Was the bus driver out of line?

ladiesbballcoach

After receiving permission from theguru, I wanted to post this thread to discuss the video that many of you have probably already seen.

http://www.kpho.com/news/15378361/detail.html

Was the bus driver out of line? She cannot let a student off at a stop with no written parental permission but the student would not sit down nor stop with her actions? How long is the bus driver supposed to go on with this?

Both. Kid should have never gotten up in the first place! Bus driver should not have touched the kid. Does look like bus driver could have hit student but camera angle is not great.

Both are idiots if you ask me!

Why should she not be able to physically restrain the student to keep her from leaving the bus? The child is her responsibility.

Why should she not be able to physically restrain the student to keep her from leaving the bus? The child is her responsibility.

It looks as if she hit the kid before the kid ever did anything to provoke being hit. Yes, she should keep the kid on the bus. They are BOTH wrong!

It looks as if she hit the kid before the kid ever did anything to provoke being hit. Yes, she should keep the kid on the bus. They are BOTH wrong!

The kid being wrong goes without saying. She should not have hit the kid at all. I didn't see her throw a punch, I seen her moving her hands to restrain. If she hit her without being hit, then she is wrong. However, the kid should be charged with assault for sure. The kid physically attempted to overpower her way past a person of authority.

The bus driver should be fired and the child expelled from riding the bus again.

No, the child should be prosecuted for physically threatening an adult. That prosecution goes both ways. The only way that the bus driver should be fired is if she hit the student.

So the bus driver is bound to keep a student on the bus. The student tries to push his/her way past the driver. Being physical is the only option for the bus driver at this point . The driver is clearly in a no-win situation. The video is inconclusive as to the driver being wrong in her actions. I didn't see any punch by the driver.

So the bus driver is bound to keep a student on the bus. The student tries to push his/her way past the driver. Being physical is the only option for the bus driver at this point . The driver is clearly in a no-win situation. The video is inconclusive as to the driver being wrong in her actions. I didn't see any punch by the driver.

:thumb:

The kid being wrong goes without saying. She should not have hit the kid at all. I didn't see her throw a punch, I seen her moving her hands to restrain. If she hit her without being hit, then she is wrong. However, the kid should be charged with assault for sure. The kid physically attempted to overpower her way past a person of authority.

Again the video is not great but it APPEARS that the driver hits the student...not restrain.

Let's get one thing straight about my own personal opinion. In this day and age they are both wrong. In my day...my parents would have kicked my buttocks for acting so disrespectful. Only thing that will come out of this deal is a lawsuit by the kids parents.

I dont see anywhere in the video where the driver CLEARLY hit her.

Personally, I think that the driver should have sat back down refusing to move the bus or open the door until the girl sat down and/or help arrived. I think by pushing the girl back, she gave that girl the opportunity to escalate the situation. She had a radio and the video. She could have radioed for police help if the girl continued to be threatening. That would have covered her behind.

I think any time school personel put their hands on a student they are playing with fire.

Ironically, thirty years ago, that child would likely have been paddled in school AND at home for that kind of behavior.