Need advice on new Driver purchase

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I tell anyone looking to buy a new driver and spend a lot of money on it.

What's the worst part of your game and for what reason do you want a new driver ?

Worst part of my game is probably my short game.

Just looking for a new driver, all i have now is the cheap one that came with my golf club set.

On a serious note, I would look on eBay and get a nice used driver for less than $50. Unless you're going to be playing for your PGA Tour playing card anytime soon.

I was thinking ebay but i have a gift card from Dicks Sporting goods that i got for Christmas that is burning a hole in my wallet.

Worst part of my game is probably my short game.

Just looking for a new driver, all i have now is the cheap one that came with my golf club set.

Go to any Golf Galaxy, they have a great cheap selection of used drivers.

Buy some shoes at Dick's.

If you're short game is the worst part of your game, save the time of looking for the best driver, go buy a good used one for a third of the price and use your extra time at practicing. :thumb:

You really arent much of a salesman 98. When the man comes in looking to buy a driver, you sell him the driver!

Now, in that price range, you won't be able to get any of this year's models more than likely. You will have to look into the last year or two to get a new one, or you will have to look at a used one. Last year, the TaylorMade Burner ran at about 300 bucks brand new, and it is a pretty good one that I recommend to high handicappers. Also, the TM r7 draw is one that was selling for 200 late last year that is good for high handicappers who slice the ball.

On EdwinWattsgolf.com Ping G10's are a solid driver going at 300 bucks. Callway BB460's are okay and are 199, as well as the Cleveland HiBoreXL. I havent hit the XL, but have heard some good things about it. If you like the square look, Nike's Sumo2, is on there for 199, and the regular Sumo is also at 199. Nickent is really coming along with their technology and all of their drivers should be under 300.

A friend of mine has been a big fan of RockBottomGolf.com, so you might take a look there. In my opinion, if its not Titleist, Ping, TaylorMade, Cobra, Callaway, or Nike on drivers, its questionable on whether you will be getting the best. Hope I've helped. Of all the ones I listed, the top dog is probably the Burner.

I was thinking ebay but i have a gift card from Dicks Sporting goods that i got for Christmas that is burning a hole in my wallet.

Well, if you have free money to spend, I would probably go to Dick's. I bought my entire set of clubs off eBay and I love them. Just a thought.:thumb:

. In my opinion, if its not Titleist, Ping, TaylorMade, Cobra, Callaway, or Nike on drivers, its questionable on whether you will be getting the best.
You left out the best and my current driver. Cleveland Launcher, I tested them all and I absolutely love mine!

You really arent much of a salesman 98. When the man comes in looking to buy a driver, you sell him the driver!

I just cringe when I see people buying 3-400 dollar drivers. My boss buys a new driver every 6 months. He's also getting worse. I know many people like this.

Now, in that price range, you won't be able to get any of this year's models more than likely. You will have to look into the last year or two to get a new one, or you will have to look at a used one. Last year, the TaylorMade Burner ran at about 300 bucks brand new, and it is a pretty good one that I recommend to high handicappers. Also, the TM r7 draw is one that was selling for 200 late last year that is good for high handicappers who slice the ball.

On EdwinWattsgolf.com Ping G10's are a solid driver going at 300 bucks. Callway BB460's are okay and are 199, as well as the Cleveland HiBoreXL. I havent hit the XL, but have heard some good things about it. If you like the square look, Nike's Sumo2, is on there for 199, and the regular Sumo is also at 199. Nickent is really coming along with their technology and all of their drivers should be under 300.

A friend of mine has been a big fan of RockBottomGolf.com, so you might take a look there. In my opinion, if its not Titleist, Ping, TaylorMade, Cobra, Callaway, or Nike on drivers, its questionable on whether you will be getting the best. Hope I've helped. Of all the ones I listed, the top dog is probably the Burner.

Think im going to look into the r7.

Thanks for the info!

by the way 98, il be hitting the driving range a lot the next few months. The last two seasons i've gradually shaved my handicap, even with out a high end driver.

I just cringe when I see people buying 3-400 dollar drivers. My boss buys a new driver every 6 months. He's also getting worse. I know many people like this.

I feel ya. Now that I'm out of the golf business, I'm just glad I have the connections to still get some clubs pretty cheap.

You have to be pretty good to change equipment a lot and it actually work. For most people its pretty necessary to keep clubs a while and get used to them to actually be able to get better.