Bellevue Vets existence in Jeopardy?

h.s.footballfan

They wouldn't be the first such organization to fall to development and they won't be the last. Is there a listing of the 13 options with pros and cons? Would be interesting to review.

Try this 75.http://www.471project.org/

Having also grown up there and playing ball as a kid 40 years ago and than watching both my kids play there this is truly a historical place.I wonder if the former mayor could get this placed on the historical property list that this would all go away?:irked:

Try this 75.http://www.471project.org/

Having also grown up there and playing ball as a kid 40 years ago and than watching both my kids play there this is truly a historical place.I wonder if the former mayor could get this placed on the historical property list that this would all go away?:irked:

I think it already is isn't it?

There is one of those ugly green plaques out front.

Just received this email. It looks like state wants to modify 47-1/Ky 8. I grew up playing ball there, as im sure a lot of people from Nky did. It will be a sad day if this actually happens.

"The I-471/KY-8 “Interchange Modification Project” is entering its final stages. Out of the 13 final scenarios, 12 of them impact the Vets.

2 of them impact the Vets to the point that they jeopardize our very existence.

One of the consulting engineers on the project, when told that his plans might take

two of our ballfields was quoted as saying, "well, they're only

ballfields.""

http://www.bellevuevets.com/

I'm assuming, he meant not occupied, businesses or homes. Any time I hear of ball fields being replaced, with concrete and steel for infrastructure, I'm saddened. Seems the options to young people any more, are getting less and less. The days of sandlot, neighborhood parks and places to get together for games, are being replaced by housing, duplexes, shopping plazas or roads.

While infrastructure is vital to economic growth, so are the young people and the availability of recreation. Now the options are HS fields, colleges, camps and showcases, which all cost money or aren't available to the public.

Seems more and more, being outside for our youth, is being replaced with video games, I-Pods and cell phones....instead of expanding the opportunities available.

Hopefully something can be worked out, for this area so the sound of baseball, kids playing, families gathering and smiles, don't get replaced by car fumes.

Hope this doesn't come across too harsh or crass, but since this issue affects economic development (a major focus of mine), I felt the need to weigh in.

Are people assuming that the ball fields would be removed and not replaced? And yes I do realize that there may not be a lot of options to move the fields to, but unless there are none, then I think the Vet facility option for alleviating the 471 problem has to stay on the table. But before people sign petitions and close their minds, they need to look at the big picture.

And folks make no mistake about it, the current exit ramp situation is DANGEROUS. I cross that bridge every night coming home from work and it is a very dangerous situation that is going to get worse because of the ongoing and further development headed to northern Campbell County. People like to harp against development until they get their tax bills or until they need to fill up their gas tanks every week because the jobs are 30 minutes away. Trust me, Campbell County needs all the development it can get to increase the revenues to keep the tax rates as low as possible and attract decent jobs. And the current ramp situation is an impediment to further development along Newport's, Bellevue's and Dayton's riverfront development. It is at the saturation point and the planned and in progress office and condo developments are going to make it worse (the widening of 6th street through Bellevue and Dayton is going to need to be addressed soon also and that will stimulate another emotional reaction from people).

If we want to have low taxes and more importantly we want to have decent jobs in Campbell County for our children and grandchildren, we are going to have to accept development and the baggage it brings with it. We'd probably all like to never have to deal with a traffic jam or to deal with stop lights. We'd probably all like to live in a pristine, rural area. But folks, the jobs are where the development is located. N. Ky became the economic and job producing engine that it is because we were willing to accept the baggage that it brought with it. And its no wonder that Boone County has lead the way in creating those jobs because they had the road system and access to 75 in place (the Airport also helped). 471 and 275 are Campbell County's closest equivalent to Boone County's 75 and we have to do every thing reasonable to make it as access friendly as is possible or Campbell County will remain the economic weak sister of the three N. Ky counties. Remaining a bed room county with all the payroll taxes going to Boone and Kenton County or to Hamilton County (along with the sales taxes going to the State of Ohio) just is not a long term economically viable plan.

While I understand the sentimentality of keeping the ball fields there, sentimentility is by passed all the time in the sake of improvement. Every new football field built in this state by passes sentimentality for improving facilities. Several years ago when the plan was discussed about moving Highlands football field to the Fort to make the land available to expand Highlands school building, I was not a happy camper. But I understood the need to improve our academic facilities. If that was the best option, I was prepared to accept it. Fortunately, a different option, a better option, was found.

If the Vets property is determined to be the best option to alleviate the 471 ramp (which decision will not be made lightly I can assure you), then we should accept it and not let sentimentality rule the day. Make decisions with your brain, not your heart and you'll come out way ahead.

Sorry if I offended any one with this post, but I felt it needed to be "said".

Hope this doesn't come across too harsh or crass, but since this issue affects economic development (a major focus of mine), I felt the need to weigh in.

