JV/V Team Camp Games @ Thomas More

Lots of teams participating in the event this week from northern Kentucky as well as several from across the river. Didn't get a chance to see many games last night, but a couple of observations....Grant County new coach debut...different style of play for the team...will be interesting to see how this team develops. They fared well against Boone County, although there were notable absences for Boone. Mercy (from Cincy) gave Highlands & Grant Co a lot to handle last night. TALL post players. Watched Dixie Heights a bit, may be a tough year for them, but this is the summer session.

On other teams, recovering players not on the court, Daughtery from Ludlow (shoulder) & Allen (shoulder) for Highlands. Have heard both will have long recoveries, but should return for the regular season.

Hope to see a few more teams in action the rest of the week. It is interesting to watch, as team coaches are more likely to try new stuff, play combinations of players not normally used & so on. It is also much more apparent it seems in the summer session which players continue to work after the regular season & which do not.

Any other BGP'rs in attendance?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of teams participating in the event this week from northern Kentucky as well as several from across the river. Didn't get a chance to see many games last night, but a couple of observations....Grant County new coach debut...different style of play for the team...will be interesting to see how this team develops. They fared well against Boone County, although there were notable absences for Boone. Mercy (from Cincy) gave Highlands & Grant Co a lot to handle last night. TALL post players. Watched Dixie Heights a bit, may be a tough year for them, but this is the summer session.

On other teams, recovering players not on the court, Daughtery from Ludlow (shoulder) & Allen (shoulder) for Highlands. Have heard both will have long recoveries, but should return for the regular season.

Hope to see a few more teams in action the rest of the week. It is interesting to watch, as team coaches are more likely to try new stuff, play combinations of players not normally used & so on. It is also much more apparent it seems in the summer session which players continue to work after the regular season & which do not.

Any other BGP'rs in attendance?

I am there every night. Mercy's varsity team is very good.

Last time i watch Grant that was all they did was run the ball and play great man defense. They couldnt score in a half court game very well. Just hope this year we can beat them this year. Beechwood is looking better.

I thought it was interesting that Grant stalled at the end of the game to run out the clock. Don't know if I've ever seen that employed in a summer league game. Grant did play well.

Me either! Maybe he was trying to see if they actually could stall (or helping my kid....she was having big problems in that game with leg cramps...trainer had her afterwards to get her legs stretched out).

I was there for the 2nd half and noticed that HHS was playing a lot kids and Grant did not. Never seen the stall in the summer game but I guess Grant really wanted to win. Where were all HHS starters? I saw two of them on the bench looked to be hurt but i didnt see the other two. Congrats to Grant, you could tell they really wanted that game.

Grant had 9 there for the game (3 were freshman last yr). I am sure the new coach is figuring out what he has this summer or what he is going to have to go with this fall. Or maybe a big competitive streak...Mercy did whip on Grant a bit earlier in the week. It was difficult for the Grant team in this game as their ex-coach was present & it was the first time they played with Richey present and not coaching them. Highland's guard Allen is recovering from injury. Not sure about the others.

I was there for the 2nd half and noticed that HHS was playing a lot kids and Grant did not. Never seen the stall in the summer game but I guess Grant really wanted to win. Where were all HHS starters? I saw two of them on the bench looked to be hurt but i didnt see the other two. Congrats to Grant, you could tell they really wanted that game.

Towles sidelined. Messmer had another commitment (there for the Glen Este game) Bressler coming back next week. HHS dressed and played 3 incoming Frosh and 1 7th grader. Kudos to HHS staff as the younger girls played even minutes with the older girls. Great experience for them:thumb:

I thought it was interesting that Grant stalled at the end of the game to run out the clock. Don't know if I've ever seen that employed in a summer league game.

Asked my daughter about the stall at the end of the game. She told me that coach called her to the sideline when Highlands was at the freethrow line with a minute or 2 to go & Grant Co up by 10 maybe. He asked her what would she do if it was a real game, not summer. She told him she would slow the game down. He told her that it's real game time then, let me see you do it. She said he didn't tell her specifically what to do, just do what you she should do if it was a real game situation. Although my kid hates the term...looks like it was just a bit of a "basketball IQ" check.

Towles sidelined. Messmer had another commitment (there for the Glen Este game) Bressler coming back next week. HHS dressed and played 3 incoming Frosh and 1 7th grader. Kudos to HHS staff as the younger girls played even minutes with the older girls. Great experience for them:thumb:

Is Towles injured?