New Tates Creek Coach???????

ddky1970

I have seen TC play 0 times but people tell me they refuse to throw the ball in the past, just repeating hearsay, it may not be true.

Your statement of refusing to throw the football is 100% correct, and it has been that way since the school opened over 30 years ago.

To their defense, they have had a lot of success running the football and winning games until recently.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest obstacles I've seen Fayette 6As encounter when they run into T or X is they get worn down. T and X both put about 80-100 players on the field for a game as does the Fayettes. What I have seen T and X do for years is platoon their offensive and defensive lines to a depth of 2 or 3 levels. The line runs three or four plays at you and they switch out to a fresh group and they do this all night. Fayette schools have the athletes and numbers to do this as well-I can't really explain their rationale for not. This approach would also increase the number of kids coming out, the parents joining the booster ranks, and ultimately, their performance on the field. The JR influence at TC is the running game-pure and simple. I watched TC and Trinity in the playoffs here a few years ago and the outcome was obvious in the first two possessions. The coaches need to assert their "head coach" responsibilities and install a game that matches their skills.

^The Lexington 6As do not have the numbers of T or X...I saw Tates Creek, Dunbar, and Henry Clay last year and without dressing freshman, I'd say each team had 50 players max, maybe less.....and while the idea of platooning is nice, the drop off between 1s and 2s, and especially 3s is not going to allow them to have much of a chance. Stongopenyon or the Golfer will back me on that one.

One of the biggest obstacles I've seen Fayette 6As encounter when they run into T or X is they get worn down. T and X both put about 80-100 players on the field for a game as does the Fayettes. What I have seen T and X do for years is platoon their offensive and defensive lines to a depth of 2 or 3 levels. The line runs three or four plays at you and they switch out to a fresh group and they do this all night. Fayette schools have the athletes and numbers to do this as well-I can't really explain their rationale for not. This approach would also increase the number of kids coming out, the parents joining the booster ranks, and ultimately, their performance on the field. The JR influence at TC is the running game-pure and simple. I watched TC and Trinity in the playoffs here a few years ago and the outcome was obvious in the first two possessions. The coaches need to assert their "head coach" responsibilities and install a game that matches their skills.

If you watched the TC and Trinity playoff game in Lexington from 2000 (which was the game in Lexington) how did the first two series indicate what the final score was? At one point in that game the score was 27-21??? Joe Ruddell does not demand that the ball be run on every play. That was his philosophy. Coach Willoughby chose to continue with that philosophy on his own accord. Coach Ruddell lets his coaches make their own decisions. The biggest problem at TC and I should know more than anyone else on this site is that there was no recruitment of athletes at the school. Whoever came out at the beginning of offseason weights was who played. No attempt was made to attract the atheltes who could have been convinced to play after a little bit of attention from a coach. I played at TC from 98-01 and we were really good, but it is a misnomer that we never passed the ball, 3 of the 4 years our QB threw for over 1,000 yards. In 2001 David Hamilton threw for over 1500 yards. Son of Bear and Strongopenyon have it right that we had a lot more talent on those teams, but the talent is still in the school building.

On another note, here are some potential candidates (I am not sure if any of these people have inquired, these are coaches are RUMORED to be interested or have prior connections to TC: Mike Harmon Lafayette, Robbie Sayre Lafayette, Jason Chappell So. Laurel, Scott Carmony JTown, John Griggs (former Boyle Co., and West Jess coach), Mark Catlett (former Ballard HC, and TC grad), Steve Stonebraker (Garrard Co.).

One important point for the years that we are discussing is that Tates Creek did have a lot of success during those seasons and thus, played probably 13 or 14 games each year. One thousand yards passing in a 14 game season is not even 100 yards passing per game.

Nonetheless, passing or not passing Tates Creek had a lot of success with what I would call "smashmouth" football. I personally think that when the new stadium was built at Tates Creek, it would have been high time to reanalyze the entire situation and go to a spread offense with more effective passing. Trust me, as "Bright Horizon" says, the talent is on that campus. In fact, their freshman team this year had a lot of good looking kids playing on it.

The football future could be very bright at Tates Creek with the right hire!

