Single defense or switching defenses

ladiesbballcoach

To a certain point I agree with you. But in a zone if the ball is a pass away you may not be denying the ball. Its tough to explains with out my dry erase board.

And in a M2M, you don't have to be denying the ball either.

Bob Huggins at his coaching clinic makes a great point. Why would you deny the pass to the wing from the point?

Why would you deny a pass to the wing that essential cuts the floor in half what you have to defend? Now ball goes to the wing and you deny the pass back to point for ball reversal as well as passes inside but that is it.

Ball goes to the corner and you now deny the pass to the wing as the offense has made the box that you have to defend even smaller.

In addition, ball is in your area and you are M2M on the ball. Stop penetration. And if penetration does occur, the defense has to slide over pinch it and stop penetration with a set rotation that has to occur.

Inside, post players are usually matchedup in a M2M setting with the post players cutting from block to block.

And don't forget that whatever zone defense you start in, they ALL are 2-2-1's when the ball gets into the corner.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we do.

Michael Porter has started for probably about half of the season. Yet sometimes he doesn't get in. Although I'm not a big Porter fan, I have no problem with him getting around 8-10 minutes a game.

I think if Kentucky would go to an up-tempo style of play and play fullcourt defense they'd be much better. Our big guys, although not that great, are athletic. Perry Stevenson & AJ Stewart can run the floor very well and would be a huge asset in an up-tempo game.

I believe Porter has been sick and injured in the last couple of weeks.

Bob Huggins at his coaching clinic makes a great point. Why would you deny the pass to the wing from the point?

Why would you deny a pass to the wing that essential cuts the floor in half what you have to defend? Now ball goes to the wing and you deny the pass back to point for ball reversal as well as passes inside but that is it.

Ball goes to the corner and you now deny the pass to the wing as the offense has made the box that you have to defend even smaller.

In addition, ball is in your area and you are M2M on the ball. Stop penetration. And if penetration does occur, the defense has to slide over pinch it and stop penetration with a set rotation that has to occur.

Inside, post players are usually matchedup in a M2M setting with the post players cutting from block to block.

And don't forget that whatever zone defense you start in, they ALL are 2-2-1's when the ball gets into the corner.

Some good points, but I dont know that I necessarily would take that philosophy myself. Huggs seems to be more of a contain coach than a pressure coach, especially if those are his philosophies.

Now there are a lot of people who do not care for Tubby on here, but the man knew a little bit about defense. Tubby liked to deny what was called a "penetrating pass." Basically a penetrating pass was a pass that is made that could lead to a shot. Much of the time, the wing was denied in the situation, particularly within about 25 feet of the basket. The pass to the point was not always denied. When some penetrating passes are made, a corner pass, a post pass, etc. the team will often trap. I would do better to show rather than try to explain most of this.

I think the main objective in pressure man to man defense is to prevent the offense from being run how the coach has intended it. That is why you dont necessarily allow the pass to the wing. That is where I dont really agree LBBC. If you allow all perimeter passes to be made, the offense runs their offense and can often accomplish what they are trying to do. By denying it, some other pass must be made that may lead to a turnover or keep the team away from the basket. I believe the only pass that you DO NOT deny is the one about 30 feet from the basket (unless a certain player is killing you off the dribble and he doesnt need to touch the ball at all) and the pass to the corner with the intention of trapping.

Maybe I was not paying to close of attention at the time, but I didn't see in other defense besides just man to man like always.

I could very well be wrong and you could be right but I thought that for a short while I saw the Triangle + 2. There was a zone/triangle surrounding the big guy underneath and they were shifting depending on where the ball was as in a zone with "chasers" on their guard/guards (went with them on their cuts and when they were on the outside as well that were also pretty good (can't remember the names right now). That is what is looked like to me anyway and he (BCG) would go back to the base man defense.

I think the main objective in pressure man to man defense is to prevent the offense from being run how the coach has intended it. That is why you dont necessarily allow the pass to the wing. That is where I dont really agree LBBC. If you allow all perimeter passes to be made, the offense runs their offense and can often accomplish what they are trying to do. By denying it, some other pass must be made that may lead to a turnover or keep the team away from the basket. I believe the only pass that you DO NOT deny is the one about 30 feet from the basket (unless a certain player is killing you off the dribble and he doesnt need to touch the ball at all) and the pass to the corner with the intention of trapping.

The only perimeter passes that Huggins talked about allowing was to allow the ones that made the box that you had to defend smaller.

For example, any pass or dribble to the middles IS ALWAYS denied and it is a cardinal sin to let the ball get to the middle of the floor which brings both sides of the floor into play.

Rather you let the FIRST pass to the wing to cut the floor in half and then deny pass to post, low and high as well as back to the point. If the pass goes to the corner, you then deny the pass to the wing, low and high and allow the only pass to be a skip pass that you hope your help defense can pick off and go.

