New Tates Creek Coach???????

ddky1970

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By JR, I assume you mean Joe Ruddell, the athletic director at Tates Creek. And by Knight Rider I assume you are from Lexington Catholic. Joe Ruddell is one of the most stand up gentlemen in all of athletics in the state. I am sure the folks at Catholic do not like him because he has always stood up, with a tremendous amount of courage, for what is right and legal, according to the KHSAA rules. If we are condemning a man for following the rules, wanting all of his coaches to follow them, and calling out those schools that blatantly do not, then shame on you. Coach Ruddell is one of the best AD's around and without a doubt, the most courageous. Keep up the great work Coach Ruddell!! Many many people around the state are with you and in your corner.

I assume that "footsand" is either a tremendous fan or a relative of JR. The man's impact on Fayette Co football is what it is. He brought a lot of success to TC, learned well from Roy Walton, but he does have deep rooted problems with the football program at LC. He was originally offered the head job at LC, but wasn't interested. The LC program quickly became something that JR didn't visualize and when Bob Sphire initiated the Bluegrass Bowl and it coincided with TC's bowl, JR was upset (put mildly). The rise of Catholic football along with their other sports programs led to the "unofficial boycott" that no one at the Central Office seems to be aware of, even to this day. JR was instrumental in that movement-just ask him.

I have had the names Joe Ruddell and Ken Cox often when it comes to the Lexington city schools boycott of playing Lexington Catholic. I do not know specifics, but I think it is grossly unfair to the players from the city schools who would love to compete with the players from Lexington Catholic.

The only ones who continue to support the boycott are a choice few.

I wonder how tempting this job is considering Henry Clay and Sam Simpson have had thier way with the other 6As in the city. Plus X and T are a huge road block. What kind of guy would TC look for, a young coach with a good pedigree or a vet with experience?

Things go in cycles in the city. Henry Clay doesn't have anything the other city schools are worried about in the long term.

On the job Tates Creek should look for a coach who is willing to sacrifice administrative support for talent and teach a full load of classes. Fayette county schools have talent just waiting for coaching and BOOSTERS because the county pays for nothing.

Things go in cycles in the city. Henry Clay doesn't have anything the other city schools are worried about in the long term.On the job Tates Creek should look for a coach who is willing to sacrifice administrative support for talent and teach a full load of classes. Fayette county schools have talent just waiting for coaching and BOOSTERS because the county pays for nothing.

I agree that Lex can go in cycles. Coach Sam does have the strangle hold right now, though.

Would TC consider reaching out to Jeff Carlburg or is that a pipe-dream (former Lex Cath D-Coordinator and GREAT coach currently at Apollo)?

I'm not familar with Joe but is he the guy that requires coaches to run the ball until the cows come home? Was he a former head coach at TC?

I wonder how tempting this job is considering Henry Clay and Sam Simpson have had thier way with the other 6As in the city. Plus X and T are a huge road block. What kind of guy would TC look for, a young coach with a good pedigree or a vet with experience?

Mark Willoughby was an assistant under Ruddell for several years at Tates Creek....and when he took over, there was no need for a complete overhaul. Tates Creek was the dominant public school in Lexington from 98-01 going to the state semis every year.

Tates Creek did run into a buzz saw when they played Male in the 98 finals, an Eric Shelton led Bryan Station team in 99 semis, and Trinity in 00 an 01 in the semis....but TC was as physical and smash mouth as anyone in the state during those years and that style worked to an extent. The past few seasons TC has obviously lacked in talent and was undermatched in most games.

Henry Clay has taken over the dominance in the city since TC's run, but TC could easily return to being the top city team with the right coach....