Are people assuming that the ball fields would be removed and not replaced? And yes I do realize that there may not be a lot of options to move the fields to, but unless there are none, then I think the Vet facility option for alleviating the 471 problem has to stay on the table. But before people sign petitions and close their minds, they need to look at the big picture.

And folks make no mistake about it, the current exit ramp situation is DANGEROUS. I cross that bridge every night coming home from work and it is a very dangerous situation that is going to get worse because of the ongoing and further development headed to northern Campbell County. People like to harp against development until they get their tax bills or until they need to fill up their gas tanks every week because the jobs are 30 minutes away. Trust me, Campbell County needs all the development it can get to increase the revenues to keep the tax rates as low as possible and attract decent jobs. And the current ramp situation is an impediment to further development along Newport's, Bellevue's and Dayton's riverfront development. It is at the saturation point and the planned and in progress office and condo developments are going to make it worse (the widening of 6th street through Bellevue and Dayton is going to need to be addressed soon also and that will stimulate another emotional reaction from people).

If we want to have low taxes and more importantly we want to have decent jobs in Campbell County for our children and grandchildren, we are going to have to accept development and the baggage it brings with it. We'd probably all like to never have to deal with a traffic jam or to deal with stop lights. We'd probably all like to live in a pristine, rural area. But folks, the jobs are where the development is located. N. Ky became the economic and job producing engine that it is because we were willing to accept the baggage that it brought with it. And its no wonder that Boone County has lead the way in creating those jobs because they had the road system and access to 75 in place (the Airport also helped). 471 and 275 are Campbell County's closest equivalent to Boone County's 75 and we have to do every thing reasonable to make it as access friendly as is possible or Campbell County will remain the economic weak sister of the three N. Ky counties. Remaining a bed room county with all the payroll taxes going to Boone and Kenton County or to Hamilton County (along with the sales taxes going to the State of Ohio) just is not a long term economically viable plan.

While I understand the sentimentality of keeping the ball fields there, sentimentility is by passed all the time in the sake of improvement. Every new football field built in this state by passes sentimentality for improving facilities. Several years ago when the plan was discussed about moving Highlands football field to the Fort to make the land available to expand Highlands school building, I was not a happy camper. But I understood the need to improve our academic facilities. If that was the best option, I was prepared to accept it. Fortunately, a different option, a better option, was found.

If the Vets property is determined to be the best option to alleviate the 471 ramp (which decision will not be made lightly I can assure you), then we should accept it and not let sentimentality rule the day. Make decisions with your brain, not your heart and you'll come out way ahead.

I see your point, but if everyone thought like this, we would not have any historic buildings or monuments left. Lets knock the old Fort down and put in some condos! ;)

Im for improving the exit ramp(i see they have already added another lane towards the end of the ramp and that helps) but i think they need to use the other options before taking away ball fields for the kids.

I see your point, but if everyone thought like this, we would not have any historic buildings or monuments left. Lets knock the old Fort down and put in some condos! ;)

Im for improving the exit ramp(i see they have already added another lane towards the end of the ramp and that helps) but i think they need to use the other options before taking away ball fields for the kids.

I agree something needs to be done. No doubt. There is NO more room in Bellevue to put them. If they are taken away by this project they will not be back somewhere else.

I understand the point you are trying to make, and I get it. I wonder though if you would say the same thing if 471 went right through Ft. Thomas and we need new exits right on top of Highlands football field?

It's just a field and can be relocated.

In response to your and 98's post, as I attempted to make clear, but obviously didn't, I'm not in favor of lightly taking away the ball fields and would only support same if it was the best option by a long way. But I'm not in favor of taking the option off the table just because of the sentimental aspect of it. If the ball fields can be replaced, hopefully in Bellevue but if not, some place close, and it is the best option for relocating the ramp, then in my opinion, it has to happen.

As for 98's question, if the ramps had to go through Highlands football field and if that was by far the best way to alleviate a safety issue and promote economic development, then while I might be saddened by it, I'd have to support it. Highlands tradition is much, much more than just where we've played the game for so many years. Obviously the folks at X in Louisville understand that, as they have given up the tradition of playing at Manual's field in favor of puting in their own facility. Furthermore, as mentioned in my prior post, I would have supported the relocation of the field if it was necessary to re-configure the school buildings. Public good is public good, so I believe I'd support the re-location of the field for the 471 ramp if that's where the ramp needed to go. And I belong to a family that can match its football tradition at Highlands with any family in Ft. Thomas.

I don't agree that my thinking will result in the demolition of every historical building or monument. I think we do need to try to protect our heritage and history, but there comes times when we do need to be pragmatic about our decision making.

Again, I'm not saying the 471 ramp needs to go through the Vets fields, but I am saying you don't remove it as an option at this point either.