Mason Co. vs. Lewis Co.

The Mad Stork

Who will win this game?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this game?

• Lewis County
    • Mason County

Mason should roll. Coach B will substitute liberally when and if the game is in hand. Should be a chance for JV, freshmen to get some valuable playing time. And the Lions will play as hard as they can.

But you still have to play the games, and there's no such thing as a guaranteed win. Just ask Lloyd Carr.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean that Coach Buchanan will not play the starters all the way until the last gun to get valuable reps versus Lewis Co.? Sorry I was being sarcastic(inside joke for mcpapa). I look for Lewis to come out and play football like any other football team would. Royals need to stay focused and players need to build on what we have. PLAY EVERY PLAY whistle to whistle while you are in. I KNOW Coach Buchanan and the Royals respect their opponents and Coach B knows when the white flag goes up NOT to go for the jugular. RESPECT your opponent..................Great concept Coach B!!!!! :thumb:

^ I'm assuming that the valuable reps will be distributed among those to whom Coach B feels will gain the most from them.:thumb:

I know that Lewis County's numbers have dropped quite a bit. Anyone have insight as to why? I know that there a couple of BGPers that are fairly close to the Lions' program. Competition with other fall sports? Lack of community support? It's been suggested that, similar to Rowan County in recent years, that LC should think about dropping district play for a while. Does that make sense?

^ I'm assuming that the valuable reps will be distributed among those to whom Coach B feels will gain the most from them.:thumb:

I know that Lewis County's numbers have dropped quite a bit. Anyone have insight as to why? I know that there a couple of BGPers that are fairly close to the Lions' program. Competition with other fall sports? Lack of community support? It's been suggested that, similar to Rowan County in recent years, that LC should think about dropping district play for a while. Does that make sense?

I am not bashing Lewis Co. To me, an outsider, looking in, it seems to me that they may be better served to just play a JV schedule for a few years and build up the program. I do not know what has caused their numbers to drop so severally, but they have, something like, 25 players dressing, they do not have the personnel or numbers to compete with a varsity team. I would think this is causing some perspective players to not play. Perhaps, is they played a competitive JV schedule they could boost the numbers and gain some valuable experience for the freshmen and sophomores, and hopefully get the varsity program back on track. Unless, they have some freshmen not dressing varsity, I do not see how they are play any JV games at all.

There are several problems at Lewis that isn't visible to everyone. Issues that shouldn't be discussed on this board. However, Coach Brandon Combs is doing his best with what he has. I hope that Lewis can get things turned around some day if they can overcome the obstacles that has plagued the community, school and football team. Good luck to them on Friday and the rest of the season.

The County has never really healed from all the turmoil that consolidation brought. The biggest problem with the varsity team is that there is a less than effective feeder system in place. Every great program has a great junior football league. At some point the Lewis Co jfl program has to come together and get on the same page for the future of the varsity program. JMO

The County has never really healed from all the turmoil that consolidation brought. The biggest problem with the varsity team is that there is a less than effective feeder system in place. Every great program has a great junior football league. At some point the Lewis Co jfl program has to come together and get on the same page for the future of the varsity program. JMO

I wondered if that was an issue.

Good luck to both teams and here's hoping that everyone stays healthy.

You hit the nail on the head on two issues.

Not helping things is being put in the same district/class as Mason,Russell, the Carters and Fleming. Kids and parents see this as a no win situation and the kids/athletes won't go out for football. Bracken was in the same situation(only to the extreme) when they were lumped with Beechwood, NCC,etc. Can't understand why schools that don't have the numbers year in and year out don't stay independent

In 1996, my first trip to Lewis County, they were in the middle of a losing streak, but our halftime score was 6-0. Corky Prater's teams always played us tough. Brandon Combs is doing a great job installing a system the kids at Lewis can hang their hat on as their system for winning.

We did something similar here at Mason- we made our kids think we had a brand of football unlike anyone else that would allow us to win games we shouldn't. When we beat a quality opponent one night and we had only rushed for 26 yards, the kids thought we had found something.

In 97, on a Thursday, I thought the wheels had come off our program at Mason. I thought it was over. The next night we beat Russell for the first time.

Lewis may be alot better and alot closer to being a good team than people think. We respect them and what they are trying to do.

The best part is that the kids(Mason & Lewis) get to play a football game on Friday. Some of us will be closer to the white lines than others, but those of us that are adults will have to watch while the kids have all the fun. Good for the kids!:thumb:

As always, very well said! Mason County's program is in great hands and I believe Lewis County is as well! Hopefully they'll see results soon for all the hard work they're putting in.

If I am not mistaken Lewis dropped out of the playoff system about 8-10 years ago and played an independent varsity/jv schedule. Last I heard Lewis doesn't have soccer, so that is not why kids are coming out for football, I don't know the answer.