Huckabee at last night's debate

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huck's at the end of the line. Significantly less than a million bucks left in the bank.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/money/gop.html

I agree but in terms of his finances, his position is not much different than it was following the Iowa primary. Huckabee has made the most of free media exposure and he will be able to continue with less money than would have been required to sustain the campaigns of candidates who have already dropped out.

Wasn't WPA Infrastructure WORK?????

Infrastructure needs to be improved. I'm all for that. We need to build high-speed rail corridors throughout major sections of our nation rather than new roads. But, if you want to kick-start and economy you can't go doing major infrastructure work that takes 5 years to get off the ground before dirt is moved.

There are lots of things we can do. Besides rail we can build wind-power plants, power plants that use the action of ocean waves, update our power grid, and all sorts of things. Huckabee's plan is to add highways which looks good on paper but takes too long and doesn't solve other problems like getting off oil and curbing pollution.

Infrastructure needs to be improved. I'm all for that. We need to build high-speed rail corridors throughout major sections of our nation rather than new roads. But, if you want to kick-start and economy you can't go doing major infrastructure work that takes 5 years to get off the ground before dirt is moved.

There are lots of things we can do. Besides rail we can build wind-power plants, power plants that use the action of ocean waves, update our power grid, and all sorts of things. Huckabee's plan is to add highways which looks good on paper but takes too long and doesn't solve other problems like getting off oil and curbing pollution.

AGREED... But,

Something has to Be done though!!!!!!:argue:

While it won't be a kickstart to the economy, I am sure that his plans would not be expected to take 5 years to get off the ground.

Jack Kemp's star has passed on. What could he bring to the McCain ticket?
I agree. I also don't think that Huckabee brings much to a McCain ticket. Haley Barbour has much better conservative credentials, and that is where McCain's biggest problemd lie. Hopefully, Barbour would not be a part of a McCain campaign.

Governor Crist is the most logical VP choice, IMO. He delivered Florida to McCain and McCain stands little chance of winning in November without Florida.

What about Allan Keys for VP? Is he too far right? Or could he help bring in the Black vote? Especially if Barack is not on the other ticket.

I don't think he would bring it in all that much. Many black people consider him an Uncle Tom, I am not using this as a derogatory term I am just repeating it.

I always liked him actually, was bummed that his bids for president died so fast.

I don't think he would bring it in all that much. Many black people consider him an Uncle Tom, I am not using this as a derogatory term I am just repeating it.

I always liked him actually, was bummed that his bids for president died so fast.

I was going to say that I don't think Alan Keys has the respect of the African-American community to bring the African-American vote.

Actually, when we see a price tag of $15, the price does reflect the cost of embedded taxes. That is the whole point of the Fair Tax. Consumers are already picking up the tab for taxes that the government collects during the process that produces, transports, and markets products to consumers. The only tax that is not reflected in the $15 price tag is any state or local tax that the consumer pays directly. The aim of the Fair Tax is to reduce compliance costs for individuals and businesses.

As for taxes, the infamous Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, which was enacted in mid-1930 is widely considered to have worsened the Great Depression. Increasing tariffs is the worst thing that this country could do to protect jobs. Low tax rates, clearly written regulations with reasonable compliance costs, and a fair tort system would do wonders for this economy.

Tariffs are appropriate, IMO, only to punish countries for violating trade agreements.

I agree with Huckabee on the Fair Tax but I think that it is a gimmick on his part to garner the support of the enthusiastic supporters of the tax. Even if Huckabee managed to get himself elected, I doubt that Congress would seriously consider a bill to enact the Fair Tax.

The Smoot Hawley tariff act was not enacted in the Mid 1930's but in 1930 and was co-sponsered by two Republican Congressmen Senator Reed Smoot of Utah and Representative Willis Hawley of Oregon and signed into law by Republican President Herbert Hoover . Unemployment went from 7.8% in 1930 when the bill was passed to 16.3% in 1931 .