Was the bus driver out of line?

ladiesbballcoach

I think the bus drivers daughter was way out of line....as for the two others, not really enough information. Are cell phones allowed on the bus? If not, then the driver should have stayed down and called the school for advice when she would not put it down. I don't think the phone was that big of a distraction because the other students were talking. Is this the case of the bus drivers daughter not liking this student? Hmmmm....too many questions not answered.

As they should have been.

Yep, my point exactly. What ever happened to respect for elders?

Personally, I thought that girl was waaaay out of line. In my day you did as you were told. That girl was rude and disrespectful. Her mother should have kicked her butt for her behavior.

Unfortunately, I think that the bus driver was slightly out of line which (hopefully not) sways sympathy in the girl's favor.

If that was my child, my house would be clean for a year!

Personally, given all I see...........two thumbs up for the driver!

It sounds like the driver tried to call for help before this escalated out of control. The district has to bear some responsibility here. They sent out a supervisor, but he was stuck in traffic. If he wasn't going to be able to reach the bus in a reasonable time, then police should have been notified and requested they make contact with the driver to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

This is going along with another thread. Kida today are not being made or taught to respect anyone whether it is their parents teacher or whoever and to many parents stand up for their kids even when they are wrong. I love my kids but will not tolerate disrespectfullness to me or to others. Peop;e should realize there are consequences to our actions.

If you have some time to kill I recommend watching the entire video on youtube. It's about ten minutes long but you get a lot better idea of the situation. Honestly if I was in the girls position I probabaly would have done the same thing as far as trying to get off the bus. The driver called her out for something and she believed she didn't deserve to be, so IMO exiting the bus was the best decision to prevent it from escalating any further. However, it turned out to do the exact opposite. As it does escalate they both do things they should be punished for. I think woodsrider has the punishment I would go with for the student and driver. The only one who I think deserves to be legally punished is the daughter who clearly assaults the girl from behind.

I watched the entire video on youtube and had the following thoughts:

1) I do think the bus driver got a little "hands on" earlier than necessary. By no means do I think her actions were outrageous or bordered on anything close to an assault, but I did feel she started pushing the girl backwards a bit prematurely. As narrow as a bus aisle is, all she really had to do was stand there and block her path.

2) I am utterly stunned that a 14 year old girl would stand there for 10 minutes and ignore and disrespect the orders of an adult and an authority figure (absolutely a bus driver is an authority figure). The term "spoiled brat" comes to mind.

3) I hope they expel the second girl that came up behind the first student and added to the situation. She had no involvement whatsoever in the matter and only made things worse.

4) I am stunned that the bus driver got no support from any of the other students. I am even more shocked that she called someone (not clear who - either the police or someone with the school district) on the radio for help within the first minute or so and yet no one had arrived by the end of the tape (9 minutes later). Good thing there wasn't a life-threatening emergency. :irked:

5) How very sad that one of the students on the bus was the bus driver's daughter and had to witness this tirade against her mother. I don't blame her in the slightest for jumping the student from behind. It was be a double travesty if they not only fire the bus driver (her mother), but expel her daughter.

6) God forbid that one of my children would behave in this manner (for the record, they never would). I swear they would be begging the police to arrest and jail them so they would have some measure of protection from their enraged father. :fire: