16th. Region Football Officials...What's going on?

OldVeteran

The split crew approach is something that was to be tried this season in Northeastern Kentucky. There is no attempt to get rid of any crews or an attack on any person. Now, with that said, this does not mean that it will work in our part of the state. However, it does justify trying it and seeing if it works or not. At the end of the season, it will be evaluated and see if it provided better officiating or not.

To the one person that said their are only a few good cres and this just makes everyone bad, I take exception to. You have 8 crews of people that work long hours every year to prepare for a season to call these games. Do they get every single call right, no. Do they call everything exactly the way they the fans wanty, absolutely not. But all in all they do a good job. The very point that in the middle of the season, the fans have nothning better to discuss than if the crews are split or not, says something about the lacks of controversy.

Okay, off my soap box now. Have a great rest of the season.

I would have to say that you are right. I think, in North-Eastern Kentucky, we have a great group of officials. Are all of them perfect? No. But, all in all they do a great job. And you will not notice this as much if you do not travel to other areas of the state. I think we are very fortunate to have the officials we have. I know many of them personally, and they are generally concerned that they do a good job. They have asked me following games if they missed a controversial call. They want to know if other people saw it the way they saw it.

Hats off to them, they do a great job.

I would have to say that you are right. I think, in North-Eastern Kentucky, we have a great group of officials. Are all of them perfect? No. But, all in all they do a great job. And you will not notice this as much if you do not travel to other areas of the state. I think we are very fortunate to have the officials we have. I know many of them personally, and they are generally concerned that they do a good job. They have asked me following games if they missed a controversial call. They want to know if other people saw it the way they saw it.

Hats off to them, they do a great job.

Thanks, we appreciate it. There are several of us that will spend several hours a week watching and rewatching film, the same way the players do to improve.

Also, just an FYI to make sure everyone understands, Split crew weeks are week 6 and 8, which are non-district weeks. There are other weeks that people may think that there are split crews when they are not. The reason for this is there are 3 crews that are not at full staff. So these crews require a person or two from another crew. But an effort was made so that split crews were done in non-district weeks.

The split crew approach is something that was to be tried this season in Northeastern Kentucky. There is no attempt to get rid of any crews or an attack on any person. Now, with that said, this does not mean that it will work in our part of the state. However, it does justify trying it and seeing if it works or not. At the end of the season, it will be evaluated and see if it provided better officiating or not.

To the one person that said their are only a few good cres and this just makes everyone bad, I take exception to. You have 8 crews of people that work long hours every year to prepare for a season to call these games. Do they get every single call right, no. Do they call everything exactly the way they the fans wanty, absolutely not. But all in all they do a good job. The very point that in the middle of the season, the fans have nothning better to discuss than if the crews are split or not, says something about the lacks of controversy.

Okay, off my soap box now. Have a great rest of the season.

and one more thing, just saw wasn't in my post (I hate these stipid touchpas mouse things..grrrr) The split crew approach is used in other parts of the state every week, Louisville for example, but as I said, that doesn't mean it will work here, but is worthy of trying it out. Ok, NOW I will really shut-up.

Some thoughts on this issue:

First of all there were a large % of the NE Ky. officials who specifically requested this action from the assigning secretary. You may not find many that will go on public record saying that they were in favor of it; however, a large number of officials wanted these split crews at the start of the season.

Why? More officials get a chance to work and work bigger games at that.

On the one hand how could anyone argue this method, afterall, isn't this the way crews are assigned for the state championships?

Then again, I know that the biggest reason that some of these guys do the job locally is because of the bonds they have with their crew. The money and time are secondary thoughts to them. They love to do the games with their partners. I can understand that side of it too!

As for the assigning secretary thinking about getting out after one year, well I can understand that too. He is doing what he was hired to do by the athletic council and requested by the officials and many are reportedly acting in such a way that would make any adult throw up their hands and wonder why they are involved. Remember the time and the pay for the secretary isn't anything to write home about either!

The solution of doing some split crews and some standing crews should give everyone a chance to see how it works then maybe everyone can find some piece...but then again I doubt it!

Some thoughts on this issue:

First of all there were a large % of the NE Ky. officials who specifically requested this action from the assigning secretary. You may not find many that will go on public record saying that they were in favor of it; however, a large number of officials wanted these split crews at the start of the season.

Why? More officials get a chance to work and work bigger games at that.

On the one hand how could anyone argue this method, afterall, isn't this the way crews are assigned for the state championships?

Then again, I know that the biggest reason that some of these guys do the job locally is because of the bonds they have with their crew. The money and time are secondary thoughts to them. They love to do the games with their partners. I can understand that side of it too!

As for the assigning secretary thinking about getting out after one year, well I can understand that too. He is doing what he was hired to do by the athletic council and requested by the officials and many are reportedly acting in such a way that would make any adult throw up their hands and wonder why they are involved. Remember the time and the pay for the secretary isn't anything to write home about either!

The solution of doing some split crews and some standing crews should give everyone a chance to see how it works then maybe everyone can find some piece...but then again I doubt it!

As with any official.........everyone wants to criticize, no one wants to listen to the truth. Great post, couldn't have said it better myself. What people don't realize is that these guys aren't here to "serve" you. They are doing something they enjoy and yes they make a small amount of money doing it (even less today with the travel and gas prices). They show up on Fridays to get cursed at, booed, and be told they are idiots. And people still want to criticize how they form their crews? Nonsense. Instead of criticizing, sign up and BE an official. Then you can talk all you like. I can tell you this, the more you criticize, in any form, the worse you are making it on yourself. The more officials that are driven away, the less games that can be covered, and their will be a dropoff in the quality of the officiating due to experience.

IMO this is what has necessitated the need for the split crew. It used to be that guys just worked lower level games until they had a few years under their belts. Now, because fewer people want to deal with the hassels of being an official, officiating associations don't have that luxury anymore. There simply aren't enough at the varsity level. You can imagine how frustrating it is for guys who have worked up through the ranks together over the years to now have to "bring the new guys along".

Does anybody know what's going on with the Football Officials in the 16th. area? The crews are being split up the last half of the season. From what I have seen and heard it doesn't seem to be working very well. To me, it doesn't make sense to break up the crews at the end of the season when the games mean more. Does any one know what's the reason? I have heard several opinions, such as an internal fued in the Officials Association, aimed at one particular top "white hat", and/or his crew, and the area "assignor" quitting, again, and that it is an "experiment". Hmmmm, it doesn't seem to be working. I have talked to several area refs, coaches, and administrators, they don't seem to be pleased with this. Does any one know anything? What is your opinion?

This part simply isn't true anymore either. Most district games take place earlier in the year with the new alignment. Not to mention that the games with the split crews are not district games, as someone mentioned earlier.

As an official, working new folks in is great, on a game that's going to have an obvious winner. We know those blow out games without mentioning any teams. Most know the outcome. That is the game the younger officials are going to get. Working a first year guy or two in on a game that is the so called, big game, not so sure that is a good idea. However, as an official, when I get my schedule, I say very little and work my games. If I get pulled off a game and placed on another, fine.

There's a shortage of officials across the state, across the nation and at all levels. Officiating can be tough if you are the official who wants to move into other levels and for the official who is not, that is fine. Most of us work extremely hard to make it better and still get all the crap from fans on forums such as this. At games, I don't really hear them as I am concentrating on my job!

Split crews? If it works great, leave it up to your assignor and ratings and leave it at that.... As far as the 16th, they have just as good officials than any other region. I hope if they have problems inside that they can fix it and move on.

Officiating is a thankless job. Some are veterans, some with experience, while others are learning. We often don't appreciate the effort of ALL, who do officiate. I'm sure there is a reason, of splitting the crews at times.

I can see the need to transition inexperienced, with experienced, in impact games and regular games. They all get better by learning, atmosphere and mentors. It takes time to learn positioning, where/what to look for and mistakes will happen along the way of getting better.

If you see an Official, tell him you appreciate his effort, shake his hand and bite your tongue, if you're upset.. Remember there are 3 opinions, to every call made.

