Fletcher Gay Press Release - Sign of Desperation?

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20071013/NEWS0103/710130398

Two things stand out to me. The thought it is OK to attack donors who are not in the public eye, committed no crime, etc. is a very scary tactic. Attack the donors to prevent them from giving? All they did was exercise their right to participate.

The other is the comment from Fletcher campaign to suggest they should change the donor card information. Would that not constitute something wrong?!:sssh: and if that happened would the Fletcher camp said, OK thing to do instead of cover up?!:lol:

Fletcher probably has the worst political consultants ever...

Definitely true. Terrible campaign.

People have been saying for months that Fletcher would resort to attacks on homosexuals and the campaign played right into it. However, I don't think their point was to attack homosexuals, but to attack Beshear for recognizing a union unconstitutional in the Commonwealth. Despite that, they knew how it would be received and went for it anyway. Dumb, dumb move. They should have, if they were going to pursue it at all, brought it to the attention of the press and prayed a journalist took it up.

I understand your point but the bigger picture for a campaign with the state's highest office contends a possible violation. If the couple were to be caught and asked to change on a recording form, does a violation of free expression come into play as opposed to a KY reporting form if this couple said NO? What is scary is this is the incumbent and I think we are truly seeing how this man really thinks.

It is an election what do you want them to say and do. What about the move-on.org campaingn ads?

NO endorsement of those idiots at move on either. The difference here is this is a private citizen who has been dragged into the spotlight. Not by name but by description. What did they do wrong except exercise their right. What I would have liked Fletcher to say, or I should say should have done is tell David Williams to hit the road. Become a true leader and engage the legislature as the state leader. Instead of claiming what democrats did for years, prove it could be done and not follow their pattern. IF Beschear does this he will lock up a second term before he has to announce. No one wants the gridlock, it is a wasted chess game. This state is looking for someone to do the right thing. If Beshear does that, the Republicans better regroup because they will lose the Senate next.

NO endorsement of those idiots at move on either. The difference here is this is a private citizen who has been dragged into the spotlight. Not by name but by description. What did they do wrong except exercise their right. What I would have liked Fletcher to say, or I should say should have done is tell David Williams to hit the road. Become a true leader and engage the legislature as the state leader. Instead of claiming what democrats did for years, prove it could be done and not follow their pattern. IF Beschear does this he will lock up a second term before he has to announce. No one wants the gridlock, it is a wasted chess game. This state is looking for someone to do the right thing. If Beshear does that, the Republicans better regroup because they will lose the Senate next.
Do gay couples have the legal right to represent themselves as being married in Kentucky campaign filings? If not, that is what they did wrong.

Also, as I understand the law none of us have the "right" to donate anonymously to campaigns. Campaign records are public records, are they not? If so, what "right" has been violated, particularly if as you say the donors in question were not even identified by name?

Fletcher is as clumsy a politician as I have ever seen rise to the level to which he has risen. Once again, Fletcher has displayed his tin ear for Kentucky politics. End of story.

Do gay couples have the legal right to represent themselves as being married in Kentucky campaign filings? If not, that is what they did wrong.

Also, as I understand the law none of us have the "right" to donate anonymously to campaigns. Campaign records are public records, are they not? If so, what "right" has been violated, particularly if as you say the donors in question were not even identified by name?

Fletcher is as clumsy a politician as I have ever seen rise to the level to which he has risen. Once again, Fletcher has displayed his tin ear for Kentucky politics. End of story.

Did not say anything about their rights being violated. Please read posts again. I said they were being called out as private citiznes for exercising their rights. That is a sad and bad trend to follow.

As to their filling out the donation card, if they consider themsevles married and write it out accordingly, unless the donation card regulations specifically state otherwise (read: IRS filings, etc.) there is no violation. May not make it right but it is not a violation. The point is all donors now become targets for desperate campaign idiot managers or strategies.

Did not say anything about their rights being violated. Please read posts again. I said they were being called out as private citiznes for exercising their rights. That is a sad and bad trend to follow.

As to their filling out the donation card, if they consider themsevles married and write it out accordingly, unless the donation card regulations specifically state otherwise (read: IRS filings, etc.) there is no violation. May not make it right but it is not a violation. The point is all donors now become targets for desperate campaign idiot managers or strategies.

You said that the couple were exercising their "rights." I ask you, what rights were they exercising when they claimed to be married, when in fact, they were not. Somebody on Beshear's staff should have asked the donors to correct the donation card. I doubt that the law allows donors to knowingly provide incorrect information. If so, then the law needs to be amended.

As for making donors targets, Fletcher did no such thing. He made Beshear a target for submitting an inaccurate donor card. The attempt to use the donor card as evidence Beshear supports a radical homosexual agenda was pathetic, but nobody was attacked for exercising any "right."

You said that the couple were exercising their "rights." I ask you, what rights were they exercising when they claimed to be married, when in fact, they were not. Somebody on Beshear's staff should have asked the donors to correct the donation card. I doubt that the law allows donors to knowingly provide incorrect information. If so, then the law needs to be amended.

As for making donors targets, Fletcher did no such thing. He made Beshear a target for submitting an inaccurate donor card. The attempt to use the donor card as evidence Beshear supports a radical homosexual agenda was pathetic, but nobody was attacked for exercising any "right."

Their right to free expression, which probably trumps KY law for one. Two, if they were "married" in a state the acknowledges the same, same deal. Donors are NOT allowed to provide incorrect information, you sign as statement of truth to that effect. Notice the Fletcher spokesman who said the Beasher camp should have changed the form? Think that is not a legal violation? I disagree nobody was attacked for exercising their right. I know of no donor who expects or desires to be profiled for supporting a political candidate. The Flecther camp grabbed a particular donor and highlighted the information they submitted and put it up as illegal. If you gave money to a politician would you want to be called out for the opposition political gain at your expense? It is just not right. I agree with the rest of your comments.

Their right to free expression, which probably trumps KY law for one. Two, if they were "married" in a state the acknowledges the same, same deal. Donors are NOT allowed to provide incorrect information, you sign as statement of truth to that effect. Notice the Fletcher spokesman who said the Beasher camp should have changed the form? Think that is not a legal violation? I disagree nobody was attacked for exercising their right. I know of no donor who expects or desires to be profiled for supporting a political candidate. The Flecther camp grabbed a particular donor and highlighted the information they submitted and put it up as illegal. If you gave money to a politician would you want to be called out for the opposition political gain at your expense? It is just not right. I agree with the rest of your comments.
Freedom of expression - on a political campaign donor card or campaign finance report? Are you joking?

I believe the issue that Fletcher's campaign raised was that Beshear (or his representative) signed a campaign finance report containing information that they knew or should have known to be false. Nobody suggested, as I understand it, that Beshear's people correct the donor card.

Again, no donor "right" was ever at issue. Their names are a matter of public record, and they may (or may not) have violated state and federal laws by providing false information to the Beshear campaign, but Fletcher and his staff did not suggest that Beshear violate any laws as a result.

Fletcher opponents are trying to make way too much out of a clumsy political mistake. Fletcher broke no law and he did not suggest that Beshear break any law.

Freedom of expression - on a political campaign donor card or campaign finance report? Are you joking?

I believe the issue that Fletcher's campaign raised was that Beshear (or his representative) signed a campaign finance report containing information that they knew or should have known to be false. Nobody suggested, as I understand it, that Beshear's people correct the donor card.

Asked if he was suggesting that the Beshear campaign should have altered the information provided by the donor, to reflect his marital status as single, Keller said: "I think that would have been the proper recourse."

Again, no donor "right" was ever at issue. Their names are a matter of public record, and they may (or may not) have violated state and federal laws by providing false information to the Beshear campaign, but Fletcher and his staff did not suggest that Beshear violate any laws as a result.Fletcher opponents are trying to make way too much out of a clumsy political mistake. Fletcher broke no law and he did not suggest that Beshear break any law.

Stating on his report that one male is the spouse of another runs contrary to the law of Kentucky," Keller asserted.

When the newspaper pointed out that the report actually had been signed by campaign officials and not by Beshear himself, as the law allows, Keller was unrepentant.

"Regardless, the document was signed on his behalf," Keller said. "Without question he violated the constitution. The document is his responsibility."

I believe Mr. Shadow is correct. This is not an issue if Fletcher would never have brought it up. Very interesting point SS makes if this couple is married in a state that does allow such unions. Besides, these cards are really a waste of time. I know of contributors who claim some holding company as their employer instead of the engineering firm they work for. I know of spouses who claim housewife who are on the payroll of the husband companies. These are more gray areas than spouse. What is it if they are separated but listed as single or married instead, are they lying? I agree, Fletcher is desperate and this is all his fault. I think it is honorable that Mr. Beshear is defending his donors.