2008 Harlan

bugatti

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone had mentioned a County/City Bowl. I hope that the county officials do not agree to this. The county should have their own bowl and if the city wants to have a bowl that is fine and dandy too. But, it seems to me that the city rides on the coat tails of the county. For example, a person from the city suggested to a representative that they should fund a new stadium with the new field turf that the county and the city could play on. That will never fly with the county officials. They will sooner or later have their new state of the art stadium with field turf.

I have nothing against city people but it just seems to me that they always want to ride on the coat tails of the county but bad mouth them at the same time. I could go on and on about the city and how they ride on the coat tails of the county but I don't think I would be allowed to.

I don't see why they couldn't work together in a bowl of this type. Harlan has helped the county in several situations, including using Harlan's gym when Cawood's was out of order and using the Harlan track because the county could never get it together in years past to get a track.

It's off the subject, but I hope the first priority for athletic fields involves a track. That sport has been overlooked too long.

Someone had mentioned a County/City Bowl. I hope that the county officials do not agree to this. The county should have their own bowl and if the city wants to have a bowl that is fine and dandy too. But, it seems to me that the city rides on the coat tails of the county. For example, a person from the city suggested to a representative that they should fund a new stadium with the new field turf that the county and the city could play on. That will never fly with the county officials. They will sooner or later have their new state of the art stadium with field turf.

I have nothing against city people but it just seems to me that they always want to ride on the coat tails of the county but bad mouth them at the same time. I could go on and on about the city and how they ride on the coat tails of the county but I don't think I would be allowed to.

I was at the meeting with the representative and I was one of the people that suggested that we might be able to pool our resourses to get a stadium like the one at Pikeville with the field turf that has multiple uses. In no way is this riding the coatails of anyone. The reason behind the suggestion was that with the cost factor involved in building HCHS and how it became double the origional cost projection it seemed to be an alternative to keep from having to play at Cawood's field for the first few years, and it could help both school districts. You also might be able to get Rep. Nelson on board if it would help more than one district, he alone has five school districts in his area and might be more inclined to help two over one. JMHO

I agree with the decision to not play the bears this year. I think after the hype dies down about the new school and it can be a productive game for both, they should go back to playing.
I do not see M'boro ever playing Bell Co. again. The same will go for HC and Harlan City. This could have been a great money game for both teams.

Odessa, I love you. Are you sure we aren't brothers? Where have you been all my life?

I was at the meeting with the representative and I was one of the people that suggested that we might be able to pool our resourses to get a stadium like the one at Pikeville with the field turf that has multiple uses. In no way is this riding the coatails of anyone. The reason behind the suggestion was that with the cost factor involved in building HCHS and how it became double the origional cost projection it seemed to be an alternative to keep from having to play at Cawood's field for the first few years, and it could help both school districts. You also might be able to get Rep. Nelson on board if it would help more than one district, he alone has five school districts in his area and might be more inclined to help two over one. JMHO

Thanks but NO THANKS!

The city -county bowl(not sure on the name) looks like it is going to take shape as of now, coach Larkey seems to be all for it, and coach Donahue has been working out the details. The format will be for Harlan Co / Harlan Ind to play like teams within the same area so to try and get the best possible crowds. Teams such as Corbin-Lynn Camp would be one possible selection. The site will rotate between the two Harlan schools, they are trying to get some companys to agree to help with the sponser end of things and it should be all set for the 09 season.

The city -county bowl(not sure on the name) looks like it is going to take shape as of now, coach Larkey seems to be all for it, and coach Donahue has been working out the details. The format will be for Harlan Co / Harlan Ind to play like teams within the same area so to try and get the best possible crowds. Teams such as Corbin-Lynn Camp would be one possible selection. The site will rotate between the two Harlan schools, they are trying to get some companys to agree to help with the sponser end of things and it should be all set for the 09 season.
Wrong??? A true city/county bowl would have HC vs HHS and then two other teams playing.:D

So does that mean HCHS will play Lynn camp the county team and Harlan Ind. Will play Corbin the city school. ????????

Bayshore, I think most county/city bowls rotate between the four teams playing, which would mean that Harlan Co. and harlan ind. would play. Think of the gate that would bring in for the programs. AND, you saying that Harlan Co. has 1400 kids makes no sense because harlan is already playing two 5A teams.