JV/V Team Camp Games @ Thomas More

Towles I heard has a mild fracture of her leg. She should be back in three to four weeks. She scored 26 or 27 points playing on that leg in the AAU state tournament a couple of weeks ago. I think she'll make a difference when she returns.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant had 9 there for the game (3 were freshman last yr). I am sure the new coach is figuring out what he has this summer or what he is going to have to go with this fall. Or maybe a big competitive streak...Mercy did whip on Grant a bit earlier in the week. It was difficult for the Grant team in this game as their ex-coach was present & it was the first time they played with Richey present and not coaching them. Highland's guard Allen is recovering from injury. Not sure about the others.

IMO, if the coach only played 6 players and did not play the 3 sophs to be, he was trying to win the game and didn't care about seeing what he would have for next year. Summer is about building your team for the upcoming season. Sometime throughtout next season, he may have to rely on one of those sophs to help GC. JV ball and Varsity ball is two totally different animals and with the kids not getting any PT this summer will hurt, not help.

IMO, if the coach only played 6 players and did not play the 3 sophs to be, he was trying to win the game and didn't care about seeing what he would have for next year. Summer is about building your team for the upcoming season. Sometime throughtout next season, he may have to rely on one of those sophs to help GC. JV ball and Varsity ball is two totally different animals and with the kids not getting any PT this summer will hurt, not help.

We agree. I also liked HHS approach of not shooting FTs, inbounding the ball instead to run a play. Shooting 1 FT to gain 2 pts accomplishes nothing. The 4 young kids that played gained a great deal of experience this week:thumb:

We agree. I also liked HHS approach of not shooting FTs, inbounding the ball instead to run a play. Shooting 1 FT to gain 2 pts accomplishes nothing. The 4 young kids that played gained a great deal of experience this week:thumb:

Those were the game rules. All the games were supposed to be played that way.

The new coach had the opportunity for just 3 practices before this week. He does not have a JV coach or a F coach yet. It cracks me up that 1 game, in summer, means he doesn't care about building the team? I heard the coach several times call out one of the whole 2 plays he had a chance to work on in those 3 practices & specifically say run it through. Would he do that if it was all about the win? Those kids did play in games at Thomas More. There were 7other games. Some good, some really bad. But all got PT. Grant won just 2 (or maybe 3...can't remember...see how important the win column was for me!) games. 1 of them just happened to be against Highlands.

Well I guess that both teams got out of it what they wanted. Grant got the win and HHS got everyone in. Nice job to both teams. Do these teams play in the regular season?

No. Grant Co has a way to go in order to compete at the level Highlands plays in the regular season. I would bet that many of the girls playing summer ball at HHS will not be dressed Varsity for them in the fall. If the normal rotation was in, Grant would not have won the game they did.

The new coach had the opportunity for just 3 practices before this week. He does not have a JV coach or a F coach yet. It cracks me up that 1 game, in summer, means he doesn't care about building the team? I heard the coach several times call out one of the whole 2 plays he had a chance to work on in those 3 practices & specifically say run it through. Would he do that if it was all about the win? Those kids did play in games at Thomas More. There were 7other games. Some good, some really bad. But all got PT. Grant won just 2 (or maybe 3...can't remember...see how important the win column was for me!) games. 1 of them just happened to be against Highlands.

You don't think there something behind Grant playing to win? Not playing all the players and holding the ball at the end suggest something else. Parents seemed pretty excited about the W. Most cheering I had heard after any game this week. Nobodies going to remember any of the scores of these games 1 week from now.

Thats why I liked the fact that the Birds inbounded the ball instead of shooting 1 FT. Could mean 10 to 20 more possesions to work on the O.

Agreed on the time to work...works great for summer ball. I think the rule was if you were fouled on the shot, you just took 1 & got the other. No fouls were counted, so no 1-1 etc. If you made it & got fouled, I can't remember if they shot it or not. But I do specifically remember HHS shooting freethrows in that game. That was when the Grant coach was asking me kid questions about what she was seeing happening in the game & testing her knowledge about what should happen when, etc. etc.

You don't think there something behind Grant playing to win? Not playing all the players and holding the ball at the end suggest something else. Parents seemed pretty excited about the W. Most cheering I had heard after any game this week. Nobodies going to remember any of the scores of these games 1 week from now.

There is some animosity from just a few parents (and a player or 2) about their ex-coach, Bert Richey. He was there on the Highlands bench, which is where he should be, supporting his wife & her team. He is not coach at Grant Co anymore. The girls did play extra hard. Some for different reasons maybe than others, but the girls did want to win. I know my kid wants to win no matter who it is, summer ball or not. Sometimes parents forget themselves though don't they! I personally was just glad to see my daughter play well against some good competition this week. She had opportunities to play against some teams she normally doesn't & learned she could play well against them.

There is some animosity from just a few parents (and a player or 2) about their ex-coach, Bert Richey. He was there on the Highlands bench, which is where he should be, supporting his wife & her team. He is not coach at Grant Co anymore. The girls did play extra hard. Some for different reasons maybe than others, but the girls did want to win. I know my kid wants to win no matter who it is, summer ball or not. Sometimes parents forget themselves though don't they! I personally was just glad to see my daughter play well against some good competition this week. She had opportunities to play against some teams she normally doesn't & learned she could play well against them.

Good luck to your daughter. Hard work in the summer pays dividends in the fall.:thumb:

I've had a chance to see Bellevue, Grant Co, Dayton, Ludlow, Beechwood, Dixie, Highlands, and Villa play so far.

Grant Co has been the most impressive. They play hard nosed defense and are very physical.

Ludlow is alright and have a few play makers who could make Ludlow a bit of a surprised team this year.

Dixie is going to have a long year. Their offense is pretty much get the ball to Shanece Miller and let her do whatever.

Dayton, Bellevue, Villa, and Beechwood could be in for a long season. Bellevue has been alright but have only been playing with 3 starters so can't really get a good gauge on them.

As for Highlands they'll be fine. They have probably been the hardest working team I've seen play so far.

I've had a chance to see Bellevue, Grant Co, Dayton, Ludlow, Beechwood, Dixie, Highlands, and Villa play so far.

Grant Co has been the most impressive. They play hard nosed defense and are very physical.

Ludlow is alright and have a few play makers who could make Ludlow a bit of a surprised team this year.

Dixie is going to have a long year. Their offense is pretty much get the ball to Shanece Miller and let her do whatever.

Dayton, Bellevue, Villa, and Beechwood could be in for a long season. Bellevue has been alright but have only been playing with 3 starters so can't really get a good gauge on them.

As for Highlands they'll be fine. They have probably been the hardest working team I've seen play so far.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I just wanted to point out that the Ludlow team you have watched play has been missing two starters for this camp because of injuries in Brooke Jones and Ashley Daughtery. Brooke will probably be the girl who is handling the ball the most for Ludlow during the season, and Ashley Daughtery is probably the favorite to be the player of the year in the conference, and will be one of the best players in the whole region this year. So Ludlow has been doing this without two very important players, and they have still looked good as you said. So I know I looking forward to see how they do this year because should be a really big year this year for them, and I know Coach Stamm and his assistants Mike and Blake Clary will have them ready!