U.K. schoolgirl loses ‘virginity ring’ court battle

Which Side do you agree with  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Side do you agree with

• The Girl
    • The School
    • Neither

Was it "Christians looking for a fight" when the Crucifix exception was made? Was it "Muslims looking for a fight" when they took their concerns before the court?

I fully understand the concept of subjectivity and how the courts (both here and abroad) have to make very subjective decisions. However, I also have the right to disagree with those decisions which is what I am currently doing. The basis of my argument is the court's determination of what is "integral" and what is not. The girl's belief that having sex outside of marriage to be immoral is based on scripture as referenced in the article. The Bible is an "integral" part of the Christian religion I would argue. Therefore, a ring symbolizing a belief that is rooted in scripture could be considered to be "integral" imo.

As far as your question about a ring "now" being a Christian symbol, why not? If the Crucifix is symbolic of Christ's suffering why can't a ring be symbolic of Christian sexual morality?

I have no idea of how the appeals process works in the U.K., but according to the article, the girl is consulting with her legal team to consider an appeal.

Let me re-read my posts and see where I said you weren't allowed to have an opinion or to disagree with another opinion........................ Cant find it.

So, lets take your belief to the point of exaggeration to show why IMO it is not logical.

You say that a ring should be accepted because its potentially a symbol of sexual morality. I then say, as I mentioned previously, that I believe baggy jeans with holes in them are a symbol of the oppression Christians faced a long time ago or it symbolizes those in poverty that the Lord told us to care for. So now, in your argument, we've got one girl wearing a ring against school orders and a dude wearing baggy ratty jeans against the dress code all in the name of Christianity. Should the court support the jeans?

The court has used logic. The Christian world does not , as a whole, view a ring as a Christian symbol. The cross is a different story and the court has allowed that.

The court is not saying the girl cannot believe in sexual morality . They're saying the ring is not a recognized Christian symbol like the cross is. Its an easy decision for them to make , again, in my opinion.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me re-read my posts and see where I said you weren't allowed to have an opinion or to disagree with another opinion........................ Cant find it.

The reason you can't find it is that you didn't say it. Further, I didn't say you said it. I was referring to the fact that although the matter at hand IS subjective, I still have a valid argument concerning my disagreement with the court's decision. Perhaps, the wording was misleading.

So, lets take your belief to the point of exaggeration to show why IMO it is not logical.

You say that a ring should be accepted because its potentially a symbol of sexual morality. I then say, as I mentioned previously, that I believe baggy jeans with holes in them are a symbol of the oppression Christians faced a long time ago or it symbolizes those in poverty that the Lord told us to care for. So now, in your argument, we've got one girl wearing a ring against school orders and a dude wearing baggy ratty jeans against the dress code all in the name of Christianity. Should the court support the jeans?

As previously discussed, this case is very subjective. That being said, I think it is a much stronger argument to claim the wearing of a ring (jewelry, just as Crucifix is jewelry) as a symbolic gesture than the wearing of "baggy jeans with holes in them" as a symbolic gesture. You can find many references to jewelry in scripture. I have yet to find any mention of "baggy jeans with holes in them". Now, Holy jeans, that's a different matter altogether.

Ezekiel 16

I adorned you with jewelry: I put bracelets on your arms and a necklace around your neck, and I put a ring on your nose, earrings on your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was fine flour, honey and olive oil. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen. And your fame spread among the nations on account of your beauty, because the splendor I had given you made your beauty perfect, declares the Sovereign LORD.

As previously discussed, this case is very subjective. That being said, I think it is a much stronger argument to claim the wearing of a ring (jewelry, just as Crucifix is jewelry) as a symbolic gesture than the wearing of "baggy jeans with holes in them" as a symbolic gesture. You can find many references to jewelry in scripture. I have yet to find any mention of "baggy jeans with holes in them". Now, Holy jeans, that's a different matter altogether.

A student wants to wear a robe with a rope around his waist. Should the school allow it?

A student wants to wear a robe with a rope around his waist. Should the school allow it?

Only if the student agrees to wear underwear.

Seriously though, I understand where you are going with this and I understand your approach.......rings, then robes, then loin clothes, then birthday suit.............................etc etc.

The courts created the "slippery slope" when the previous allowances were ruled acceptable (Crucifix, etc). I don't know how far down the slippery slope this issue should go. Nobody does. However, imo the ring doesn't cross the line as stated in multiple previous posts. Of course "the line" in and of itself is subjective.

Any nation that recognizes the right to religious expression (such as the U.S. and the U.K. nations) will face issues when that right conflicts with policies that are potentially at odds with those rights. You agree with the court's ruling. I don't. In the end, it's all a matter of opinion.

I agree with the girl, but because I think a ban on jewelry in school is stupid. If they ban religous symbols and everyone has to do the same thing I don't think that Christians should recieve any benifits not efforded to other religions. But that said I think that all religions including Christianity should be allowed to express themselves in a simple decreit way that does not present a security risk, or a distraction to others. IE stickers, patches, jewelery that is subtle

The court has used logic. The Christian world does not , as a whole, view a ring as a Christian symbol. The cross is a different story and the court has allowed that.

The court is not saying the girl cannot believe in sexual morality . They're saying the ring is not a recognized Christian symbol like the cross is. Its an easy decision for them to make , again, in my opinion.

I take offense to you saying that the christian world does not make sense. I am a christian because I have salvation through Jesus Christ and every other person in this world that has found the same salvation that I have found are christians as well and they are my brother or sister in Christ and we will one day live together in heaven. How can that not make sense.

This entire situation is the Devil working to make us mortasl find a way to put each opther down and act in ways that are not God like, he feeds off of this stuff: Evil breeds Evil.

I agree with the person that posted: If the school has a no jewlery policy than they should make no exceptions or change the policy and let the kids wear what they want. I am the chairperson of my high schools discipline committee and you can not make a policy like "no jewlery allowed to be worn" and then make exceptions and still find a way for the rule to be fair to everyone. If any intity in this senario makes no sense it is the school for making a policy and then making exceptions to that policy.

In closing, I have posted many times on the R & P threads and I have never been so blatently disrespectul as you were in this post toward christians(IMO)

"csha81" and what is so funny is by reading many of your posts I think you have salvation through Christ in which case you are a christian and have been disrespectfull to yourself.

I will tell you this, if you are a christian I love you as a brother or a sister and if you are not I still love you and will pray that you find salvation in my Lord Jesus Christ. I have decide that I will pray continually for the christians who post on the R & P thread that they will always post in a loving manner so that they will never offend their brother or sister in Christ or anyone else for that matter.