Holmes 78 Bellevue 32

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stats from the game:

Bellevue (12-12) - Kessen 4 2 14, Bryan 2 0 4, Young 1 0 2, Babb 1 0 2, McIntosh 3 0 7, Stadtmiller 1 0 3. Totals 12 2 32.

Holmes (29-2) - Herndon 2 0 4, Avery 5 0 10, Hall 2 0 4, Riley 1 2 5, Slusher 2 0 4, J. Johnson 2 0 4, Pittman 2 2 6, Henderson 3 1 7, D. Johnson 3 0 6, Nelson 4 2 10, R. Johnson 2 2 6, Clark 5 0 10, Pope 1 0 2. Totals 34 9 78.

Bellevue 2 12 12 8 -32

Holmes 16 26 22 14 -78

Yeah Bryan actually did a very good job of running the point for Bellevue. Realizing Bellevue may not be a top ten team in Northern Ky. a couple of things struck me. Bellevue's zone slowed Holmes down early. They packed in inside the FT line. Holmes showed no ability to hit the three. Now they did play volleyball on the backboard and had several 3 and 4 shot trips. When the score went haywire in the 2nd quarter it was the pressure and creating turnovers.

IF anyone is going to beat Holmes I think it comes down to forcing them in to a 1/2 court game which is what NCC was able to do.

Also give Coach Hensley the "Class Act" Award. With a minute or so to go Holmes was in a 4 corners and Bellevue was trying to sub in. He called a 30 sec. time out to allow Bellevue to sub.

I was reading in the paper this morning that Bellevue has only been to the Regional tournament 2 times in the last 25 years. That's a shame. It got me to somewhat change my thinking on seeding. It's a thrill to play in the Regional tournament and there's really not a very good chance that a small school can even get there, much less win it. Then again why can't we just have 3 divisions.

I was reading in the paper this morning that Bellevue has only been to the Regional tournament 2 times in the last 25 years. That's a shame. It got me to somewhat change my thinking on seeding. It's a thrill to play in the Regional tournament and there's really not a very good chance that a small school can even get there, much less win it. Then again why can't we just have 3 divisions.

And to you I give a gigantic thank you. your thoughts are most appreciated. First, those on here that have lambasted Bellevue need to get a dose of reality. Bellevue did absolutely NOTHING wrong. They played by EXACTLY the same rules that Highlands, NewCath and everyone else in the District and for the first time in 9 years and the second in 22 years got a favorable draw. Seems to me another district did exactly that same thing.

And yes, it was an absolute thrill to play in that game. Were the Tigers outmatched? Absolutely. Just like nearly every other team that has played the Bulldogs has been. The Bellevue kids need make no apologies to anyone, least of all to anyone on here, for doing what they were asked to do in order to participate in this great experience. Getting the chance to measure yourself against one of the very best teams in the state is not an everyday occurance for most small public schools and those kids relished that chance.

Two side notes - CovCath Coach Mike Listerman made it a point to come ouitside our locker room and congratulate us and let us know that we earned our opportunity to be there and deserved to be there. First REAL basketball guy to do that since the District tournament. Mike is first class all the way and always will be in my book.

Second - Coach Henly and the rest of the Holmes staff are nothing but class, class, class and his kids reflect that. They showed us utmost respect and we really enjoyed the opportunity to play them.

I am happy that Bellevue had the chance to play on that stage. Same for Villa, any time a small school can make it to the region it is a great accomplishment. They shouldn't be put down for just being a small school. They should be congratulated, no matter how they got there. Most small schools don't even get a chance to sniff the tournament because of their district pairings. If the stars are aligned and they get a shot then I think it is great. Congratulations to Bellevue.