Craig Biggio, 1st ballot?

With Biggio retiring, I found myself asking, is he the most underrated player of All-Time??? I would have to believe so, definitely of our generation. He played three different positions (catcher, second, and center field) very well. His stats are very good. Yet, he was always overshadowed by Bagwell. I don't remember him even getting 3rd in an MVP ballot, that was the same argument people were making against Palmeiro before his positive steroid test. I believe that Biggio is a sure fire Hall-of-Famer. What says you?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had this conversation between 6 months and 12 months ago and my stance hasn't changed -- he is a first ballot Hall-of-Famer IMHO. I don't think it'll be close.

Great player, great versatitlity, high level of play at all 3 positions, and a great guy with a squeaky clean image.

I think he's a hall of famer but if you look at his stats in 20 seasons he has only hit .300 in 4 years. The last 3 years he has a .273BA in the leadoff spot and has a .282BA for his career. That's a low average for someone who has over 3,000 hits. But nonetheless he's a HOF'er.

He is in without a doubt.

PLus I don't understand 1st ballot or not. If a player is a HOFer than he should be in when he is eligible. I know some players after a while get in and that is understandable but when a player has 3000 hits or 300 wins that is automatic.

He's got to be a first ballot HOFer. Here's his accomplishments so far:

7 Time All Star

4 Time Gold Glove Award Winner at 2nd Base

5 Time Silver Slugger Award Winner 1 at Catcher 4 at 2nd Base

21st all time in Games Played

13th all time in At Bats

12th all time in Plate Appearances

14th all time in Runs Scored

24th all time in Hits

31st all time in Total Bases

6th all time in Doubles

56th all time in Walks

61st all time in Stolen Bases

27th all time in Extra-Base Hits

19th all time in Times on Base

2nd all time in Hit By Pitch

All of this while playing mostly Catcher and Second Base, two tradionally defensive minded positions. Some of those ranking are due to longetivity but the hits, runs, doubles and extra base hits are very impressive for a catcher/second baseman.

He's got to be a first ballot HOFer. Here's his accomplishments so far:

7 Time All Star

4 Time Gold Glove Award Winner at 2nd Base

5 Time Silver Slugger Award Winner 1 at Catcher 4 at 2nd Base

21st all time in Games Played

13th all time in At Bats

12th all time in Plate Appearances

14th all time in Runs Scored

24th all time in Hits

31st all time in Total Bases

6th all time in Doubles

56th all time in Walks

61st all time in Stolen Bases

27th all time in Extra-Base Hits

19th all time in Times on Base

2nd all time in Hit By Pitch

All of this while playing mostly Catcher and Second Base, two tradionally defensive minded positions. Some of those ranking are due to longetivity but the hits, runs, doubles and extra base hits are very impressive for a catcher/second baseman.

Your list is the reason(s) he will be a HOFer.

I just think that his lack of dominance will keep him from being a first-ballot HOFer. If he does get in on the first ballot, it will have more to do with him switching positions and having success than strictly his offensive numbers.

IMO he should be a 1st ballot H.O.F.. I am not sure that he will be, just a feeling I get, it would be a shame if he was not a 1st ballot entry.

I would argue that the whole concept of "first ballot or not" is ridiculous.

You're either a HOFer or you're not. Period.

I truly believe that the HOF would be much smaller if the vote was truly based on being a HOFer or not. There are guys getting in now simply based on the lack of other top-notch first-time-on-the-ballot nominees in a given year.

^ So are you saying Biggio doesn't deserve to be in?

Based on what type of voting?

If we're using today's method of voting many times over many years where we have true first-timers and then make others wait, yes.

If we're saying is he among the "elite of the elite" then no.

It simply depends on your view of what type of player should be in the HOF and what voting rules you're willing to live with.