Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Single defense or switching defenses

Featured Replies

An article somewhere indicated that Billy G said he was sticking with ONLY a m2m defense.

 

Is that good strategy to not be able to switch up defenses and give the opponents different looks?

  • Replies 45
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have to be able/willing to switch in certain situations.

Sure, you might have something that is your base. But matchup problems throughout the course of a game demand that you make adjustments to defensive sets that cover your weaknesses, and exploit your opponent's weaknesses as well.

Sure, you might have something that is your base. But matchup problems throughout the course of a game demand that you make adjustments to defensive sets that cover your weaknesses, and exploit your opponent's weaknesses as well.

 

:thumb:

Bobby Knight doesn't see a problem with only playing one defense.

Let me get this straight. Our team is undermatched when it comes to personnel, yet we are going to play a team straight up defensively?

 

I just wish Kentucky could get healthy for an extended period of time.

Bobby Knight doesn't see a problem with only playing one defense.

 

Yeah but what does Bobby Knight know about basketball?

The halfcourt trap has worked out pretty well for UK. It was effective tonight and was effective against Vandy on Saturday. I wish we would extend the D to some type of full court pressure, though.

I believe in always having two or three defenses to go to. If I was a coach I would run man to man and a matchup zone. I'm not a huge fan of the 2-3 because it can easily be exploited IMO. This UK team would do well to have go with another D from time to time, but I cant fault him for only having one D and it being man to man.

 

That being said, the 2-3 has worked out pretty well for Jim Boeheim.

BCG played little of a triangle and 2 tonight at times tonight. I agree with the predominatly MtoM defensive. I also believe that a coach has to go with what matches up best with a certain opponet. I favor a tough man to man, I also like a matchup zone, 1-3-1 zone and trap press at times as well.

Depends on the personel and the opponets personel but a very good man to man imo is best.

I'm no coach and never was, but it would seem to me that showing a different defense every once in a while in addition to your base might make it a little tougher to game plan against you...

I am a believer that you have to know how to and understand to play great man to man before you go off playing other defenses.

 

If you don't know how to rotate in a man defense properly then you don't do it well playing a 2-3

  • Author
I am a believer that you have to know how to and understand to play great man to man before you go off playing other defenses.

 

If you don't know how to rotate in a man defense properly then you don't do it well playing a 2-3

 

EVERY DEFENSE is a man to man defense. Even in a 2-3 zone, you matchup and play M2M against the person in your zone area knowing that you might have to rotate to help defense depending on where the ball is.

Until UK gets healthy they would be better off to go small and play some uptempo type defense to create shots for their guards. They are only getting scoring from the same 3 every game and virtually nothing from anybody else, find someone that can get you 8 or 9 pts. a game. And win some of these close ones. I dont look for this to happen Billy G doesnt sound like he is going to stray from long term plan to get a few wins now.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.