Who would have been invited to the plus 1 playoff format?

ladiesbballcoach

The best thing to do would be a 8 team playoff. Have the first round of the playoffs the week right after the regular season ends. Then you have the 4 teams who are left and put them in two different BCS Bowls on New years day. Then have the winners of the two bowls play a week later for the Title...

I know you still will a few teams who will complain about being left out of the 8 team playoff. But with 8 teams, you really will have a good chance at crowing a true national champion...

Understand that and good thread topic, but I was just looking to discuss the plus 1 setup that is the hot topic right now. I just don't see how it does anything to solve the issue and you have the same issues in getting the one game now, that you would have with it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, you have USC who lost to Stanford at home and Georgia that didn't win their conference because of the #1 team in the nation was on their divisional side.

You have the Big 12, Big East and ACC champions.

This year, it is very hard to say who was deserving. While LSU won it all, there could be a good argument, they didn't deserve to be there with 2 losses.

Wrong same conference. Georgia is on the East side, LSU is on the West.

Everybody else had 2+ losses.

This is why I don't like a +1 format. In NCAA football, picking 4 teams still gives a decent chance to leave out the best team.

At least 8 teams are needed, and I think 12 would be perfect.

THe Top 4 teams would all have to have byes. 8 is perfect, 16 would be amazing though.

The Plus 1 format that is being discussed by the conference commissioners would match the #1 vs #4 and the #2 vs #3 teams in the final BCS standings. That means if the format that is being discussed had been in place this season we would have had the following matchups:

#1 tOSU vs #4 Chokelahoma

#2 LSV vs #3 Virginia Tech

with the winners meeting for the NC a week later

Would this have been any better than what we just witnessed? I don't think so! USC, GA, & WV all still get left out. :irked:

I still like 6 teams, the champions from each BCS conference, with the top 2 based on the computer rankings getting a 1st round bye...To me, if Notre Dame wants to play for a National Championship, then they need to play in the Big East in both sports, otherwise, they shouldnt qualify, just because of who they are. They certainly wouldn't for any other independent. Yes, this would leave out Georgia, Missouri, Kansas and the like, but, if you dont win your conference, you don't play for a Ntl Championship, simple as that and then there wouldnt be any disgruntled teams left out. They had there chance in conf play and didn't get it done. I'd also like to see a non BCS playoff, too, with the champions from the smaller conferences like C-USA, MAC, WAC, MWC, etc...I think it could work

Really, you have USC who lost to Stanford at home and Georgia that didn't win their conference because of the #1 team in the nation was on their divisional side.

You have the Big 12, Big East and ACC champions.

This year, it is very hard to say who was deserving. While LSU won it all, there could be a good argument, they didn't deserve to be there with 2 losses.

I would take the SEC champion if they had 4 loses, and put them up against anybody, any time.

Why couldn't they let the bowl games play themselves out, let the dust settle, and then decide who would play the plus-1 championship game. Obviously this year that choice would be LSU and USC. Why would they nescessarily have to base it on the top 4 teams in in the final BCS?

Why couldn't they let the bowl games play themselves out, let the dust settle, and then decide who would play the plus-1 championship game. Obviously this year that choice would be LSU and USC. Why would they nescessarily have to base it on the top 4 teams in in the final BCS?

Didn't Georgia finish #2 in the voting?????

Didn't Georgia finish #2 in the voting?????

Not in my voting. I would put them 3rd.

But yes, they did. So, then let it be LSU and Georgia for the title.

My question is simply, why can't it be done after the bowls are over? Take the top 2 teams in the final results and go with it.

Not in my voting. I would put them 3rd.

But yes, they did. So, then let it be LSU and Georgia for the title.

My question is simply, why can't it be done after the bowls are over? Take the top 2 teams in the final results and go with it.

PEOPLE WOULD LOSE THEIR MINDS, if two SEC teams were in the Plus 1 championship game.

ABSOLUTELY LOSE THEIR MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what is the big difference from your plans and taking the two best teams after the regular season and playing a championship game?

PEOPLE WOULD LOSE THEIR MINDS, if two SEC teams were in the Plus 1 championship game.

ABSOLUTELY LOSE THEIR MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what is the big difference from your plans and taking the two best teams after the regular season and playing a championship game?

Okay. No need to shout. I see your point.

I was just was thinking that the best two teams cannot always be determined after the regular season. It would seem more logical that the best two teams could be better determined after the bowls were completed. As far as selecting teams from the same conference, you are right about the national outcry.

But shouldn't we want the best two teams in the nation for the championship game, regardless?