Prop 2 rebuked by legislative committee

All Tell

If this is true, there is a solution. Make the transfer rules apply to any student that plays high school sport, at any grade, at any level. I can understand the frustration of a coach that sees a player transfer after the eighth grade. If the kids choose to play high school sports while in middle school, they should expect the high school rules to apply to them. I would also favor applying the rules to kids that play on a high school team at any level, freshman, JV or varsity.

Its true, trust me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW

And for a man who wants to think that his opinion matters Senator Shaughnassey is not a FORMER graduate of St. X., he is a FORMER student and graduate of St. X. Once a person has graduated he/she can never be a former graduate.

It will be dead on arrival to the State Board each time it happens. A complete waste of time.
As it should be.

I would hope the state's ADs wouldn't waste valuable time and resources on another separation proposal, but it won't surprise me if it pops up on the ballot again.

An editorial from Somerset:

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/localsports/local_story_228084925.html?keyword=topstory

Some of the quotes:

But even that weak, ‘private school biased’ proposal was shot down by a Kentucky legislative subcommittee that was spearheaded by two ‘private school pom pom carrying’ state senators.

...it is a bipartisan issue based on what school colors our state senators are wearing underneath their custom tailored suits and starched white shirts.

In my opinion, they are saying that private schools are better than public schools and they have enough power to keep it that way forever.

That is a poorly thought out editorial. The author has very little understanding of the big picture.

If this article/editorial was written by a product of the Somerset school system, Mr Sears concern about athletics should be way down his priority list.

Can someone please tell me what private school has him so upset. I am not aware of a private school in that area.

Some more reaction:

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/opinion/local_story_228170240.html

From the article:

"That, combined with the ability to give scholarships, are the two most severe differences between the privates and the publics when it comes to athletics.

A private school can stop a kid who lives a block away from enrolling and, without territorial restrictions, can give a scholarship to a kid who lives in the next county to help them afford the tuition.

"

"I agree with the private school supporters that the penalty aspect of Proposal 2 unduly affects students. That’s why it should never have been attached to the proposal."

"The regulation already exists at the high school level; Proposal 2 would have extended it to middle school, Ellis wrote."

"At present, the KHSAA can enforce rules, but it doesn’t have an arm dedicated to investigating rules violations. It seems silly to empower an agency with regulating and governing high school athletics, and not give it the power to investigate and police its constituents."

Overall the author is anti-proposal 2. But the bolded sections above point to two key misconceptions that are propogated in the article - 1) athletic scholarships and 2) that Prop 2 is just taking the current transfer rules and taking it down to the Middle School level.