16th. Region Football Officials...What's going on?

OldVeteran

Does anybody know what's going on with the Football Officials in the 16th. area? The crews are being split up the last half of the season. From what I have seen and heard it doesn't seem to be working very well. To me, it doesn't make sense to break up the crews at the end of the season when the games mean more. Does any one know what's the reason? I have heard several opinions, such as an internal fued in the Officials Association, aimed at one particular top "white hat", and/or his crew, and the area "assignor" quitting, again, and that it is an "experiment". Hmmmm, it doesn't seem to be working. I have talked to several area refs, coaches, and administrators, they don't seem to be pleased with this. Does any one know anything? What is your opinion?

If you were/are an official and the crew you have been calling with for years was suddenly told they are being split up, would you be happy?

No I would not be happy. Are you saying this is what happened? If so, is it a case of trying to get some more experienced officals to work with some younger officials?

No I would not be happy. Are you saying this is what happened? If so, is it a case of trying to get some more experienced officals to work with some younger officials?

Yes this is what happened. I'm not sure the reason I just know this is what happened. I'm sure it was political in the end as to who got put where and why and how and all that. I don't know but I know that there was only a couple of good crews in the area and they broke them up so now there is just a bunch of bad crews with a couple good officials on them.

Yes this is what happened. I'm not sure the reason I just know this is what happened. I'm sure it was political in the end as to who got put where and why and how and all that. I don't know but I know that there was only a couple of good crews in the area and they broke them up so now there is just a bunch of bad crews with a couple good officials on them.

But wouldn't it make sense to put better officials with some inexperienced to teach them better and then make the 16th region the best officiating crews in the state? I am sure there is more political going on behind the scenes that what may get out. But I know the 16th region is needing officials and all this can't be good for all involved.

Yes, Bill did resign.

I found out today that Bill Heaberlin did not resign, he did say that when his term was up we would not except it again. However, the official who told me this, said that he thought Bill would reconsider due to that decision being made in the heat of the moment.

If you were/are an official and the crew you have been calling with for years was suddenly told they are being split up, would you be happy?

It doesn't matter if the crew is happy. That's the problem and has been for several years. Some of those crews and those officials think it is about them. It is not. They are simply independent contractors servicing the games. if they don't like it, they should do something else. But the little power kingdoms that are built up when local crews stay together too long are all the more evident now. If the training is good, it should not matter what Referee is paired with what umpire, or what wing officials are working together, they should all be doing the same thing. The regional subgroups are not in the best interest of the high school students that are serviced. Its not about the officials, coaches, administrators or fans. None of them should be the first priority.

It doesn't matter if the crew is happy. That's the problem and has been for several years. Some of those crews and those officials think it is about them. It is not. They are simply independent contractors servicing the games. if they don't like it, they should do something else. But the little power kingdoms that are built up when local crews stay together too long are all the more evident now. If the training is good, it should not matter what Referee is paired with what umpire, or what wing officials are working together, they should all be doing the same thing. The regional subgroups are not in the best interest of the high school students that are serviced. Its not about the officials, coaches, administrators or fans. None of them should be the first priority.

I have no idea about the officiating situation in the 16th so my comments certainly aren't directed that way. However, I will say this: I have noticed/heard that in recent years the number of officials, both new and old, has steadily declined. I think many are doing what you have suggested and are "doing something else". Fact of the matter is that most of these guys make very little for time they put into training, travel, etc. I know that many have decided that its just not worth it in between the general lack of respect for officials (in all sports), the time commitment, and political situations such as these. Most of these guys have wives and kids at home that I'm sure miss them very much when they are gone.

You are right about one thing, it should NEVER be about anyone other than the kids. But to treat it as a business, which is what you attempt to do with the talk of subcontracto, service, etc. is foolhardy IMO. It is not a profession for all but a select few and therefore you cannot treat it in such a manner. My two cents is that more people are trying to treat it in this regard, so it has become a less fun "hobby" for the officials, and they are retiring earlier and coming out in less numbers. Less in quantity and experience can never be a good thing.

The split crew approach is something that was to be tried this season in Northeastern Kentucky. There is no attempt to get rid of any crews or an attack on any person. Now, with that said, this does not mean that it will work in our part of the state. However, it does justify trying it and seeing if it works or not. At the end of the season, it will be evaluated and see if it provided better officiating or not.

To the one person that said their are only a few good cres and this just makes everyone bad, I take exception to. You have 8 crews of people that work long hours every year to prepare for a season to call these games. Do they get every single call right, no. Do they call everything exactly the way they the fans wanty, absolutely not. But all in all they do a good job. The very point that in the middle of the season, the fans have nothning better to discuss than if the crews are split or not, says something about the lacks of controversy.

Okay, off my soap box now. Have a great rest of the season.