of being a good team player is realizing that and accepting what happens with a positive attitude for the betterment of the team as a whole.

All Tell....it's the experence factor your not considering in the error category. Don't get me wrong, I support the T faithful and Tompkins decisions, but we all have opinions. Wow, "me first" attitude!! That's a new one. But, lets say they do have an attitude. Is that bad thing or do the kids have confidence in their ability to get the job done? I would think most coaches would want alittle of that in their players.