Meet the Devils

Your post question was not for me but I have to say that I don't really agree with 7th graders playing varsity (in any sport).

I don't think that I have seen but maybe a very, very few that were developed physically enough and if so they are not developed "mentally" enough to play on the varsty level.

Jmo but it is best to wait a couple of years (at least) for them to play varsity. I don't care if they are that good I just think that a 7trh grader on the varsity level may get his confidence shaken or even destroyed. They are going to get out "muscled" and out played and this may make them think that they are not that good or don't belong playing basketball.

I just don't think that you need to take a chance on a kid that young with so much potential and talent get discouraged in playing. (The kid and others say they wouldn't, of course they would. A kid wants to play and is a competitor).

That is why imo an adult/parent and Coach should step in and not put a 7th grader on a level that he may lose confidence or be overwhelmed physically and mentally.

A 7th grade kid is just not on the level of a 16,17 or 18 year old Junior or Senior. Another thing that I mean by "not develped mentally" goes beyond "on the basketball floor". I just don't think that 7th graders should be hanging around Jr's and Sr.'s in high school for various other reasons.

These are jmo and I am not trying to tell anyone what they should or should not do with their child and/or their player/athlete. I just wanted to put some of my thoughts out there.

That is the big reason there. Good point.:thumb:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, why would u want to?

If a player is that could move him to maybe Freshman team, but never to JV...That is too extreme mentally for a 7th Grader.

I could only think of 2 reasons why a school system would do that...

1. Not enough older players came out OR

2. School system trying to keep parents happy and keep their Kid in the system because of a bright future.

This is not reflective of the Skaggs family, just in general.

Bingo!!!

I see your point but I also think that a good player that works on his/her game and can play should not be punished because of their age. Playing up under the right conditions will do nothing but provide huge dividends for that player when they eventually play against kids their own age. I watched 3 Rose Hill games tonight:

1. Freshman against Greenup

2. Seventh against Boyd

3. Eighth against Boyd

Rose Hill demolished those teams and could have beaten them by 50 or more if they wanted to run the score up and they didnt. They main difference is that these kids play up and when they play against kids their age they have no fear and no problems man handling them.

Lets look at Kyle Skaggs for example. Should he play up or shouldnt he? If Kyle is good enough to play up then he should be allowed to do so. Why should he be punished because some parents get upset that their child isnt as good as Kyle. Bottom line is this...Kids dont work on their games anymore. Sure some play AAU but that is not the same as developing their weakness into strengths. Maybe Kyle isnt good enough to play JV or Varsity but he should definately be playing above his grade level. And if Russell is as weak as the posters indicate then Dodd may be wise to bring Kyle along at a slow pace and give him valuable minutes this year.

I see your point but I also think that a good player that works on his/her game and can play should not be punished because of their age. Playing up under the right conditions will do nothing but provide huge dividends for that player when they eventually play against kids their own age. I watched 3 Rose Hill games tonight:

1. Freshman against Greenup

2. Seventh against Boyd

3. Eighth against Boyd

Rose Hill demolished those teams and could have beaten them by 50 or more if they wanted to run the score up and they didnt. They main difference is that these kids play up and when they play against kids their age they have no fear and no problems man handling them.

Lets look at Kyle Skaggs for example. Should he play up or shouldnt he? If Kyle is good enough to play up then he should be allowed to do so. Why should he be punished because some parents get upset that their child isnt as good as Kyle. Bottom line is this...Kids dont work on their games anymore. Sure some play AAU but that is not the same as developing their weakness into strengths. Maybe Kyle isnt good enough to play JV or Varsity but he should definately be playing above his grade level. And if Russell is as weak as the posters indicate then Dodd may be wise to bring Kyle along at a slow pace and give him valuable minutes this year.

I think Kyle is good enough to play up, just not the JV level yet. I do feel he is good enough for the challenge of moving up just not that far yet.

