Single defense or switching defenses

ladiesbballcoach

Until UK gets healthy they would be better off to go small and play some uptempo type defense to create shots for their guards. They are only getting scoring from the same 3 every game and virtually nothing from anybody else, find someone that can get you 8 or 9 pts. a game. And win some of these close ones. I dont look for this to happen Billy G doesnt sound like he is going to stray from long term plan to get a few wins now.

Yeah but they don't have enough bodies to play like that a whole game.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BCG played little of a triangle and 2 tonight at times tonight. I agree with the predominatly MtoM defensive. I also believe that a coach has to go with what matches up best with a certain opponet. I favor a tough man to man, I also like a matchup zone, 1-3-1 zone and trap press at times as well.

Depends on the personel and the opponets personel but a very good man to man imo is best.

Maybe I was not paying to close of attention at the time, but I didn't see in other defense besides just man to man like always.

It doesn't matter what defense you play if your constantly out of position. People can blame the set all they want but they are out of position when they play man and when they play zone. I personally believe work on one until you do it good and then start adjusting off of it. UK's biggest problem is they don't have one thing they can fall back on when they need to get something going.

Yeah but they don't have enough bodies to play like that a whole game.

But we do.

Michael Porter has started for probably about half of the season. Yet sometimes he doesn't get in. Although I'm not a big Porter fan, I have no problem with him getting around 8-10 minutes a game.

I think if Kentucky would go to an up-tempo style of play and play fullcourt defense they'd be much better. Our big guys, although not that great, are athletic. Perry Stevenson & AJ Stewart can run the floor very well and would be a huge asset in an up-tempo game.

EVERY DEFENSE is a man to man defense. Even in a 2-3 zone, you matchup and play M2M against the person in your zone area knowing that you might have to rotate to help defense depending on where the ball is.

To a certain point I agree with you. But in a zone if the ball is a pass away you may not be denying the ball. Its tough to explains with out my dry erase board.

If you're going to play a single defense, then it should be M2M. I don't see any disadvantage to playing all M2M if you are good at it because there isn't anything that you can't cover in a M2M.

Although Syracuse and Temple were successful (but maybe limited in their success) for many years playing 2-3 zone, I think it hinders what you can do defensively. They give up a large number of threes by playing zone and not jumping to contest outside shots--figuring they'll give up the lowest percentage shot on the floor. However, if a team is hot from outside, you have nothing to switch to.

Really? You didnt see them jumping the ball handler at mid court a view times? You didnt hear Dykes talking about playing a triangle and two?

I forgot that I did see them trap a few times. However no I could not hear him say that, because the place I was at watching the game was to loud to hear the announcers talking. However from watching it, it didn't look like they were in a triangle two, and anouncers sometimes dont know what they are talking about. However as I said in my original post, maybe I just missed it.

I forgot that I did see them trap a few times. However no I could not hear him say that, because the place I was at watching the game was to loud to hear the announcers talking. However from watching it, it didn't look like they were in a triangle two, and anouncers sometimes dont know what they are talking about. However as I said in my original post, maybe I just missed it.

:thumb: