X vs. Manual JV's

tabman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St. X. cruised to a 20-0 halftime advantage, and then coasted in for a 27-0 victory over the JV Rams. I hope you were right about Manual being loaded, because that makes the victory even sweeter. :ylsuper:

Manual cousins #1-3, are you ready to take my initial food and drink order? Manual cousins #4-16, get ready. I'll have more requests after the freshman and varsity games. :D :jump: :D

Manual loaded at JV???

I never pay much attention to Freshman and JV games because I usually expect them to be Manual losses when playing X or T.

Athletes don't go to Manual... they're made there.

Its interesting how some folks dismiss the importance of frosh/jv results. One of the reasons X and T are always successful is that they want to instill winning as a tradition from the get go. They don't wait until their kids become varsity and then hope they know how to win.

Its interesting how some folks dismiss the importance of frosh/jv results. One of the reasons X and T are always successful is that they want to instill winning as a tradition from the get go. They don't wait until their kids become varsity and then hope they know how to win.

Great point. I think that X and T have done a nice job of making every kid feel as if they are part of a "Friday Night". Even if that game is on a Monday or Thursday!!

Many coaches dismiss the importance of JV/Frosh and focus only on Friday nights.

Real easy to say that with more players and coaching resources than any other program in the state. I suggest you go coach at a public school and then tell me that it is just as easy to run a J.V. and Freshman program the way X and T do.

Manual's JV team "LOADED"? Please, I think that was a planted thread. The JV teams at Manual have been solid at times BUT never LOADED! While the main core of players are sophomore, there are a fair number of Freshmen playing JV as well. The Sophomore and Junior players who are good enough are already playing Varsity, and there are several Juniors who could play JV but are vital on Friday nights. Manual could take a lot of those players to the JV games, just to win, BUT that would be taking a risk that an "embattled?" Varsity coach should not take. If there was more depth at the starting spots, then yes, they should take all eligible JV players and win those games. I will agree that the importance of winning a JV game can be downplayed but it is vital to instilling that winning attitude and building confidence for the next year at Varsity levels. I will agree that taking these players to a JV game to win is easier with the added depth at X and T. That is not a jab at anyone.

Real easy to say that with more players and coaching resources than any other program in the state. I suggest you go coach at a public school and then tell me that it is just as easy to run a J.V. and Freshman program the way X and T do.

Is it the public school aspect, or is it the size of enrollment aspect. I would opt for the latter. Examples: Frosh and JV teams at Holy Cross and DeSales.

Is it the public school aspect, or is it the size of enrollment aspect. I would opt for the latter. Examples: Frosh and JV teams at Holy Cross and DeSales.
Point taken. I would also add that there is more football experiance in the J.V. and Feshman levels than most public schools. I think at public schools you have a lot more players begin football at the high school level than you do at the private levels.

Resources? These coaches are paid a mere pitance for coaching. Some of the JCPS offer thier kids bus rides home, direct to their door with activii=ties buses. We have kids catching TARC late.

Manual is the second oldest public high school in Jefferson County. If your alumni won't support you,. whose fault is that?

Point taken. I would also add that there is more football experiance in the J.V. and Feshman levels than most public schools. I think at public schools you have a lot more players begin football at the high school level than you do at the private levels.

I would certainly agree with this statement. The reason for it, at least in the Catholic private schools, is that they start playing football in the second grade. Granted it's only flag at that point, but the principles of the game start there and keep getting re-inforced every year.

My question is, and has been for years, "Why don't the Public Grade Schools and Middle Schools start playing football to develop more kids for the Public High Schools? They do it in Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball and whole host of other sports. Why not football?

Some one once answered my question with, "You don't understand, we just don't get that kind of support and volenteers to do that." I'm sorry, but I'm not drinking that cool-aid. What do you think happens at the Catholic grade schools? Our parents pay tuition to send their kids to school, then turn around an pay for their kid to play football and then many of them donate their time to help coach the team. It has to be developed.

Do these people think it just happened overnight? I have always been of the opinion that the Public Schools could be better than the Private Schools if they really wanted. JMHO, but I think there just isn't anyone willing to make the commitment to the importance of starting the Public School kids out at an early age to learn the game of football, like the Catholic Schools Athletic Association (CSAA) did 30 plus years ago. Again, JMHO, it's easier to sit back and wine about it than to make the commitment to do something about it.

Okay, I'll get of my soapbox now.

:thumb: Great Job JV Tigers! :thumb:

You guys have gotten hot. Keep it Roll'in!

Resources? These coaches are paid a mere pitance for coaching. Some of the JCPS offer thier kids bus rides home, direct to their door with activii=ties buses. We have kids catching TARC late.

Manual is the second oldest public high school in Jefferson County. If your alumni won't support you,. whose fault is that?

St X and T have larger coaching staffs than most public schools. That is what I meant by coaching resources.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say that school buses are taking football players home. That NEVER happened while I was at Manual, and many of the players took Tarc home as well.

I would certainly agree with this statement. The reason for it, at least in the Catholic private schools, is that they start playing football in the second grade. Granted it's only flag at that point, but the principles of the game start there and keep getting re-inforced every year.

My question is, and has been for years, "Why don't the Public Grade Schools and Middle Schools start playing football to develop more kids for the Public High Schools? They do it in Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball and whole host of other sports. Why not football?

Some one once answered my question with, "You don't understand, we just don't get that kind of support and volenteers to do that." I'm sorry, but I'm not drinking that cool-aid. What do you think happens at the Catholic grade schools? Our parents pay tuition to send their kids to school, then turn around an pay for their kid to play football and then many of them donate their time to help coach the team. It has to be developed.

Do these people think it just happened overnight? I have always been of the opinion that the Public Schools could be better than the Private Schools if they really wanted. JMHO, but I think there just isn't anyone willing to make the commitment to the importance of starting the Public School kids out at an early age to learn the game of football, like the Catholic Schools Athletic Association (CSAA) did 30 plus years ago. Again, JMHO, it's easier to sit back and wine about it than to make the commitment to do something about it.

Okay, I'll get of my soapbox now.

:thumb: Great Job JV Tigers! :thumb:

You guys have gotten hot. Keep it Roll'in!

Again, the resources made available for this to even happen are not there. That is not the fault of the alumnus or parents, coaches, etc. This is just the fact. The Board of Education spends alot of money on the education of students who cannot even afford their own lunch. There is a very different set of problems that face the elementary and middle schools just having a football program started. The coaching staff would probably have to be volunteer because there would be very little money in the system to pay any of them. I won't even start to try and explain that any necessary equipment to even field a team could not be bought. You can probably remember a time when neighborhood kids played for the Firefighters League or Okolona or even Cabbage Patch. Some of the teams benefited from those kids staying at their neighborhood schools and playing together all through high school.

This is not a major issue for a school system trying to get some of it's schools to meet goals in the classroom.

"The coaching staff would probably have to be volunteer because there would be very little money in the system to pay any of them."

You really think the Catholic grade school system coaches are anything but "volunteers"? I'm not aware of any grade school coaches that are paid. Middle school football does exist in many public schools in Kentucky outside of Jefferson County. These largely rural communities are not rolling in dough. It can be done. It would take some leadership, work, fundraising etc..but it's being done. Somebody grabbed the bull by the horns in Jefferson County and started a middle school baseball program for the first time in forever.