NAIA scholarships

Hasbeen

Originally posted by nWo

I have a question. What is the difference between the NAIA and the NCAA?

As far as i know just different governing bodies. Did you know if you sign with and NAIA school you can back out and sign with an NCAA school? I found that interesting, although since they are different it doesnt make sense.

Originally posted by NHS BIG DADDY

As far as i know just different governing bodies. Did you know if you sign with and NAIA school you can back out and sign with an NCAA school? I found that interesting, although since they are different it doesnt make sense.

No, I didn't know that. That is interesting. Thanks.

RBM -

Don't know about those actual numbers off hand, but I will get them for you.

nWo-

NAIA is National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, NCAA is National Collegiate Athletic Association. Separate leagues, and more importantly, separate governing bodies. NAIA coaches can call and meet with prospective HS student-athletes darn near anytime. NCAA coaches have much stricter rules to follow. NAIA has a DI and DII just like NCAA, but they do not have a DIII. Both NAIA DI and DII have athletic scholarships available, but NAIA DI has more, just like NCAA DI has more then DII.

In addition to what NHS Big Daddy stated, kids can also transfer from NCAA to NAIA (and vice versa), in many cases without penalty.

Originally posted by National Scouting Report

RBM -

nWo-

NAIA is National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, NCAA is National Collegiate Athletic Association. Separate leagues, and more importantly, separate governing bodies. NAIA coaches can call and meet with prospective HS student-athletes darn near anytime. NCAA coaches have much stricter rules to follow. NAIA has a DI and DII just like NCAA, but they do not have a DIII. Both NAIA DI and DII have athletic scholarships available, but NAIA DI has more, just like NCAA DI has more then DII.

In addition to what NHS Big Daddy stated, kids can also transfer from NCAA to NAIA (and vice versa), in many cases without penalty.

I was under the impression that if a kid transfers up a level he is going to penalized a yr. This being from NAIA to NCAA, but if you transfer down then you won't lose a yr.

Transferring from NAIA to NCAA is not transferring "up," since they have separate affiliations. There are some rules, however, many of which have exceptions. Last year, I helped an NAIA girls basketball player transfer, and several NCAA DII were looking at her, and she would have been able to play right away. She ended up at another NAIA school. I also helped an NCAA DI softball player transfer from the team she was playing for as a freshman. She was NOT a scholarship player, got a "permission to contact" release from her coach, and ended up at another DI school (in Florida). She did not have to sit out at all.

FYI...NAIA DI schools - when fully funded - have 11 basketball scholarships they can offer. NAIA DII schools have 6. I would guess that MOST NAIA schools are not fully funded, meaning they really won't have that many athletic scholarships to give.

Originally posted by National Scouting Report

RBM -

nWo-

Thanks, I always thought that they were affiliated with each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I played NAIA D-1 basketball, and going into my freshman year, i was on a full ride. However, it was part athletic and part academic. I screwed around and had a D at the end of my second semester, which knocked me out of my academic money. Thank goodness coach picked up the rest with athletic money, or i could have been out in the cold...

for the next 3 years, i was on full athletic scholarship....

if a player wants to play, and HAS THE GRADES AND ACT SCORE....there will be money available.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like in the NCAA, some NAIA schools have more money to give than others and it greatly depends on the sport. I was familiar with a Ballard senior last year who was offered a full scholarship half athletic/half academic to play baseball at NAIA Concordia University in Michigan. He did not take the offer and is on a partial scholarship at an NCAA school in Florida where he doesn't get nearly as much money. I think the NAIA is a good route for high school athletes to take, yet several including this case, don't even consider schools that are not NCAA.