Who will be Mr. Football 2007?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the first year in a while where the award isn't determined before the season starts. It should make for an interesting Mr. Football race no matter who gets it.

I don't know scribe, last season I personally thought that Victor Anderson was the favorite prior to kickoff. But conversely, it was still a three horse race in the mind of most between Anderson, Beaumont, and Minnifield.

This year I really can't say off hand who would be the favorite, or even if there are clear coupling of individuals.

EJ Fields at Frankfort has the potential to stake his claim. He is a D-1 recruit (which always helps), will have a schedule which will alow him to win alot of games and put up good stats, his team should be a definite state title contender in their class, and his Central KY geographical location will help in media attention. But, on the flip side he is playing at a very small school and won't be facing the top tier competition to judge him against players from bigger schools.

I personally will be a huge Shawn Grimm supporter. The halfback from Johnson Central who led the state in most rushing categories last season is not your typical EKY hype without hope. Grimm led JC to a 13-1 record and state semi's appearance in arguable the toughest class pound for pound in KY last season, 3A. Though JC did not play a tough schedule in the regular season, Grimm did not disappoint in big games as he played well vs. Ashland, ran all over Rockcastle County, and capped off the season by gaining over 200 yards against eventual state champion CovCath. Johnson Central has attempted to upgrade their schedule by adding traditional small class powerhouse and Top 5 3A Belfry on the road, a pre-season top 5 3A team in Louisville Central, as well as traditionally competitive NKY Conner, in addition to playing Ashland. Grimm's biggest porblem wll be garnering media attention, but in terms of qualifications from a statistical viewpoint few will be better.

I don't know scribe, last season I personally thought that Victor Anderson was the favorite prior to kickoff. But conversely, it was still a three horse race in the mind of most between Anderson, Beaumont, and Minnifield.

Everyone outside of Louisville knew it was Beaumont's to win if he stayed healthy.

I think the top ten candidates now are (in class order)...

1. E.J. Fields - QB (Frankfort)

2. Leland Banks - QB (Central)

3. John Cole - WR (Somerset)

4. Ryan Wallace - TE (Bowling Green)

5. Shawn Grimm - RB (Johnson Central)

6. Cory Farris - RB (Boone County)

7. Brandon Newman - DL (PRP)

8. Dexter Heyman - DE (Male)

9. Aaron Boyd - WR (Henry Clay)

10. Alex Matthews - QB (Shelby County)

Lineman usually don't get much consideration for Mr.Football, but if you are going to include them in your list, I would like to add Trinitys' Sam Roby. He has been 1st team all state his sophomore and junior seasons and has already received offers from several D1 schools.

Cashen of Corbin has his best team since his freshman season. Finally Corbin has a solid line, solid receiver core, good backfield, and experience. If Corbin makes a strong push towards a state title, I think Clint has a very good shot if he puts up good numbers.

That's a really solid list.

The one name that sticks out to me is Banks at Louisville Central. With the Yellowjacket's gauntlet of a schedule his chances will either be made or broken fairly early.