Beating the Heat

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Doesn't that present a real transportation problem. The Players that are driving would be no problem, but the ones that do not drive could have a problem where the parents have to be at work or have other small children at home to tend to. Has Nelson and other schools had a problem with this earley practice?...

The dedicated players will find a way to get to and from practice. It's part of making a commitment to a team.

What I was referring to is the kids not being ready to handle the temps. I couldn't care less about the loss. What I am worried about is the kids remaining health. After Ryan died last year the team was forced to practiced in the gym the majority of the days leading up to their first game. The night of the first game it was about 95 degrees. One of the starters didn't see the field in the second half due to dehydration and cramping and had to be taken to the hospital after the game for IV, 3 others saw very little time in the second half, one player was throwing up on the field during an extra point attempt. It is one thing to move in doors in extra heat but these kids have to be adjusted to the heat to a point in order to be prepared for it.

Properly monitored per the rule as I read it, if it is 95 degrees heat index, it will be difficult to play the game, period. 95-99 all of the players not in the game must remove equipment. this heat index program doesn't just apply to practice. So if this weather were to continue, there would be some postponed games.

Properly monitored per the rule as I read it, if it is 95 degrees heat index, it will be difficult to play the game, period. 95-99 all of the players not in the game must remove equipment. this heat index program doesn't just apply to practice. So if this weather were to continue, there would be some postponed games.

A heat index of 95-99 still allows the game to be played, particularly scrimmages. You would have to provide 10 minute mandatory water breaks every 30 minutes and those not participating at the moment would take off helmets. Of course, you would need to watch all players carefully. Our team usually has so many quarters for varsity and so many quarters for JV. You could rotate this and whatever group is not playing, those kids could take off shoulder pads, too. You can also provide ice towels for when the kids come out of the game.

95-99 heat index is not the problem. As long as water breaks are observed, ice towels are on hand and players are allowed an opportunity to take helmets/and or shoulder pads off when not playing, scrimmages can continue. Also, when most of the scrimmages are being played (7 p.m. or a little later), the indeices have been decreasing.

The problem could be potentially today and tomorrow. They are calling for tempretures above 100 degrees with high humidity. If the temp and humidity do not decrease significantly by 7 p.m., late practices could be affected.

Heat is not something you mess with. All teams take proper precautions and preach hydration. Once the heat index gets above 100, it is very tough to have an effective practice. Obviously, at 104 teams will be required to stop.

95-99 heat index is not the problem. As long as water breaks are observed, ice towels are on hand and players are allowed an opportunity to take helmets/and or shoulder pads off when not playing, scrimmages can continue. Also, when most of the scrimmages are being played (7 p.m. or a little later), the indeices have been decreasing.

The problem could be potentially today and tomorrow. They are calling for tempretures above 100 degrees with high humidity. If the temp and humidity do not decrease significantly by 7 p.m., late practices could be affected.

Heat is not something you mess with. All teams take proper precautions and preach hydration. Once the heat index gets above 100, it is very tough to have an effective practice. Obviously, at 104 teams will be required to stop.

High indexes tonight won't affect the Birds. They don't practice on Wednesday evenings because of church related activities traditionally held on Wednesday evenings. One more thing I like about Dale.