So, in essence, you are not letting them run their offense, cause you are only allowing two passes, one to wing and then to corner. You take away all other passes except for the skip pass that you hope your help defender is quick enough to pick off.

Getting the ball to the corner is where you want them to take it. You do pressure them at this point but it is not with a trap. It is with taking the dribble drive away, taking the pass to the wing away, taking the pass to high and low post away. There only two options is to dribble out to midcourt and reset the offense or throw a skip pass.

The only perimeter passes that Huggins talked about allowing was to allow the ones that made the box that you had to defend smaller.

For example, any pass or dribble to the middles IS ALWAYS denied and it is a cardinal sin to let the ball get to the middle of the floor which brings both sides of the floor into play.

Rather you let the FIRST pass to the wing to cut the floor in half and then deny pass to post, low and high as well as back to the point. If the pass goes to the corner, you then deny the pass to the wing, low and high and allow the only pass to be a skip pass that you hope your help defense can pick off and go.

So, in essence, you are not letting them run their offense, cause you are only allowing two passes, one to wing and then to corner. You take away all other passes except for the skip pass that you hope your help defender is quick enough to pick off.

Getting the ball to the corner is where you want them to take it. You do pressure them at this point but it is not with a trap. It is with taking the dribble drive away, taking the pass to the wing away, taking the pass to high and low post away. There only two options is to dribble out to midcourt and reset the offense or throw a skip pass.

I can see what you are saying, but your wing players are some of your best scorers and playmakers. They can create more for themeselves off the dribble, so it seems you might want to keep the ball out of their hands. I think that is part of where I have learned you would like to deny them the ball.

You definitely always shade the ball handler to go away from the middle of the floor. You might come off the floor on my high school team if you let a ball handler get to the middle.

I can see what you are saying, but your wing players are some of your best scorers and playmakers. They can create more for themeselves off the dribble, so it seems you might want to keep the ball out of their hands. I think that is part of where I have learned you would like to deny them the ball.

You definitely always shade the ball handler to go away from the middle of the floor. You might come off the floor on my high school team if you let a ball handler get to the middle.

I agree about the wing players being some of your best scorers. But if they are scoring off the first pass, then you have some major defensive trouble.

Your comment on the wing is also why I say zone is nothing but M2M defense but guarding the person in your area. You best be able to 1 on 1 stop the penetrator from the wing. Foot forward that takes away middle and shows baseline. Use the baseline to stop them and if you want to real create, post leaves to come and trap on the baseline with rotation down to deny ball to post out of the trap.

A MAJOR mistake young coaches make is not practicing and teaching proper rotation if the ball gets to middle or baseline. Who rotates to stop the ball? Who rotates to get the opposite block? Where does the person beat on penetration go after getting beat? Who covers 1st pass from penetrator?

You MUST teach the full aspect of the defense. Even when you are beat.

:thumb:

You forgot to describe the two pieces of paper that cover the overhead and how he leaves only the corner of the basketball court and says, "we should be able to guard that." (with a few F-bombs mixed in) :D

:thumb:

You forgot to describe the two pieces of paper that cover the overhead and how he leaves only the corner of the basketball court and says, "we should be able to guard that." (with a few F-bombs mixed in) :D

The day we observed his practice and Coach Pirtle's practice and then later went to his coaching clinic, I don't remember him using it. She used it about 7-10 times. His demeanor and language during prcatice was not out of line at all in any regards. She would say it and then say, whoops I forgot we have guests.

I agree about the wing players being some of your best scorers. But if they are scoring off the first pass, then you have some major defensive trouble.

Your comment on the wing is also why I say zone is nothing but M2M defense but guarding the person in your area. You best be able to 1 on 1 stop the penetrator from the wing. Foot forward that takes away middle and shows baseline. Use the baseline to stop them and if you want to real create, post leaves to come and trap on the baseline with rotation down to deny ball to post out of the trap.

A MAJOR mistake young coaches make is not practicing and teaching proper rotation if the ball gets to middle or baseline. Who rotates to stop the ball? Who rotates to get the opposite block? Where does the person beat on penetration go after getting beat? Who covers 1st pass from penetrator?

You MUST teach the full aspect of the defense. Even when you are beat.

I am not saying in M2M you are denying every pass.

Any how I agree with most of what you are saying. As a person who loves a good zone defense, I am saying you are not fundamentaly sound playing zone if you are not good at playing man to man.

I hate playing zone defense, but there are times in every game when it is best to do so. At the college level you can recruit to suit your style, at the highschool level or in a situation the BCG is in you have adapt your style to your players.I also agree that if you do not have solid M2M principles, then you are not going to be good at ANY defense.