Comparisons of Boyd and RH cannot state your case for this example though. I seen all 3 games as well. You cannot compare your situation to those games by any means. Boyd's 7th Grade is as talented as RH's, just not as scrappy and as aggressive, so that makes them about 10-15 worse by not hustling. There is NO WAY that RH can beat Boyd's 7th grade by 50. Boyd's 8th grade is very weak, but did hustle the whole game, and could be beaten by 50, but keep in mind RH's 8th grade is very talented, but very old as well.

I will be the first to admit it, Rose Hill was quite impressive in all age groups(I hope no one reads this:thumb:), but you cant use that as an example for Kyle's postion. But I do agree he should be on the Freshman team.

I think Kyle is good enough to play up, just not the JV level yet. I do feel he is good enough for the challenge of moving up just not that far yet.

Comparisons of Boyd and RH cannot state your case for this example though. I seen all 3 games as well. You cannot compare your situation to those games by any means. Boyd's 7th Grade is as talented as RH's, just not as scrappy and as aggressive, so that makes them about 10-15 worse by not hustling. There is NO WAY that RH can beat Boyd's 7th grade by 50. Boyd's 8th grade is very weak, but did hustle the whole game, and could be beaten by 50, but keep in mind RH's 8th grade is very talented, but very old as well.

I will be the first to admit it, Rose Hill was quite impressive in all age groups(I hope no one reads this:thumb:), but you cant use that as an example for Kyle's postion. But I do agree he should be on the Freshman team.

Unless the scoreboard was wrong, RH 7th won by 23. Starters didn't play the 4th quarter. Perhaps not 50, but considerably more. This "old" thing is just that----old!

As far as Russell is concerned, I too believe that they are so thin in talent that they have no choice other than to have a talented young kid play up to get some valuable experience. He may be all that they have in a few years.

How can it not? You think that BC 7th is as talented as RH. Were you at the game? BC couldnt even get the ball across half court for much of the game.

IMO, Roger (one of the greatest coaches ever in the 16th) should come down and revamp the BC feeder system, or he is in for lean years in the near future.

Unless the scoreboard was wrong, RH 7th won by 23. Starters didn't play the 4th quarter. Perhaps not 50, but considerably more. This "old" thing is just that----old!

As far as Russell is concerned, I too believe that they are so thin in talent that they have no choice other than to have a talented young kid play up to get some valuable experience. He may be all that they have in a few years.

You failed to mention that we have 3rd Graders driving to school now.

Am I correct in thinking that if Skaggs plays any varisty ball for Russell this season he must sit out next year if he were to transfer??? Isnt that the rule in football....? Enlighten me....

His Dad has a double major

1. Business

2. Teaching

If he takes a teaching position then Kyle would be eligible to play

Your exactly right...starters for BOTH teams sat out the 4th.:thumb:

I gave you your props of being a great team, but with a little coaching of beating the press, then Boyd was right in the game.

Is it you wanna blast me for saying things about Rose Hill or are you guys afraid to admit that someone MIGHT be as good as u..???

I gave you your props of being a great team, but with a little coaching of beating the press, then Boyd was right in the game.

Is it you wanna blast me for saying things about Rose Hill or are you guys afraid to admit that someone MIGHT be as good as u..???

Hold on a minute. I didn't know that you were blasted. At least not by me. I'm not going to argue over something this silly. And I don't think that the Boyd team is bad at all. And I'd gladly admit it if Boyd was as good. I just don't see it. There always seems to be an excuse. Too old, couldn't break the press. Poor coaching, whatever. I'm finished with this considering we have run this thread about meeting the devils into the ground over something not remotely having to do with Russell.

I say things about Rose Hill myself, there are no perfect systems not even in a Christian School but if BC was that good then why the blowout?

I am not blasting you.

Maybe you should get invovled in coaching as others should. I seen a 2 time, back to back 16th Regional MVP...a Mr. Joey Wells sitting in the stands. I take it that he has a son that plays, why isnt he coaching. I know that he knows a lot about the game.

Are you suggesting that Rose Hill has a better bench as well?