1) Fan Opinion

2) Officials Opinion

3) You're both human....mistakes will happen

As with any official.........everyone wants to criticize, no one wants to listen to the truth. Great post, couldn't have said it better myself. What people don't realize is that these guys aren't here to "serve" you. They are doing something they enjoy and yes they make a small amount of money doing it (even less today with the travel and gas prices). They show up on Fridays to get cursed at, booed, and be told they are idiots. And people still want to criticize how they form their crews? Nonsense. Instead of criticizing, sign up and BE an official. Then you can talk all you like. I can tell you this, the more you criticize, in any form, the worse you are making it on yourself. The more officials that are driven away, the less games that can be covered, and their will be a dropoff in the quality of the officiating due to experience.

IMO this is what has necessitated the need for the split crew. It used to be that guys just worked lower level games until they had a few years under their belts. Now, because fewer people want to deal with the hassels of being an official, officiating associations don't have that luxury anymore. There simply aren't enough at the varsity level. You can imagine how frustrating it is for guys who have worked up through the ranks together over the years to now have to "bring the new guys along".

This is a GREAT post!!!! A major reason why we are shorthanded on officials is because of the way we are treated. You have to have a deep love for this game to go out game after game and be screamed at like we are some caged animal. We have new people come out year after year and most don't last because of this reason, especially the young officials. It's a complete shame but it's the truth.

As far as the split crews go.. This is a method being tried out this year in our association. It is a method that is used in various associations across the state and used in some of the largest associations in the state. The split crews are being used in non-district games only. There are many different reasons why this method is being used. For one, officials are individually assigned from the 3rd week of the playoffs to the state championships and this method prepares officials for that transition. Another reason is obviously for mentoring. As a veteran official, I feel an obligation to officiating to help new and young officials who are starting out. It is very important to the future of area officiating that the new officials are mentored. With the split crew method many young officials are able to work with veterans who they may otherwise never get to work with.

As far as the posts saying that it was obviously political......That couldn't be further from the truth. Bill Heaberlin has done an incredible job this year assigning for us. He has been as fair as anyone can be. Many people who have worked really hard over the years are finally being rewared for their years of dedication to officiating. All we ever asked for in an assignor was someone to be fair and someone to back us up when needed and Bill has done both. I think he's done a great job and I hope he stays for years to come.

As far as the split crews go.. This is a method being tried out this year in our association. It is a method that is used in various associations across the state and used in some of the largest associations in the state. The split crews are being used in non-district games only. There are many different reasons why this method is being used. For one, officials are individually assigned from the 3rd week of the playoffs to the state championships and this method prepares officials for that transition. Another reason is obviously for mentoring. As a veteran official, I feel an obligation to officiating to help new and young officials who are starting out. It is very important to the future of area officiating that the new officials are mentored. With the split crew method many young officials are able to work with veterans who they may otherwise never get to work with.

As far as the posts saying that it was obviously political......That couldn't be further from the truth. Bill Heaberlin has done an incredible job this year assigning for us. He has been as fair as anyone can be. Many people who have worked really hard over the years are finally being rewared for their years of dedication to officiating. All we ever asked for in an assignor was someone to be fair and someone to back us up when needed and Bill has done both. I think he's done a great job and I hope he stays for years to come.

Bill is a fine person and, from what I understand, went into a hornet's nest when taking this position.

The one thing that assignors fall prey to is the "buddy" system. When you try and not work within that framework, you tend to pee people off..... I have seen this time in and time out within the officiating ranks, it happens, deal with it and go on.... is typically how I deal with it.....

It's like play-off games and working a state game, most times it is by seniority and not the best official. You would think the KHSAA would want the best working the most important game, I am sure the teams would.

The two new classes will give more officials the chance to work a state game.

Any chances that the last two rounds will ever be a 7 man crew?

The one thing that assignors fall prey to is the "buddy" system. When you try and not work within that framework, you tend to pee people off..... I have seen this time in and time out within the officiating ranks, it happens, deal with it and go on.... is typically how I deal with it.....

It's like play-off games and working a state game, most times it is by seniority and not the best official. You would think the KHSAA would want the best working the most important game, I am sure the teams would.

The two new classes will give more officials the chance to work a state game.

Any chances that the last two rounds will ever be a 7 man crew?

I don't think there is any chance of any playoff games being officiated by a 7 man crew. Without proper training in the mechanics of the 7 man system you could not implement it into the most important games of the year. Officials would need training and practice in order to work a 7 man crew. The only way you would be able to do it is to use the 7 man crew during the regular season, at least a few games. You would have to have game experience at the 7 man crew.