Beating the Heat

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under 95 degrees heat index

Provide ample amounts of water. This means that water should always be available and athletes should be able to take in

as much water as they desire. Optional water breaks every 30 minutes for 10 minutes in duration. Ice-down towels for

cooling . Watch/monitor athletes carefully for necessary action.

95 degrees to 99 degrees heat index

Provide ample amounts of water. This means that water should always be available and athletes should be able to take in

as much water as they desire. Mandatory water breaks every 30 minutes for 10 minutes in duration. Ice-down towels for

cooling. Watch/monitor athletes carefully for necessary action. Contact sports and activities with additional equipment.

Helmets and other possible equipment removed if not involved in contact. Reduce time of outside activity. Consider

postponing practice to later in the day. Re-check temperature and humidity every 30 minutes to monitor for increased heat index

100 degrees to 104 degrees Heat Index

All sports - Provide ample amounts of water. This means that water should always be available and athletes should be able

to take in as much water as they desire. Mandatory water breaks every 30 minutes for 10 minutes in duration. Ice-down

towels for cooling. Watch/monitor athletes carefully for necessary action. Alter uniform by removing items if possible.

Allow for changes to dry t-shirts and shorts. Reduce time of outside activity as well as indoor activity if air conditioning is

unavailable. Postpone practice to later in day.

Contact sports and activities with additional equipment. Helmets and other possible equipment removed if not involved in

contact or necessary for safety. If necessary for safety, suspend activity. Re-check temperature and humidity every 30

minutes to monitor for increased Heat Index

Above 104 degrees Heat Index

Stop all outside activity in practice and/or play, and stop all inside activity if air conditioning is unavailable.

Should've said, considering the possible alternative...

Referencing the tragedy last season. I'm guessing they'll take a couple of more losses to ensure everyone remains healthy...

What I was referring to is the kids not being ready to handle the temps. I couldn't care less about the loss. What I am worried about is the kids remaining health. After Ryan died last year the team was forced to practiced in the gym the majority of the days leading up to their first game. The night of the first game it was about 95 degrees. One of the starters didn't see the field in the second half due to dehydration and cramping and had to be taken to the hospital after the game for IV, 3 others saw very little time in the second half, one player was throwing up on the field during an extra point attempt. It is one thing to move in doors in extra heat but these kids have to be adjusted to the heat to a point in order to be prepared for it.

What I was referring to is the kids not being ready to handle the temps. I couldn't care less about the loss. What I am worried about is the kids remaining health. After Ryan died last year the team was forced to practiced in the gym the majority of the days leading up to their first game. The night of the first game it was about 95 degrees. One of the starters didn't see the field in the second half due to dehydration and cramping and had to be taken to the hospital after the game for IV, 3 others saw very little time in the second half, one player was throwing up on the field during an extra point attempt. It is one thing to move in doors in extra heat but these kids have to be adjusted to the heat to a point in order to be prepared for it.

Great points...if the game is going to be played outdoors in the heat, then kids have to slowly get their bodies adjusted to it or they will become sick when they are thrown into it. That is not in refererence to any team that occassionally practices indoor due to the heat or changes times of practice some, but to any team that might avoid it (heat) altogether.

Agreed. I thought you were equating this to strictly wins/losses...

This year Henderson has setup cooling tents with misting fans for players to use during water breaks. They also give 10 min water breaks every 30 mins no matter what the temps are. Everyone is gun shy after last year so they have put in a few other procedures to help. That said I am not saying I disagree with what they are doing but in no way will these kids be ready to play come August 24th when the temps will most likely be 95 at game time.

When this happens, notify the KHSAA as the same guidelines apply to games as they do to practices. If the heat index is over 104, ALL outdoor activity is suspended. With not being able to play football without the pads, a heat index over 99 also requires the suspension of football games.

When this happens, notify the KHSAA as the same guidelines apply to games as they do to practices. If the heat index is over 104, ALL outdoor activity is suspended. With not being able to play football without the pads, a heat index over 99 also requires the suspension of football games.

I am not saying shouldn't be playing the game due to it being too hot. I am saying their bodies weren't ready for that heat due to having to practice inside. Plue the game in question was being played in Indiana and I don't know what their regulation are.

They are calling for heat index around 105 for most of the week here.

Around our area they are calling for heat index at or above 100 all this week. Wednesday they are projecting it to be at approx. 115!!

I am not sure on what time that Raceland is going but I would go as early as 5am in the mornings and 7:30 - 8:00 in the evenings. That is just what I would do. I think that Racland still takes one day inside regardless.

but in no way will these kids be ready to play come August 24th when the temps will most likely be 95 at game time.

We sure weren't ready for Castle last season, the hottest football game i ever worked, bar none! The team practiced just about the entire preseason indoors & wilted at halftime after leading by 13. Lost by 20 something! Henderson Co is also weighing kids before & after practice to check water loss.