Problems that school cafeteria's face

ladiesbballcoach

What a thankless job they have.

The kids have been conditioned in restaurants to have double and triple portions when they order food. So, you sit down at a restaurant and you are actually eating twice the amount of food you are supposed to be eating.

As a result, when the cafeteria serves the correct portions, the kids complain they are being starved to death.

In addition, we did a unit on health and eating choices yesterday. You are supposed to have no more than 50 grams of sugar a day.

Breakfast choices at school. The small OJ of 4 ounces has 14 grams of sugar but the full day of Vitamin C. An 8 oz chocolate milk 1% has 28 grams of sugar.

Together that is 42 grams of sugar. ALMOST the full daily limit.

Have the chocolate milk for lunch and now you are at 56 grams of sugar in your 3 drinking choices and you haven't ate anything for breakfast, lunch or supper.

Choose white milk and it is not much better. 1% is the choice now at schools. That has 11 grams of sugar. Add that with the OJ and you are at 25 grams of sugar for your breakfast choices. 36 grams of sugar after having white milk at lunch.

The problem I see is that they are supposed to be serving healthy lunches...one menu I have seen...mashed potatoes, mac & cheese and peas along with a meat selection. How many startches do you need in one meal? I understand the portion control aspect but when you have kids that are in school all day and then go right to sports practice or game, without the chance to get a snack, it makes for a long time between meals and they are absolutely starving by the time practice/game is over.

The problem I see is that they are supposed to be serving healthy lunches...one menu I have seen...mashed potatoes, mac & cheese and peas along with a meat selection. How many startches do you need in one meal? I understand the portion control aspect but when you have kids that are in school all day and then go right to sports practice or game, without the chance to get a snack, it makes for a long time between meals and they are absolutely starving by the time practice/game is over.

My daughter's athletic bag is packed with cereal bars, nutrition bars, etc in which she can quickly snack on between school and practice.

Some of the combinations have been interesting. The only thing I would say on that is that there are a lot of kids that the ONLY two good meals they get a day are breakfast and lunch at school.

You know my son is one of the last groups to eat each day. He always says there is hardly any food left for them.

Honest question. Do you think that it is because there actually isn't much food left or because the portions he is used to at restaurants and probably even at home are larger than the portions that technically he is supposed to be eating and is served at school.

And then funny question. So, he only gets a choice of steak OR prime rib and NOT BOTH.:D

Honest question. Do you think that it is because there actually isn't much food left or because the portions he is used to at restaurants and probably even at home are larger than the portions that technically he is supposed to be eating and is served at school.

And then funny question. So, he only gets a choice of steak OR prime rib and NOT BOTH.:D

I know at Trinity that those of us who ate during the second lunch often had to deal with them running out of food on account of the Freshmen and Sophmores in the first lunch. Of course this is when we only had 2 lunches and the Freshman classes kept growing before they adjusted to it.

I don't know if it is still an issue.

And of course with out 5 Star dining at Trinity you could get BOTH as long as you were willing to pay for it. :banana:

What a thankless job they have.

The kids have been conditioned in restaurants to have double and triple portions when they order food. So, you sit down at a restaurant and you are actually eating twice the amount of food you are supposed to be eating.

As a result, when the cafeteria serves the correct portions, the kids complain they are being starved to death.

In addition, we did a unit on health and eating choices yesterday. You are supposed to have no more than 50 grams of sugar a day.

Breakfast choices at school. The small OJ of 4 ounces has 14 grams of sugar but the full day of Vitamin C. An 8 oz chocolate milk 1% has 28 grams of sugar.

Together that is 42 grams of sugar. ALMOST the full daily limit.

Have the chocolate milk for lunch and now you are at 56 grams of sugar in your 3 drinking choices and you haven't ate anything for breakfast, lunch or supper.

Choose white milk and it is not much better. 1% is the choice now at schools. That has 11 grams of sugar. Add that with the OJ and you are at 25 grams of sugar for your breakfast choices. 36 grams of sugar after having white milk at lunch.

My son just orders 3 of everything.

Highlands has a computerized system that parents can now call and set stipulations on snacks, etc. You cant make your kids eat certain foods but when little johnny wants that extra Big Cookie along with a Slush Puppy, you can put a lock on it. For instance, you can say, only 2 snacks per week, etc. Set limits which is nice. It makes them eat their other food as well when they know they cant satisfy that cravng with a HUGE Chocolate chip cookie.

I know when I went to highschool from 2000-2004 if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner then it was going to be hard to get turkey. My freshman year we had it divided up into 3 seperate lunches and if you were on that 3rd lunch then you probably wasn't getting turkey. They never had enough food prepared for students and we had pizza everyday as one of our choices and some of the pizza would be burnt or old and they'd still make us take it before they brought another pizaa out...It was just dumb.

I know when I went to highschool from 2000-2004 if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner then it was going to be hard to get turkey. My freshman year we had it divided up into 3 seperate lunches and if you were on that 3rd lunch then you probably wasn't getting turkey. They never had enough food prepared for students and we had pizza everyday as one of our choices and some of the pizza would be burnt or old and they'd still make us take it before they brought another pizaa out...It was just dumb.

:thumb:

I had 3rd lunch for a couple of semesters... Chicken sandwiches were my favorite lunch item and they were ALWAYS out of them by the time I got down there.. Cold ham and cheese 4/5 days a week.