9th Region Awards

I would 100% disagree with your logic. Holy Cross would not be playing today if you switched either McGraw or Arrez for Cory. That wouldn't make me think less of them as a player.

Exactly.:thumb: If either of those two were on HC rather than Cory they would still be watching from the sidelines. To be perfectly honest, I don't think McGraw nor Arrez would have been able to do what Sorrell did this year. Every game the other team only had to worry about him, and yet still almost every game he was able to go out and put up huge numbers. He may not win POY but he definitely deserves to be in the conversation.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Performance- Jeremy Conner 10 3's in a game. Austin Kessen's 10 3 pters in a game. Sorrell and his 40+ scoring performances.

Coach of the Year- Dave Faust- taking an overachieving bunch to the 9th Region tourney and could get to finals.

Most Underrated- Thomas- Conner He turned it on late in the year and sounds like a gamer.

Most Surprising PlayerTie- Ricardo Johnson or Stephen Kowolonek. Both Sophomores and both could vie for POY in the 9th Region when they are SR's. Rico's ability to elevate and get to the hole is the best I have seen this year. Kowolonek finds the goal and has deceptive leaping ability.

Player of the Year Greg McGraw- although premature he has overcome major obstacles and if you have seen him live you will concur. Ability to drop 3-balls from wherever, take you to the goal and score and can defend with the best of them. Oh, I forgot his passing abilities may be his best quality.

Best Defender I will give it to Arrez simply for his performance in last year's state tourney.

Mr. Hustle- Grant Pangallo- never quits and goes hard the whole game.

Most Improved- Mitch Shover- stepped up when Bondick went down and is a great shooter and ballhandler.

Great Minds Think Alike!:thumb:

That Mr. Hustle award isn't fair... There are a lot of kids in the region who play hard from opening tip to the last horn...

Frankly, Dave Faust could win coach of the year every single year.

I disagree with whoever said Shumate from Beechwood for Coach of the year. Granted he did do a good job, but he had a lot coming back and no offense to the guy but I think sometimes with that team in DIII it was more along the lines of "take those guys to the gym and try to not screw them up." Does that make sense?

That Mr. Hustle award isn't fair... There are a lot of kids in the region who play hard from opening tip to the last horn...

I disagree with whoever said Shumate from Beechwood for Coach of the year. Granted he did do a good job, but he had a lot coming back and no offense to the guy but I think sometimes with that team in DIII it was more along the lines of "take those guys to the gym and try to not screw them up." Does that make sense?

Shumate also coached his team to beat Conner, Holy Cross, South Oldham, and a Raceland team that is making some noise in the 16th. The only bad losses on the year came at the hands of Holmes and Highlands. Although many of their wins came against DIII teams, they cannot help who is automatically on their schedule. They went 14-0 in conference, what more do you want from him? :confused:

Shumate also coached his team to beat Conner, Holy Cross, South Oldham, and a Raceland team that is making some noise in the 16th. The only bad losses on the year came at the hands of Holmes and Highlands. Although many of their wins came against DIII teams, they cannot help who is automatically on their schedule. They went 14-0 in conference, what more do you want from him? :confused:

Calm down, I wasn't insulting the guy, I just don't think that his coaching job was as tough as some of the guys being mentioned that had to rebuild teams and still came out successful. Wins over Conner, Holy Cross, etc. were all good wins...

This is probably true. But then why has he only one it one time? It seems this is a year he definetly deserves it.

In my opinion the only other coach that is deserving of 1st place votes is Henley. But he had at least some of his key role players come back and had one of the best players in the state return.

Best Performance- Corey Sorrell's 37 point night against Covington Catholic. Its is very impressive when everyone in the building knows who the ball is going to and that person can still score at will.

Coach of the Year- Dave Faust or Dave Henley, both have done amazing jobs

Most Underrated- Erik Thomas of Conner

Most Surprising Player- Todd Khroman of Boone Co.

Player of the Year- Arrez Henderson

Best Defender- Arrez Henderson

Mr. Hustle- Stephan Love of Villa

Outside of the two Villa games most if not all of Beechwoods starters played barely half the game. Coach Shumate could have easily humilated most of the D III teams this year and his players stats would have be off the charts if he allowed them to be. It appears to me that he his developing a program there not just looking for wins. Also the only proven players he had coming back were Hall, and Romes was a tranfer with little if any varsity experience. Miller was hurt most the season. So the talent he walked into must have fallen from the sky. By the way the JV ran the table in DIII also. Give the guy his dues, 1st year at Beechwood he lead his team to an accomplishment no other team or coach at Beechwood had done, and when was the last time Beechwood beat Conner, Holy Cross, or quality programs like South Oldham and Raceland all in the same year.

Outside of the two Villa games most if not all of Beechwoods starters played barely half the game. Coach Shumate could have easily humilated most of the D III teams this year and his players stats would have be off the charts if he allowed them to be. It appears to me that he his developing a program there not just looking for wins. Also the only proven players he had coming back were Hall, and Romes was a tranfer with little if any varsity experience. Miller was hurt most the season. So the talent he walked into must have fallen from the sky. By the way the JV ran the table in DIII also. Give the guy his dues, 1st year at Beechwood he lead his team to an accomplishment no other team or coach at Beechwood had done, and when was the last time Beechwood beat Conner, Holy Cross, or quality programs like South Oldham and Raceland all in the same year.

I thought he did a good job as well, well said.

No doubt that he's up there with the bright spots of the year :thumb: That's an impressive turn around! With all the good coaches to choose from I wouldn't want to be doing the judging. I'd say, no worse than honorable mention, if not better.

Any DIII team that starts with a backcourt of Hall and Beuttel is ahead of the game... Beutell had varsity experience also... Kevin Barry was also a guy that had played in a lot of varsity games that meant something. They had all played significant time together. Miller played a lot in prior years too, though he wasn't available as much this season. That is signficant talent and experience to bring back, especially in DIII.

Now don't get me wrong, I said once already, the wins over the bigger schools were very good, but I don't think that this was the best coaching job done this season in region 9. Good, yes; the best? debatable....

Best Performance- Jeremy Conner 10 3's in a game. Austin Kessen's 10 3 pters in a game. Sorrell and his 40+ scoring performances.

Coach of the Year- Dave Faust- taking an overachieving bunch to the 9th Region tourney and could get to finals.

Most Underrated- Thomas- Conner He turned it on late in the year and sounds like a gamer.

Most Surprising PlayerTie- Ricardo Johnson or Stephen Kowolonek. Both Sophomores and both could vie for POY in the 9th Region when they are SR's. Rico's ability to elevate and get to the hole is the best I have seen this year. Kowolonek finds the goal and has deceptive leaping ability.

Player of the Year Greg McGraw- although premature he has overcome major obstacles and if you have seen him live you will concur. Ability to drop 3-balls from wherever, take you to the goal and score and can defend with the best of them. Oh, I forgot his passing abilities may be his best quality.

Best Defender I will give it to Arrez simply for his performance in last year's state tourney.

Mr. Hustle- Grant Pangallo- never quits and goes hard the whole game.

Most Improved- Mitch Shover- stepped up when Bondick went down and is a great shooter and ballhandler.

Agreed! :jump: