UC Irvine 8 Arizona State 7 (10in) (CWS game10)

oldrambler

UC Irvine wins in extra innings for the 2nd night in a row!

Wow, what a baseball game again, I have said that quite a few times in this years CWS, it has been one of the most competitive ones that I have seen.

Irvine was behind 7-3 in the 8th inning, tied it in the bottom of the 8th.

Irvine will advance to play Oregon State.

Dang it! I wanted Arizona State to win it.....I figured they could at least beat the Beavers once....

With the way this Irvine team is playing I wouldn't count them out,

Finding pitchers for the rest of the way may be tough, 13in last night, 10in tonight, I don't know how many arms they will have left.

With the way this Irvine team is playing I wouldn't count them out,

Finding pitchers for the rest of the way may be tough, 13in last night, 10in tonight, I don't know how many arms they will have left.

I really don't care who wins. I just don't want to see a repeat. If I had to choose a team to root for, I'd have to say Rice.

I really don't care who wins. I just don't want to see a repeat. If I had to choose a team to root for, I'd have to say Rice.

:thumb: I agree, although it would not bother me to see Oregon State repeat. I am pulling for Rice bc of Coach Wayne Grahm. ( I think that he is really Sparky Anderson - LOL, he looks like Sparky and even has actions like him)

Stikymitts is attending one heck of a tournament !

13 innings and 5+ hours on Monday was enough to do us in. Luckily it was the first day that it wasn't 90+ degrees out. GREAT tourney though. Wonderful atmosphere, I've learned a few things. I wouldn't say that everyone needs to go one time. You really need to go twice. The first time you'll be overwhelmed and won't necessarily know how to navigate in the stadium and through the crowds. The second time you'll know exactly what to do. WHEN I go next year, I'll have a much better plan. Baseball at it's best...

13 innings and 5+ hours on Monday was enough to do us in. Luckily it was the first day that it wasn't 90+ degrees out. GREAT tourney though. Wonderful atmosphere, I've learned a few things. I wouldn't say that everyone needs to go one time. You really need to go twice. The first time you'll be overwhelmed and won't necessarily know how to navigate in the stadium and through the crowds. The second time you'll know exactly what to do. WHEN I go next year, I'll have a much better plan. Baseball at it's best...

:thumb: :thumb: Welcome back, glad that you got home safely.

That was a GREAT game to watch. You had to feel badly for that second-baseman (for Irvine) after his whiff (in the field) that led to a couple of knocks.

Anyone know the story of that big dude in the dugout holding the red bat? I missed it, if they gave it, so I was left guessing everytime they showed him (which was every 8 seconds).

Thanks.

I'm jealous. :irked: One of these years I'm going to make it out there.

As for the game, what about that obstruction call on the 3rd base coach? You don't see that everyday. Great call by the umpire.

That was a GREAT game to watch. You had to feel badly for that second-baseman (for Irvine) after his whiff (in the field) that led to a couple of knocks.

Anyone know the story of that big dude in the dugout holding the red bat? I missed it, if they gave it, so I was left guessing everytime they showed him (which was every 8 seconds).

Thanks.

I wondered about that. They kept calling him "The Whammer" or some such nickname. How that guy got so much face time is beyond me.

Other than that, it was a very entertaining game. I thought the interference call against the 3rd base coach would kill Irvine's momentum, but they found a way to win.

For this team to be playing in the CWS is a story of it's own but to be playing the way they are is just incredible. They never give up and always seem to find a way to win.

Rice is my favorite to win the Championship but you have to be pulling for the Anteaters also.

This is what makes college baseball so special. The players play because they love the game and give everything they have to succeeed.

McPapa, I did my own research since you and I were getting no help on this mythical "Whammer." His name is Zach Robinson, he is a senior, he has hit about .275 over the last two years with no home runs (shocked? Me too). He appears to be some sort of campus icon / hero...here is a Q & A with said dude....

http://www.athletics.uci.edu/TRA/2005-06AskAnAnt/RobinsonAnswer.html