Wives submitting to their husbands

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then they are taking what they WANT it to say as the interpretation rather than what it really says.

As I mentioned this Scripture says more about how man should act than women. So, who is the Scripture and their behavior really aimed at here?

And another two cents, while some on here say we are not to judge other husbands, I think it is important as Christian husbands to call out other CHRISTIAN husbands when their behavior to their wives is not as this Scripture indicates it should be. We have to mentor and model the proper Christian behavior that is called for Christian husbands through this Scripture.

Why do you think Southern Baptise don't believe women can be church leaders, i.e. deacons, ministers of music, pastors?

Why do Southern Baptist Seminaries have classes for women in HOMEMAKING

As a general rule, Southern Baptists prohibit women from holding office as a deacon or pastor because of what is written in Timothy and Titus for the qualifications for those positions, it doesn't have anything to do with the "wives submit" passage. There are some Southern Baptist churches that I am aware of that have strayed from that, but most of them hold to it.

"Homemaking" would be an excellent class for many women and men, whose inability to conduct an orderly household in many cases provides me with employment.

I think LBBC has given a succint summary. The key to these passages (Ephesians and Colossians) is the concept of marital oneness and teamwork. Where these passages typically engender derision is where 1) the husband is incapable of being a Christian head of household and 2) the negative connotation that has attached to the word "submit." Submission has nothing to do with power and everything to do with a willing conciliation by the wife.

That would be all fine and dandy if most people would read it the way you or I do. Most of them just use the "submit" thing as a justification for slapping around their women or abusing them in other fashions. Like what I suspect the guy upstairs does to his lady. :irked:

That would be all fine and dandy if most people would read it the way you or I do. Most of them just use the "submit" thing as a justification for slapping around their women or abusing them in other fashions. Like what I suspect the guy upstairs does to his lady. :irked:

Not one of my clients, is he?:eek:

Many scriptural passages which are true are ignored for the sake of human arrogance and expedience, but it does not make them less true. I always like all of my fellow church-goers who won't let me have church-sponsored bible studies at my home because they know I have a small liquor cabinet. Of course, they forget that the Wedding at Canae Jesus changed the water into wine, and the best wine at that. They try and tell me its grape juice and that I shouldn't drink.

Oh well, more Courvasier for me and my buddy Jesus.

Not one of my clients, is he?:eek:

Many scriptural passages which are true are ignored for the sake of human arrogance and expedience, but it does not make them less true. I always like all of my fellow church-goers who won't let me have church-sponsored bible studies at my home because they know I have a small liquor cabinet. Of course, they forget that the Wedding at Canae Jesus changed the water into wine, and the best wine at that. They try and tell me its grape juice and that I shouldn't drink.

Oh well, more Courvasier for me and my buddy Jesus.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Why do you think Southern Baptise don't believe women can be church leaders, i.e. deacons, ministers of music, pastors?

Why do Southern Baptist Seminaries have classes for women in HOMEMAKING

First of all, Southern Baptist churches do what they want to do. Each is autonomous and able to decide their own church polity and practice. The Southern Baptist Convention (annual meeting of messengers from churches who "give" to the SBC missions ministries) can only tell agencies and sanctioned schools (six seminaries in the US) what is policy about women holding leadership positions.

Their "official" confession (proclamation) in the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message is just a confession of "the majority of us meeting in 2000 believe this." One of these things is that wives are to submit to their husbands authority (selected verses in Ephesians 5) and that women can't hold authority over men in the church (Corinthians text and Timothy Epistle).

Some SBC churches ignore the statement of the main body and see other texts that point to or reveal that God may call women to special "authoritative roles."

Hope that sheds some light on the SBC question.

There is a Southern Baptist Church down the road from me that has a female head Preacher and female Deacons. She has been there about 7 years. They had a split when she was brought on. Hatz was correct about even though we are members of the SBC each church has their own goverening body and can be independent of other churches.

Sidebar....The Bible has shown us many times how women have had roles in that were very useful in spreading the Word. I'll be glad to share those if someone wants me to. I'm trying to be a little nicer than I have been in the past with me running to the scriptures.

It maybe another thread topic, but I think its clear that Phoebe in Romans was a deaconess. She is referred to in the Greek test by the word diakonos, the same word used to describe the deacons appointed in Acts. And in Acts 9, Tabitha (Dorecas) is referred to in all translations I have seen as a "disciple." Priscilla in Romans is referred to as a servant via the Greek word "synergoi," which is used for other servant/workers whom are female, but Phoebe was elevated to diakonos. I don't no how you get past that one when you compare with the language of Timothy and Titus.

It maybe another thread topic, but I think its clear that Phoebe in Romans was a deaconess. She is referred to in the Greek test by the word diakonos, the same word used to describe the deacons appointed in Acts. And in Acts 9, Tabitha (Dorecas) is referred to in all translations I have seen as a "disciple." Priscilla in Romans is referred to as a servant via the Greek word "synergoi," which is used for other servant/workers whom are female, but Phoebe was elevated to diakonos. I don't no how you get past that one when you compare with the language of Timothy and Titus.

You can add to that list Acts 21:9 that refers to the 4 Virgin daughters of Philip the evangelist as being "prophetesses."

Also the prophecy of Joel quoted by Peter in the sermon at Pentecost in Acts 2:17-18.

It makes for interesting discussion.

First of all, Southern Baptist churches do what they want to do. Each is autonomous and able to decide their own church polity and practice. The Southern Baptist Convention (annual meeting of messengers from churches who "give" to the SBC missions ministries) can only tell agencies and sanctioned schools (six seminaries in the US) what is policy about women holding leadership positions.

Their "official" confession (proclamation) in the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message is just a confession of "the majority of us meeting in 2000 believe this." One of these things is that wives are to submit to their husbands authority (selected verses in Ephesians 5) and that women can't hold authority over men in the church (Corinthians text and Timothy Epistle).

Some SBC churches ignore the statement of the main body and see other texts that point to or reveal that God may call women to special "authoritative roles."

Hope that sheds some light on the SBC question.

Not true, Not true, one church in Frankfort was "disassociated" from the Franklin Baptist Association (SBC organization) because "that church had placed itself outside the parameters of the baptist faith". I am in the middle of the an organization of the SBC telling a local church what it can and cannot do, so you are dead wrong on the autonomy of the local church. It is quickly dissipating. Missionaries now have to sign a document stating that they adhere to BFM of 2000 as amended on 2004

The churches do not ignore the scripture, they read it in its historical context, just like the non-eating of pork is taken in its historical context.

Not true, Not true, one church in Frankfort was "disassociated" from the Franklin Baptist Association (SBC organization) because "that church had placed itself outside the parameters of the baptist faith". I am in the middle of the an organization of the SBC telling a local church what it can and cannot do, so you are dead wrong on the autonomy of the local church. It is quickly dissipating. Missionaries now have to sign a document stating that they adhere to BFM of 2000 as amended on 2004

The churches do not ignore the scripture, they read it in its historical context, just like the non-eating of pork is taken in its historical context.

One of the main reasons I disassociated myself with the SBC right there.

What Hearsay/Hatz said was what I was gonna say, but I would add when Jesus was in the tomb who came to the tomb? Women did...where are the disciples? Hiding in the upper room. Later when Jesus came out who was there? Mary Magdalene. Jesus told her..."Go and tell others I have risen".