I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen George Barber's name listed as potential coach for TC. He had a pretty good run a few years ago when Bryan Station was known as the Big Green Machine and, I'm told, has a following of "ancient groupies" saying "I remember you from somewhere". I understand that his affiliation with the Horseman is now kaput, and his only outdoor adventures now consist of chasing a golf ball in areas referred to as

somewhere outside the rough/somebody's driveway/where the grass is green because of the livestock/etc. He might still make a pretty decent coach.

I wonder what Mike Harmon's level of interest is??????

He is a former player and coach at Creek and has had good success in rebuilding the Lafayette program. Tates Creek has better facilities and it would allow Mike to not have to practice in the front lawn of his school.

If I were on the selection committee, Mike Harmon would be one of my first choices.

I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen George Barber's name listed as potential coach for TC. He had a pretty good run a few years ago when Bryan Station was known as the Big Green Machine and, I'm told, has a following of "ancient groupies" saying "I remember you from somewhere". I understand that his affiliation with the Horseman is now kaput, and his only outdoor adventures now consist of chasing a golf ball in areas referred to as

somewhere outside the rough/somebody's driveway/where the grass is green because of the livestock/etc. He might still make a pretty decent coach.

Didn't Coach Barber coach at Dunbar, but send his son to Lexington Catholic?

I have had the names Joe Ruddell and Ken Cox often when it comes to the Lexington city schools boycott of playing Lexington Catholic. I do not know specifics, but I think it is grossly unfair to the players from the city schools who would love to compete with the players from Lexington Catholic.

The only ones who continue to support the boycott are a choice few.

Problem is that the coaches whose team's seeding in tournament play isn't at risk reportedly are told by Fayette higher-ups not to sign any game contracts with LC or they risk losing their coaching jobs-seems to be an "inside" operation so that the Board and Stu can truthfully say they know nothing about it.

Problem is that the coaches whose team's seeding in tournament play isn't at risk reportedly are told by Fayette higher-ups not to sign any game contracts with LC or they risk losing their coaching jobs-seems to be an "inside" operation so that the Board and Stu can truthfully say they know nothing about it.

Who in the world told you this??? I work at Dunbar and the only email I remember Hensley getting is an email a couple of years ago saying the Boycott was over and Lexington Schools can schedule Lexington Catholic. Dunbar has played Lexington Catholic in JV the last two seasons.

Who in the world told you this??? I work at Dunbar and the only email I remember Hensley getting is an email a couple of years ago saying the Boycott was over and Lexington Schools can schedule Lexington Catholic. Dunbar has played Lexington Catholic in JV the last two seasons.

These "conditions" exist within the spoken parameters of the local sports world. No one is going to put in writing-either email or hard copy-any of these "restrictions" without putting their futures at risk. If you question this, ask any current or prior member of the Fayette Co School Board or Superintendent how the "boycott" came about/exists now. Ask for a copy of Board meeting minutes or Superintendent directives referring to their position on the "boycott"/ban on scheduling LC in any athletic events. They all told me there is not now nor has there ever been a policy of athletic boycott between FCPS and LC. The only reason it appears resolved now is because KHSAA realigned the districts in basketball, soccer, and baseball and placed the schools in competitive seeding positions.

These "conditions" exist within the spoken parameters of the local sports world. No one is going to put in writing-either email or hard copy-any of these "restrictions" without putting their futures at risk. If you question this, ask any current or prior member of the Fayette Co School Board or Superintendent how the "boycott" came about/exists now. Ask for a copy of Board meeting minutes or Superintendent directives referring to their position on the "boycott"/ban on scheduling LC in any athletic events. They all told me there is not now nor has there ever been a policy of athletic boycott between FCPS and LC. The only reason it appears resolved now is because KHSAA realigned the districts in basketball, soccer, and baseball and placed the schools in competitive seeding positions.

Yes and when seeding came into play and the public schools had to play Lexington Catholic in basketball the boycott was only restricted for football and became irrelevant so an email was sent out saying the public football teams can schedule Lexington Catholic.

I assure you Letton and other Lexington Public Coaches have talked about playing one another but nothing has worked out yet.

Dunbar has played Lexington Catholic in JV the last two seasons and the Freshman team played LCA this season. If there was a boycott this could not happen. Its not a "Varsity" Boycott.